Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:07 am

At my rank, it's mostly Rogues, though also lots of Druids, mid-range Warlocks, annoying Mages, the occasional Warrior OTK or Hunter Eaglehorn/Secrets deck. Not a lot of giants except in those Warriors and some Warlocks, really.

Just been watching a stream from someone at Legendary and he was very suprised when he came up against the secrets Hunter and a Rogue playing Assassinate, so I think there's actually some big differences in meta within just a few ranks up or down (those players were matching him from rank 4).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 pm

I think I got to rank 24... (but I'm not sure if I played enough ranked to get out of angry chicken)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 am

Logged on this morning and the ladder hadn't reset. Thought that was happening on the 2nd?

Also: I'm now down to rank 8. Really doing terribly lately.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm

I think I finally worked out how to approach the current meta. A couple of weeks ago when I first switched to Druid it was enough to play control and just throw blocks in the way of the faster decks, but since christmas I've been winning less and the last few days were hell.

It's because the Warlocks got slower, and both they and the Warriors started running Molten Giants (they've gotten pretty common since I said I wasn't seeing many). I probably should have figured it out sooner, but after a few Shaman losses today I finally got it. Shaman works pretty well. I have to keep my opponent at about 20 health, draw out the fight, use taunts to protect myself, and wait for the opportunity to bloodlust and kill within two turns (one for Warrior).

I'd already figured out that aggressive play was working better, and added Lava Bursts to my deck. I just hadn't gotten the smart play down yet. I may need more removal because of the Giants-plus-taunt move.

(To do in future: Molten Giants Shaman deck, with weapons to lower health and Windfuries. I still don't have any Giants.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 am

The big potential issue with a warrior Molten Giant deck is they can use weapons to lower their own health enough to get out the one turn kill.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah, but if you're preparing to burst them down from ~20 health, they can't really get themselves low enough for the full combo.

Anyway, my Shaman deck started losing badly again, and now I've switched to Mage. I'm using Savjz's deck (but with Counterspell instead of Ice Block, unfortunately), which is sometimes hit-or-miss - it has no AoE, and sometimes I seem to draw nothing but high value cards in the early game. But, it wins games.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 am

I got to rank 8. Could probably go further (haven't hit any big roadblocks so far) if I had more time to play this month.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:12 am

Had a good run of arenas yesterday (Priest 5, Shaman 7, Druid 5, and yes, those crappy numbers are good for me), but it's about to come crashing down because I decided to try running Warlock. I knew it was a bad decision, I never do well on Warlock in arena. So far I'm at 0/2.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 am

I'm miserable at arena. I'm at rank 16-17 (without legendaries), but my arena runs rarely even get to 3. 1 or 2 is more common. Does anybody have any tips?
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:57 am

If my experience is still valid, the most critical difference between formats is the draft.

a) Don't expect rush decks - those require a very specific deck structure to be viable. You'll likely meet one at most on an average run, and even then it won't be very aggressive.
b) Unless you've got a badass Hero Power, GET A TON OF 2-DROPS!! It's much more difficult to win back the board, as you're completely at the whim of your draft for sweepers. The advantage of early board control is much greater than in normal play.
c) Don't try to build clever combos. For example, Weapon-manipulating Pirates are only going to work if you drafted at least three separate weapon creators, or if you're playing Rogue. The follow-up being...
d) Blank minions, specifically the Yeti and the Ogre are surprisingly good, because they just smash stuff no matter what's on the table. As an aside, the Venture Co guy is deadly in Arena, as you opponent isn't likely to have a lot of tools to keep him out of the fight.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 am

I was incredibly embarrassed yesterday when I lost an Arena match to a Warlock who'd drafted Murlocs. Drafting Murlocs in arena is an very stupid thing to try to do, and yet I still managed to lose to him.

Main points: The draft is all about picking the best cards from each set, and secondarily trying to draft into a good curve. A card that's good in constructed is not always good in arena, and vice versa. For example, as Sagara said, the Venture Co. Mercenary. It is huge board presence on turn 5, difficult to deal with.

You don't want to draft cards that rely on other cards for their value. You wouldn't, for example, draft an Ethereal Arcanist if you can't rely on drafting Secrets. On the other hand, a Kirin Tor Mage is a 4/3 for 3 regardless of whether you can use her effect. (Injured Blademaster is also a very nice 4/3 for 3, which gets better if you can heal him - he's also immune to Backstab.)

Also helps to know what cards are generally bad and should pretty much never be taken, eg. Shieldbearer.

The other side is actually playing the matches. Your play is more significant than your deck, really, in the arena format. Learning the best value moves each turn takes a lot of practice and watching other players. I'm sure I'm still not good at it, as evidenced by my complete inability to get above 7 wins.

I've been watching more players on twitch lately (ihearthu.com has a thing now which lists a bunch of streams and tells you which are currently live).

Don't just watch the best players! Watching average or bad players lets you see where they're making mistakes, and how you migvht have done differently. (Kungen, for example, is not a bad player, but he makes a lot of mistakes. More than, say, Savjz, who's one of the top players in the world.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 pm

I have slowly reached the conclusion that I don't really enjoy Arena anymore.

It was fun back when I just started playing, but now that the "oooh, I get to play with rares and epics!" novelty factor has worn off, it really feels like a chore. :(
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Kai » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 am

main thing that makes arena boring for me is that you are playing too many games with every deck. would much rather have the wins capped at 7 or something. gets boring very fast to play with the same 30 cards.
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 am

Bah. Arena is fun. It challenges you to make the best of non-ideal situations.

And if you're getting bored of a long arena run, leave it, do some ranked, and come back later.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:29 pm

This has to be one of the most annoying Arena decisions I've had so far.

Edit: I took the Pyroblast. I had to, really. And then I drew a second Pyro and two Flamestrikes.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games