Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 am

Yeah. The main thing with this deck is this: if you armor then attack, you end with the same effective health total, but lower armor, meaning smaller Shield Slams. Alexstrasza is a rarer thing, but can be an issue in mirror matches, for example.

Armor is identical to health for everything except Shield Slam, Alexstrasza, and in other decks Mortal Strike, Molten Giants, and I guess Battle Rage (used to also matter for Water Elementals, but not since the launch patch). Those cases mean armor is more important to preserve.

Well, there's one case I've come across where high armor is bad. That's when your opponent has 10 health, you have 10 mana, and your only cards are Grommash Hellscream and Shield Slam. :lol: (I had to take a few extra turns, mentally begging the guy to hit my face and reduce my armor total, because I didn't draw into any other ways of activating Grommash.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Schroom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 am

on my further researches for metagame shifts and deck analysis I encountered somebody who showed me this page I didn't know before:

http://hearthstats.net/

it's for HS what WoL/WCL is for WoW

this is how it works,

1. you enter you're decks you want to analyze
2. you download, install and launch the app
3. you play games with the decks you want to analyze
4. you have a look at you're profile and see a lot of data for you're deck and see how it competes in the current meta ;-)

here is an example of a Handlock that's sitting at rank 6 atm. (the guy who told me about this tool.)

http://hearthstats.net/decks/big-friends
Schroom

Postby Paxen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Kai wrote:not a big fan of argent commander in this deck anyway. cairne is also pretty expensive at 6. having lots of cards that 2-1 your opponent (force him to trade 2 of his for 1 of yours) is obviously good, but you still need to be quick with a deck like this. you won't beat a true control deck (warlock, druid, warrior etc) in late game, their cards are more powerful.

defender of argus is pretty tough to replace, it's so good. but the others aren't too bad. I like a more aggressive version better, something like

Crafted a couple of Defenders of Argus and threw together this version then took it for a spin:

2 Backstab
2 Deadly Poison
2 Argent Squire
1 Betrayal
2 Eviscerate
1 Sap
2 Defias Ringleader
2 Kobold Geomancer (poor man's Thalnos)
2 Loot Hoarder
1 Perdition's Blade
2 Harvest Golem
2 Scarlet Crusader
2 SI:7 Agent
2 Defender of Argus
1 Spellbreaker
2 Spiteful Smith
2 Ravenholdt Assassin
1 Molten Giant

Won 3 in Casual then went 3-3 in ranked (at rank 14). Each card was useful at some point, then one I doubt the most is the Giant. It almost saved vs a Lock that played Millhouse Manastorm turn 2 and milked him for all he's worth. I like it, but I need to tinker with it more if I want to move up the ranks (my rogue aggro deck is also stuck at rank 14).

Any common cards I could swap in?
Paxen

Postby Kai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:06 am

not a fan of the kobold and the 7 mana assassin. would probably play yeti instead of the 7 mana guy at least. and millhouse manastorm, no clue why people are playing that. even if it doesn't backfire, it's not THAT good. a 4/4 for 2 is obviously breaking the curve, but it's not super insane. if a druid innervates out a yeti on turn 2, it's not like he just wins.
and if that thing backfires .... some dude played that on turn 4 or 5 vs me playing druid control. swpie, wrath, force of nature, savage roar. why, thank you.
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 am

Control Warrior has now carried me to rank 5 and rising. I think I have a chance, though it'll take a lot of games. 7 days left.

I now have a decent set of cards for Warrior, Mage, Druid, and Shaman (not all cards, but enough to make good decks). Other classes I've mostly disenchanted to craft those (so I only have the basic sets). Which class should I work on next?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 am

Agree that Manastorm isn't that awesome, but everything just went right for him that game - out on turn two, I had no spells in hand, and no way to deal with him.

Good idea with the Yetis - I'll try it.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm

So, after I got halfway through rank 4, I went onto a big losing streak, and now I've been stuck at rank 6 for three days. Blarg.

(In other news, my new favourite move is casting Brawl while I have Sylvanas on the board. I cannot lose!)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:38 am

Connection seems to be crapping out on me more often lately, even freezing in the middle of a game, and now I've got a queue to log into the battle.net launcher. Hope this isn't because of an entirely different game they happen to have just released...

Also, can someone go kick whoever programmed the battle.net client queue screen to pop up and steal focus every few seconds?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Learned the trick to beating Hunter almost every time as Warrior. It's as simple as armoring up every turn from turn 4 onward, treating your mana as if you have 2 less. That, and refusing under almost any circumstances to hit their minions with your hero's weapon.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Learned the trick to beating Hunter almost every time as Warrior. It's as simple as armoring up every turn from turn 4 onward, treating your mana as if you have 2 less. That, and refusing under almost any circumstances to hit their minions with your hero's weapon.

Is this because the hunter is trying to rush you, and eventually runs out of gas? Normally using weapons to remove minions is a solid play...
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am

Indeed. I've found I can rarely afford to lose the extra life. Because the Hunter gets damage out of almost every minion on the turn it's played, you have to race them. Cancel out their hero power with yours, hit them in the face for efficient damage (Fiery War Axe becomes a 2 mana Fireball to the face), and restrict yourself to 2 minions on the board.

Because you're playing against Unleash the Hounds, you can favour trading a minion if you have no spells for removal - you have to trade minions to be able to play more safely. You're forced by the rush deck to value your life total.

Before I started doing this my win rate going 2nd was less than 15%. Now it's 57%.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 am

I feel like I'm posting in this topic way too much lately. But:

Season over, I was at rank 4. New system means I start the first official season with 21 bonus stars - middle of rank 17. My first matches of the new system were against a rank 22 basic Shaman deck and a Murloc Warlock, so two free wins to start off. (Really, nothing makes me happier than when I'm all geared up for a tough Warlock match and they drop a turn one Murloc.)

How did you all do?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:14 am

I made rank 12, almost exclusively with my rogue aggro deck. I'm trying out a druid tempo deck based on this now, only got to rank 19 (from 20) so far. Probably a mix of needing to learn to play the deck and facing others who had higher rank last season.
Paxen

Postby Paxen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 am

Man, Force of Nature + Savage Roar is pretty neat. 14 damage straight from your hand, +2 for every minion you already have in play. And you can divide it between up to four targets

edit: rank 16
Paxen

Postby Kai » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 am

yeah, beats me why everyone only plays 1 copy of each. i always want to draw the combo and drawing them individually hardly every hurts, especially if you play a few more early minions. svg roar also buffs your hero, so if you have an argent squire in play, it's a pretty good removal spell. force of nature on 6 mana is great against aggressive decks and trades 1-1 against mostly everything for 6 mana the opponent can have.
Kai

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games