Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Passionario » Mon May 26, 2014 5:28 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Why is everyone suddenly playing Murloc Warlock again? (This one seems to be built with some of the Zoo cards in it.)

Same reason why so many people are playing Shaman again: Unleash the Hounds got nerfed.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby tlitp » Mon May 26, 2014 7:27 am

A couple of questions for the folks who've played both Estiah and HS. I see that Jabari/Passionario are still around.
1. What made you stop playing E1, given the fact that you weren't even close, objectively, to "finishing" that game?
2. What makes you keep playing HS, after the elation of the first few games/weeks is gone?
3. How would you "sell" HS to someone with E1 background, but no HS experience?
tlitp

Postby Paxen » Mon May 26, 2014 7:55 am

Paladin's been very good to me lately. I'm back at rank 5 with Shockadin (previous best was a very short stop at 11), and today I finished an arena run at 11-3 - beat my previous personal best of 9 wins, and sooo close to topping out. I did that with a slightly unbalanced paladin deck: http://imgur.com/lQ0ecWk.jpg

Very good point about UtH. What other changes in the meta has that brought? Hunter's practically dead, as far as I can see.
Last edited by Paxen on Mon May 26, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paxen

Postby Passionario » Mon May 26, 2014 8:03 am

tlitp wrote:A couple of questions for the folks who've played both Estiah and HS. I see that Jabari/Passionario are still around.
1. What made you stop playing E1, given the fact that you weren't even close, objectively, to "finishing" that game?
2. What makes you keep playing HS, after the elation of the first few games/weeks is gone?
3. How would you "sell" HS to someone with E1 background, but no HS experience?

I don't know about the objective distance, but subjectively, it felt pretty close - by the time I quit, I finished all the dungeons, including Unbound and Bloody Deliverance, and got my 100 Coliseum wins/5K+ PvP rating. Grinding out level 52+ and assembling a perfect epic/crafted charm set wasn't really something that I was interested in.

That said, the real reason why I quit is because one of my close IRL friends died at that time. Logging in and seeing all his idle characters in the guild roster hurt too much :(

Oh, and I don't really play much HS these days, either - usually just a daily or two while waiting for the LFR queue to pop.
Passionario

Postby Paxen » Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 am

This looks surprisingly cool: http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/off-top ... chogall#c3

Fanmade Cho'gall/Twilight's Hammer cards.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 am

I've now reached rank 5 with my Mage deck. I've calculated that with my current win rate (53.5%), it should take me over 700 games to hit Legendary (25 more wins than losses, no win streaks). That's about triple what I've played so far this season.

Edit: Guess what: this post was followed by an epic losing streak that dropped me back to rank 7.
KysenMurrin

Postby Schroom » Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 pm

yeah i calculated something similar and fairly I have to say that I don't have the time to play that much in a month to legitimately reach legendary without huge winstreaks.

so I sit back a bit from HS and only play it very casually and do my dailys. Knowing that I could reach legendary if I would invest the time for it.
Schroom

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:28 am

Hearthstone hates me today. It hates me so much that after a seven game losing streak against a series of Warriors and Druids, as soon as I got matched with a class I have a favourable matchup against, it froze for 30 seconds at the mulligan then declared a loss to both sides.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Wed May 28, 2014 2:11 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I've now reached rank 5 with my Mage deck. I've calculated that with my current win rate (53.5%), it should take me over 700 games to hit Legendary (25 more wins than losses, no win streaks). That's about triple what I've played so far this season.

Edit: Guess what: this post was followed by an epic losing streak that dropped me back to rank 7.

I think the key to advancing is still streaks, even without the bonus star you get at rank 6 or higher. I've had bad streaks, but I've logged off after a few losses - I think streaks are a function of luck, yes, but also who's online and playing and if you're alert or not. Quitting when you see you've started a bad streak will limit your loss, and then you can ride the good streaks.

Like just now when I blasted past rank 4 (from 5 to 3) in half an hour! Woo! Got up to 3 stars in rank 3, and then it turned around a bit (3-3 at rank 3, total of 10-5 in the session).
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 am

New mage card:

Duplicate: 3 mana, Secret: When a friendly minion dies, put two copies of it into your hand.

Not sure about this one.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Well if you could manage to trigger it on the right cards... imagine suddently having 2 ragnaros in your hand, and the enemy just wasted his last removal on your actual Ragnaros...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Yeah, but playing out Ragnaros three turns in a row is pretty slow and not very effective if they've got multiple minions on the board.
KysenMurrin

Postby Kai » Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

same problem with the +3+2 paladin secret that procs when a guy on your side dies. with secrets only triggering on your opponents turn, getting anything out of these when your opponent knows what he's doing won't be an easy task. probably just too situational and difficult to set up to actually do something.
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm

This one's much harder to play around, though. You don't want to just leave their minion alive when you could have killed it.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 am

KysenMurrin wrote:New mage card:

Duplicate: 3 mana, Secret: When a friendly minion dies, put two copies of it into your hand.

Not sure about this one.

Two words: Lorewalker Cho.
Passionario

Postby Worldie » Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 pm

What makes the card "not op" is the fact that it costs 3 mana, so you can't just play a legendary and it toghether, you have to carefully plan it.
Which is why I don't think it'll make it in the high rank play unless you have a deck revolving on a very strong low cost minion that enemy is forced to remove (say Cho or Nat Pagle or similar stuff), which I don't think is the case in the current meta.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 30, 2014 3:00 pm

What keeps coming up elsewhere is that this card will find a place in aggro decks. Being able to refill your hand is a key part of aggro play, so even if this just gives you two Leper Gnomes, or Wolf Riders, or Loot Hoarders, it's a strong card. It'll be pretty much like Arcane Intellect in those decks.

In other news, I dropped the mage after I got stuck back down at rank 7 and knew I wouldn't get high up again. I have switched to a pretty standard Shaman, and so far in 12 games played I got 9 wins. For some reason I'm finding the mirror match against Shaman really easy.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 am

I supposed I'm just weird & suicidal for doing rankeds as Priest

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat May 31, 2014 4:01 pm

Ended the season rank 4. Almost hit rank 3 this morning, but dropped back down.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:32 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Ended the season rank 4. Almost hit rank 3 this morning, but dropped back down.

Ended at rank 1. I think I had four matches at 5 stars, one victory away from Legend - lost them all. Sigh.
Paxen

Postby Passionario » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:26 am

Ended up at rank 11 solely through dailies.
Passionario

Postby Torquemada » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Started playing with a variant of the Shockadin deck. The only changes I'm running from the current version are to drop the Hammer of Wraths for Knife Jugglers and to replace the Noble Sacrifice with a Light's Justice.

More than half of what I go up against are Zoo Locks, and I'm finding the LJ to be more valuable turn after turn than a one-time Noble Sac. Additionally, the Hammer of Wraths cost too much and go against the purpose of Divine Favor by adding to your hand after use, and are a waste of mana to drop most of the Zoo minions. I also ran up against someone who wasted an Ooze to drop my LJ, freeing me to pull out a Truesilver Champion the next turn.

I tried also changing the Worgen Infiltrators for Argent Defenders to help keep up the Knife Jugglers, but I found that I wasn't getting much value from them, and they were actually hurting my mulligan draws at the beginning of the game. The Worgen aren't that great unless you get them in a starting hand or from a DF, but that's the point.

The other deck I face rather heavily is Control/Ramp druid, and in addition to helping to give board advantage or attacking the face with KJs, they become excellent fodder for Wrath and other spells Druids bring, allowing me to drop Wolfriders and other minions without nearly as much difficulty.

Too bad I'm only getting to play dailies since I'm currently working nights and trying to finish my master's thesis.
Torquemada

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:30 am

I wonder when they'll get around to adding a Holy Shock card to the game. It's a pretty iconic Paladin spell and it's missing.

(My thought is it could be a versatile card, like "Deal 4 damage to an enemy character, or restore 4 health to a friendly character".)
KysenMurrin

Postby Kai » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:46 am

played a bit with an aggro paladin deck, mostly to do dailies. built it a bit more aggressive and without AV, consecration and hammer. wanted to keep mana cost low to make the most of divine favor. had BoK though, that was really good for me. also used raging worgen. most of the time ok-ish 3 drop that just gets killed, but if it lives and especially if you have a BoK, it can be pretty impressive.

abusive sergeant, argent squire, leper gnome, shieldbearer, young priestress
argent protector, dire wolf alpha, knife juggler
raging worgen
defender of argus, leeroy

1 blessing of might, 1 equality, 1 sword of justice, 2 divine favor, 2 truesilver champion, 2 blessing of kings

Doubt there's a mathcup where this is better then warlock aggro though. sometmies divine favor is super impressive, but if you don't draw it, runs out of steam quite often. and the paladin hero power is just very unimpressive.
Kai

Postby Paxen » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:09 am

Noble Sacrifice is there to give you an extra turn against decks like Handlock and Control Warrior, but Handlock is already a good matchup and Control Warrior was very rare last season, so I can see the argument for dropping them. Don't agree that Hammer of Wrath is bad for the card draw - more card draw is critical, and it gives you another source in addition to Divine Favor.

Druid is my worst matchup, so I should try that Juggler swap.

edit: Juggler doesn't do a lot (other than soaking up removal, but what else in my deck needs to be protected from removal? Leeroy?). Druid still sucks, so I'm going to try to swap it with 2x Owl instead (sooooo many taunts :( )
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games