Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Nooska » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:29 am

Interestingly my experience is that - apart from a few games - I usually either win or lose in a few turns in the end of the game where it couldgo either way.
Maybe thats just because I'm fairly low ranked, so my opponents are (equally) inexperienced / low card choice.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:42 pm

I just reached rank 10. I'm sure to drop back out quickly, but still, progress!

My Shaman deck seems to be very very good against Warlock rush, but I have trouble with Paladins. A lot of my games go into an extended late game where I'm doing everything I can to prevent the opponent killing me, and it comes down to eventually either running out of options, or finally getting a few minions + bloodlust.

I think the numbers are starting to thin out by rank 10. Getting matched up with people two ranks above me.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:14 am

I started noting down my wins and losses this weekend. After 50 games played, my stats are exactly 50/50.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm

I've played a lot this week, and so far it seems to me that mass minion removal is a must. I'm covered in Hunter and Druid (Swipe, Multishot etc) but I feel as if both my Shaman decks could really use Lightning Storm (which I'm not going to get any time soon). My shammydecks still win (one with BL, one with WF) but if I fall behind I can mostly just concede right away.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah, I'm much stronger now I have double Lightning Storm. Though often I have to hope for a spellpower totem for it to be fully effective. Lightning Storm and Forked lightning are great removal, but the damage can be a little low.

On the other end, I've started playing my Druid a little and I'm seriously missing having any hard removal for big minions. Really lacking in that department. I have Keeper of the Grove for silences, but nothing that eliminates the enormous big guy. I played against a player who dropped Ragnaros then Faceless Manipulator'd my Ancient of War, and I couldn't do a damn thing about either of them. I feel like I have to start running Naturalize, which isn't ideal.

Tinkmaster Overspark would be a long term goal for that deck, since it serves as big guy removal for anything better than a blank 5.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:44 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I think the numbers are starting to thin out by rank 10. Getting matched up with people two ranks above me.

A regular ranked game is zero-sum: the winner takes a star from the loser. New stars are injected into the system from win streaks (which stop at rank 5) or from matches where the loser is at ground floor and can't lose another rank.

KysenMurrin wrote:On the other end, I've started playing my Druid a little and I'm seriously missing having any hard removal for big minions. Really lacking in that department. I have Keeper of the Grove for silences, but nothing that eliminates the enormous big guy. I played against a player who dropped Ragnaros then Faceless Manipulator'd my Ancient of War, and I couldn't do a damn thing about either of them. I feel like I have to start running Naturalize, which isn't ideal.

As with paladins, Big Game Hunter is a good investment for druids.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Kai » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:04 am

played some games with the usual warlock rush deck yesterday, kept losing to druids chaining their big taunt minions. got tired of that and changed the deck to:
squire, blood imp, fire imp, voidwalker, priestress
knife juggler, faerie dragon
harvest golem, shattered sun cleric
dark iron, defender of argus
doomguard, sylvanas
argent commander
jaraxxus
siphon soul

all 2 ofs but the legendairies. worked quite well so far. basically the soul fires, power overwhelming and suicidal-charge mininos pissed me off. they were great a while ago, but now everyone either plays massive healing or high toughness taunt mobs. or both. against that it felt really stupid to have these super aggressive cards designed to deal exactly 30 damage. just came short too often and then with that stuff in your deck, it feels hardly possibly to come back.

this deck still has the whole aggressive buff-each-other creature chain but just doesn't run out of steam so fast and has two unconditional removal spells against ramp decks. priestress also helps against swipe. only problem is that jaraxxus won me a lot of the games against slow druid/priest/shaman decks. so without him this warlock version gets a lot worse. syvanas is ok but hasn't been all that amazing.

Also this is of course worse in the 'mirror' against another aggressive warlock deck. not having soul fires hurts, but I just don't think doomguard + soul fire is playable in the same deck. you just never get to the point where you can cast them for free as you always have to pitch one into the other. that being said, doomguard especially paried with defender of argus can be fairly insane against rush decks as well, but that obviously requires you to draw the defender after playing the doomguard, so unfortunately not that easy to pull off.

in other news, had a ridiculous arena game the other day. the gaming gods surely pulled that on me for my statement earlier in this thread that there are few swingy games and few comebacks.
I'm playing priest against a mage, he has a very, very good spot for flamestrike and doesn't cast it. he could have killed like 3 creatures and instead I attacked him down to single digits. So I figured he just doesn't have it and played 2 more guys.
Obviously it gets cast next turn. now he's got 3 minions in play, nothing overly amazing though and 3 cards in hand. I have nothing. I draw a 2/3 windfury. Click escape and mouse goes to the concede button. Then I figured, wth, game will go on at most 2 more turns so might as well see if I can maybe find temple enforcer or something that gets me back into it.
Pass the turn, he casts another unexciting minion. I draw temple enforcer. Cast both, stuff trades, favorable for me. I draw Injured Blademaster. Cast it, heal it to tough 5. he attacks me instead of trading 2 of his minions for my blademaster and again has nothing really great.
I draw northshire priest. cast it, heal blademaster. draw the 1/2 engineer. cast it. draw - defender of argus. cast it, giving blademaster and engineer taunt. he just makes a guy and passes. I draw circle of healing. Won the game 2-3 turns later with a full grip. :)
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:21 am

I've started seeing Warlocks running more mid-range lately. My Druid and Shaman decks really blunt the usual low rush, so it's an interestingchange of pace. Doomguards, Felguards, and things like SSCs and Defenders of Argus.

Also came across a new type of Priest yesterday. They played very few minions (I did see some. Clerics, Injured Blademaster, some Wolfriders for removal) and mostly used spells. They played Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision, Mindgames, Cabal Shadow Priest, Shadow Madness, two MCs, and Faceless Manipulator, and killed minions with Holy Nova, Smite, Holy Fire, and the Shadow Words. Basically, the deck took advantage of the fact people are playing big minions now, and just kept your board controlled while turning your own deck against you. It was pretty frustrating (particularly when Mindgames played out my Sylvanas).

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:34 am

Yeah, got something similar, but not outright equal.

There were a few minions in there, but it's really a staller deck until they can use and abuse MC/Facelesses. I think you need an agressive stance against those (minding Holy Nova's, of course).

Finally broke rank 10 in the meanwhile, but this is really starting to get rough to keep going up. I'v kept playing around with my deck and I'll probably throw in Thinkmaster whenever I can for some more removal. here's the list, if you're curious.

I kinda like SYlvanas because she actually throw plans askew, a bit like most of my late cards. Which typically means I eat mid-range deck for breakfast, tend to 50/50 against rushers (depending on my luck on Consecs/Equals/Wyld) and have *massive* trouble against controller's big guns. I should probably throw something out for BGH's or Avenging Wraths, but I still can't find what.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:36 am

I still hate how long it takes to get the dust to craft things. I could go for a Big Game Hunter, but that's 400 dust I wouldn't be using towards Ragnaros or Tinkmaster.

Oh well. I have a half-decent Shaman deck drafted for arena tonight, maybe I'll score some dust or get lucky in the pack.

(It seems like the Druid deck I'm aiming toward will ultimately contain Bloodmage Thalnos, Tinkmaster Overspark, Sylvanas, Hogger, and Ragnaros. Though I might drop Thalnos and/or Hogger if I need to make room for something else.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I still hate how long it takes to get the dust to craft things.

I caved in and bought a 40-pack bundle. Figured that now would be a good time to do that, given the recent balance changes and multiple cards being temporarily disenchantable for full price.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 am

I did that a long while back. Pretty much straight after I worked out that the email saying I'd been given a key for the "North American beta" was bullshit and I was automatically put onto my home region. Figured that one-off purchase was alright for a game I'm playing this much - and I'd paid the same for other games. Not planning to do it again, though.

I spent most of my early dust on Mage cards, not all of which turned out to be worth the while once I started actually learning how to play the game well.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:49 pm

After today's performance, Thrall might as well be dead to me. Malfurion's where it's at.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Closest fight in a long, long while, and absolutely awesome to win.

Paladin Mirror match, I go 2nd, and mostly control the fight into turn 12 or so, despite him throwing, in order, Rags, Guardian of Kings, and Sylvanas, when he stands at 8 Health to my 19. I got a 1-charge Truesilver Champion and a 1/1 Squire. Both our hands are empty (save for one Wyld Pyromancer that I want to keep for a potential disaster.

OBVIOUSLY, that's when he topdecks LoH. Asshole. and of COURSE he gets a Sunwalker and a Truesilver out of the deal. Ass. He OF course proceeds to stomp my Sylvanas, drop ANOTHER Sunwalker and heal himself back up for 23 against my 10. Oh. Thank the gods I draw my LoH. Then he drops Tirion :roll:

I manage to blow his table with Wild Pyro/Equal. 14 - 23, I have a Squire, he's got Ashbringer with full charge, has only one card in hand, and just went out of cards. Fatigue + Avenging Wrath brings it to 2 - 22. My Guardian of kings flips things to 8 - 22. His sword + Squire makes that 2 - 20 AGAIN.

I draw my very last card, which gives me Equality, Argent protector, Argent Commander, and Defender of Argus. He's still got one charge of Ashbringer and two Squires vs my Guardian of Kings and one Squire. If nothing hits me, I've got two turns. If something connects, I'm dead next turn. Further, I've got two turns to deal that 20 damage.

What's the solution? (yeah, it was a fairly easy puzzle, but I was stressed as all hell :D
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Hmm... summon Argent Commander, drop Defender of Argus onto Commander and Guardian, hit face for 12. Hope he can't somehow kill both taunts after using his squire to pop divine shield. Hope he doesn't topdeck Avenging Wrath or Hammer of Wrath.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games