Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 am

Off the current subject, but I'm just playing an Arena run and it turns out that Innervate -> Demolisher is an amazing opener. Tears apart the opponent's field for the first coule of turns.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

The only thing better than that is Innervate -> Alarm-o-Bot -> Turn 2 Ragnaros/Geddon/Ysera.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Or turn 1 innervate-innervate-coin Hogger.

In other news: I just got a Pyroblast in a pack. Yay 400 dust.

Also, I've been playing Arena a lot the last few days, and I've not had a single card or piece of dust as reward - nothing but gold, every time. That seems... odd.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:55 am

Update on the Shaman deck:

With the extra dust I got from arena packs, I crafted two Molten Giants. I swapped these in for 1 x Earth Shock and 1 x Fire Elemental.

The deck is feeling better, but still inconsistent. Some games I'll have too much card draw, other games I'll have the wrong cards and no draw in hand. Some games I feel like I have too much finisher in the deck, other times it never quite lines up. I had a few games where Alexstrasza felt unnecessary, then others where I had done no damage to the face and felt like I really needed her.

I decided to try dropping Doomhammer and Alexstrasza, but then had a game against a Mage who did no direct damage and found I didn't have a finisher I could play. I like the idea of Doomhammer as a combo possibility with Alex, but not sure I need it.

Alexstrasza is going back in, I'm sure. I dropped two Unbound Elementals for two Earthen Ring Farseers. I almost talked myself into a second Hex, but then realised the game that prompted that was just misplayed (I saw Taz'dingo and Yeti and assumed I was playing a cheap deck, then after I'd used Hex and Tinkmaster they dropped Malygos).

I think I need something to allow more removal, so I might try to put Flametongue Totems in, so I can use my totems to kill small minions.

So, probable deck to try tonight:

Earth Shock x 1
Forked Lightning x 2
Lightning Bolt x 2
Rockbiter Weapon x 2
Flametongue Totem x 1
Windfury x 2
Novice Engineer x 2
Wild Pyromancer x 1
Bloodmage Thalnos
Feral Spirit x 2
Earthen Ring Farseer x 2
Lightning Storm x 2
Hex x 1
Mana Tide Totem x 1
Tinkmaster Overspark
Leeroy Jenkins
Goblin Auctioneer x 2
Fire Elemental x 1
Alexstrasza
Molten Giant x 2

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 am

Okay, time to share/ask for suggestions.

Mage deck;

2x Arcane Missile
2x Mirror Image
1x Shieldbearer
2x Arcane Explosion
2x Frostbolt
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Kobold Geomance
2x Arcane intellect
2x Dalaran Mage
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Ogre Magi
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Archmage
1x Lord of the Arena
2x Flamestrike
1x Pyroblast

After having played 7 games with a 7/0 record (both casual and ranked) I'm feeling pretty good about this deck. I am considering whethe rI want the polymorphs in there (maybe drop one)as I don't seem to use them much (think I used 1), but I like having the backup option to get rid of some mob (especially because it doubles as a silence, so I can get rid of pesky turn/deathrattle abilities).

I am playing it slow, not playing down my spelldamage minions till I have a taunt out, and keeping my damage cards on hand till I have spelldamage on the board.

Is there any obvious vuldnerability you uys see in this deck that can be remedied without seriously impairing the trifecta of damage, damageboost and blockers(taunts)?
(I only attack with minions if the path is clear, and don't fret over removing taunts from my opponent unless I don't have any and they are high attack)

I can usually dish out ~20 damage on turn 9+10 together (if not more - but allowing for what I've generally seen so far of the clearing of my spellpower minions)
There does seem to be an odd lack of clearing my spell power minions, maybe it isn't expected that I carry so many at the rank I'm at so far (22*, just with this deck and win streak) - so, waht should I be prepared for? (also, what would you term the theme/type of deck?)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:21 am

I don't think many decks these days take double Flamestrike. They can be a bit of a burden in your hand if you draw them early, and if you're doing well you shouldn't really need to spend two entire turns doing such heavy AoE clear. I'm also not keen on Arcane Explosion because of the low damage, but I guess you'd almost always play a Geomancer or Bloodmage on the same turn.

I'm not all that keen on Lord of the Arena - he's a bigger threat, yes, but he's just as easy to kill as the 4 mana Shieldmasta. I'd say the 2 Shieldmastas and 2 Mirror Images, played when needed, are probably enough taunt. I guess you're using taunts to defend the spellpower minions?

Things you might consider: Sorceror's Apprentice; Ice Lance for more burst.

On the vastly more expensive side (and I'm guessing from your deck that this probably isn't an option you can go for right now) I'd say you'd be looking longer term to add a Malygos. I've been seeing him a lot since the patch, and he either gets removed or completely devastates the opponent. Him, or Archmage Antonidas. Of course crafting anything like that would be low priority right now (I don't have those ones either). Second Pyroblast is probably top of the list (for reliably drawing into at least one).

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shamora » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 am

Just went 12-2 in the Arena with this Shaman deck

EDIT:

Last edited by Shamora on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:23 am

Niiiice.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am

Hearthstone is now in open beta in the US region, and will go into open beta in the other regions within the next few days.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

Nice Shamora

I'm having troublle with warlock rush decks (for some reason seemingly only murlocs!) unless I get lucky draws of Arcane Explosion or Flamestrike to clear the board. (being completely beaten by turn 7 in a few instances)
Been having a few close calls, some win some lost at the end.

Any suggestions as to what to switch out for a bit more boardclear/low health kills.

(Oh, also, Pyro is a killer if you forget to drag it onto teh opponent and blast one of your minions with it... luckily I still one, it just took one more round, but a rabbit could have been pulled out of the hat there.)
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 am

Haha. I think I've fireballed one of my minions once, and I lost an arena by Hexing the minion next to the one I intended.

Against Warlock decks, you might want to look at Cone of Cold.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Winkle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 am

Nooska wrote:Okay, time to share/ask for suggestions.

Mage deck;

2x Arcane Missile
2x Mirror Image
1x Shieldbearer
2x Arcane Explosion
2x Frostbolt
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Kobold Geomance
2x Arcane intellect
2x Dalaran Mage
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Ogre Magi
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Archmage
1x Lord of the Arena
2x Flamestrike
1x Pyroblast

I perosnally think that the shield bearer and arcane explosion give you particularly poor value. I would definitely run 2 mana wirms in this deck. Ogre magi are ok but the Azure drakes do the same but also give you additional card draw. Suprised to not see two apprentices in here, given how many spells you play.

Not a massive fan of lord of the arena, archmage is ok i guess. I would definitely consider water ele's and maybe a sunwalker or two instead.

I think i'd go for Archmage Antonidas over Malygos.
Winkle

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:11 am

Good point about Azure Drakes, I'd agree there. There's a gap at 5 mana in the deck, too, so they'd work great.

I'm looking to update my own decks to fit the new meta right now. Not sure what to do about it. Took a look at StrifeCro's latest Druid deck and it strikes me as strange: 1 Farseer, 1 Savage Roar, 1 Force of Nature. Odd. The addition of the Ancient Watcher/Sunfury Protector combo is unsurprising, though, with the new Hunter everywhere.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:19 am

I, of course, built the deck around what I have. I started with the spellpower idea (MtG red deck based idea) - so I started with all the minions I have with spellpower and teh damage spells I had.

I don't have any mana wyrms (will be put on my list), nor any Azure drakes or apprentices. I like card draw, so Azure drakes will definately also be on my list of "to get".
Shield bearer I picked to have a high health / low cost blocker, I'm not attached to any of my blockers,but I think I am at about the right amount (since I usually have just one too few or one too many).
As for the arcane explosions, what would you replace them with (remember, the only other boardclear I have is the flame strike atm) - I usually only use them with 2+ spell power minions on the table (and never without at least 1, and then only if I need the board cleared) - its a turn 3+ deck, rarely do I do anything in turn 1, and usually a firebolt in turn 2, and then usually a spellpower minion+taunt in turn 3. could be turn 2 if I go second witha coin, but only if my opponent has something I feel the need to block, or to get out more spellpower on the next turn with some damage).

The water elementals I decided against, as they don't help the thought behind the deck (spellpower damage) - they don't provide spellpower, they don't provide taunt, they do provide some blockage through freezing, but from my experiences WE's are a high priority take-out target, in which case it just becomes one of those things to make my opponent 'waste' mana/cards - but if they don't, then I can't use it for much (except to take out taunters / deal a little extra damage)

I like Malygos on the look of it, but really, is there any more to him than 5 SP at a relatively high health (and high prio target)? Antonidas looks more interesting.
As for apprentices (yeahh, jumping back and forth here) - they just add 1/1 minions, right? so what would I want them for (they take space from spellpower, they don't have taunt etc)? (genuine question).

As I can see I never noted LotA - I like having a highcost, relatively high health (and high damage) taunt, forcing my opponent to sac some minions (usually) to get past him - there may be better ways to do so, but if so, I haven't seen them yet (please, do enlighten me :-))

Edit: and with Kysens comment, I will definately look at the azure drakes.

Edit: Another question, with about 600 gold, what would be best, buy packs or go arena (remembering that I am not brilliant at arena (yet?))
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:30 am

Ah, I tend to forget that Azure Drakes aren't Basic. Such a staple card.

Sorceror's Apprentice is the one that reduces all spell costs by 1. It's a Common Mage card, so you'll have to craft it.

Considering the state of your collection at this early point, I'd probably buy a few packs rather than Arena. Disenchant aggressively to get what you need right now. That means nuke any Common, rare, or even epic card from a class you're not currently playing, as well as any low-value card. That's my approach to it, anyway. Lots of neutral minions that are much more vital overall than class cards you might not need for a while.

And regarding Lord of the Arena, if what you want is to force your opponent to deal with it, even a Boulderfist Ogre would do a better job. It might not have taunt, but it's a threat to leave it standing there, and it's a 6/7 rather than a 6/5.

In general, Taunt = lower stats. You'd rather the stat points were taken from Attack not Health. Lord of the Arena is a card that lost its Health to get Taunt. (If you must have taunt? Fen Creeper.)

Quick and dirty value-check for a card: Add up its attack and health. Is it double the mana cost? Then it's probably good value. This is why the Shieldmasta (Taz'dingo) is a good Taunt card - it's 8 stats for 4, and they're in the right place (high health).

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games