Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Sagara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 am

Well at least I got an insanely badass Shaman draft to cheer me up.
Seriously, I had never realized how insanely powerful Shaman can be - lots of combos and tricks and stuff.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 am

I'm thinking of trying Shaman after watching some videos. That, and I got some really nice cards for Shaman lately. Like Al'Akir legendary (Which has Windfury, Taunt, Divine Shield, and Charge, but low health).

Actually watching some play - one video from someone playing mage, then a couple of arena runs on Trump's live feed - has made a dramatic difference in how well I'm playing. Mostly a move to being more conservative with my card plays - not just playing something because I have the mana for it.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Finally went 8/3 with my Shaman deck - no hex made me a sad Shaman.

At least I won enough to get into 2 new Arenas, and I already drafted the Mage for tomorrow and OBOOOOOOY

Got myself a Ragnaros and a Pyroblast!

*SMOKING!*

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Nice. I just went into Arena as mage and drew a Pyro. Nothing else spectacular, though. (I was hoping for some fun Spellbender shenanigans, but so far I played it twice and only once popped, to absorb a Kill Command.) But, I'm doing better than usual: Currently at 4/1. Admittedly, one of those wins disconnected a few turns in.

Fun moment last game: Mirror Entity copied Nat Pagle. Alas, he silenced it before ending his turn. :(

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 am

Sagara wrote:Seriously, I had never realized how insanely powerful Shaman can be - lots of combos and tricks and stuff.

Told you so. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sagara » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 am

I remember being off-put by someone's description of the deck, that you "play every other turn" (due to Overload).

But seriously, it feels a lot like Mage with less finesse, but with weapons and kickass minions.

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:10 am

Think what I noticed about watching Shaman was how you can load your board with low level minions while still holding onto your more valuable cards. The Overload will take some planning and thought, but it does let you play your mana a turn early, could make for strong moves.

What do you think of Al'Akir? Its attack/health looks a little weak, even with all its abilities. I have plenty of other Shaman cards, though. Might build a deck tonight.

My arena did not end well. Two Priests in a row this morning, lost badly. Ended at 4/3. And the reward pack decided to give me two cards I already have instead of more gold/dust.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 am

I'm not really focusing much on existing legendaries right now :-) they're way too expensive from my measily 600 dust.

Nevertheless, Al'Akir feels *ok*. It can be a good bomb, especially if you got to plan your way to it with Flametongue and stuff, but it doesn't feel as good of the other classes Lengendaries like Grom and Jarraxus.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of "fat with a big target on the face".

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:23 am

Oh yeah, I understand that. Relying on one big minion is always a risk, with all the insta-kills and MC out there. Generally better to spread your damage around multiple minions. (That's why if I have multiple buffs I will spread them around rather than putting them all on one guy.)

My biggest minions these days tend to be 4-attack, 5 or 6-mana.

I might try out building a deck around Al'Akir, see if I like it, then decide if it's worth keeping in there.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:37 am

For the record, my Shaman decklist goes like this:

1 x Earth Shock
2 x Lightning Bolt
2 x Rockbiter Weapon
2 x Faerie Dragon
2 x Loot Hoarder
2 x Novice Engineer
1 x Stormforged Axe
2 x Feral Spirit
2 x Lava Burst
2 x Lightning Storm
1 x Mana Tide Totem (I plan to swap it for Bloodmage Thalnos eventually)
2 x Hex
1 x Doomhammer
2 x Azure Drake
1 x Bloodlust
2 x Fire Elemental
2 x Argent Commander
1 x Ragnaros

Note that every minion below 6 mana draws a card, is untargetable, or comes into play with a twin sibling, and everything above 6 mana deals significant damage on the turn it comes into play (usually taking something out as a result). In combination with 2-mana totems popping out on a regular basis, this means that the opponent will have to face significant card disadvantage during the contest for board control, especially if he uses removal. Meanwhile, having 13 efficient removal spells of my own ensures that I can always knock out key pieces of his strategy, if not dominate the board entirely. In the endgame, I've got several Pyroblast-style surprises: Bloodlust, Ragnaros, Doomhammer+Rockbiter and even a spellpower-boosted Lava Burst can all finish off an opponent who thought that he was safe for another turn or two.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Interesting. I played about and threw together my own deck today, could probably use some work. (I decided Al'Akir didn't work for me.) It doesn't really have any card draw, so maybe I should stick a Mana Tide in there. Advice sought:

1x Earth Shock
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Rockbiter
2x Stormforged Axe
1x Windfury
2x Faerie Dragon
2x Flametongue Totem
1x Loot Hoarder
2x Feral Spirit
2x Hex
1x Lava Burst
1x Lightning Storm
2x Wolfrider
1x Dark Iron Dwarf
1x Ogre Magi
1x Stormwind Knight
1x Doomhammer
2x Bloodlust
1x Argent Commander
2x Fire Elemental

Honestly, those 4-mana minions (Dwarf, Magi, Knight) are only in there because I had no 4 cards at all. The Stormwind Knight is pretty poor, I don't know why I picked it. I also only own 1 Lava Burst, 1 Lightning Storm, 1 Argent Commander.

I started out copying someone else's deck then had to make substitutions for things I didn't own (Knife Juggler, Spellbreaker, for example).

I have 395 dust right now. If I destroy my Gold Twilight Drake, I'd have 495. Could make things like 2nd Argent Commander or a Knife Juggler, or I an keep saving for a legendary (thinking Thalnos for my Mage deck).

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 am

I'm surprised at the choice of Earth Shock instead of the Owl, or Spellbreaker for that matter.

Dwarf and Knight are actually pretty good from my PoV, as they both generate a straight 2 damage the turn they drop. Plus, they have enough Health to synergise well with our Healing Totem. I'd *actually* drop the Magi for a second Dorf.

The rest seem okayish, although I don't expect you to need two bloodlust - I'd probably keep one on hand until I'm either desperate or ready for a surprise kill.

Another thing - I'm starting to think about recording my Arena draft and discuss them here.

a) Anyone interested in discussing?
b) Anyone interested in recording as well?

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 am

I don't own two Dwarves, alas. Willing to drop the ogre, though. I just like 4-attack minions. Not sure why I went with Earth Shock and not an Owl - I guess because it only costs 1 mana, and the Owl only has 1 health and tends to die.

I've kind of liked having double Bloodlust. I can see why it might be overkill, but it's let me win a couple of games popping it twice. Might drop it.

Hmm. Maybe it's in my best interest to craft a second Dark Iron Dwarf, a Knife Juggler, a Spellbreaker, and a second Argent Commander.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:15 am

I find Earth Shock to be more efficient than the Owl.

If we compare the Owl to Loot Hoarder or Novice Engineer, it implies that the silence effect is worth as much as drawing a card. Silence (the priest spell) also supports this position. If we then apply this logic to Earth Shock, it becomes an equivalent of "draw a card, deal 1 damage" for 1 mana - an effect that, if Wrath and Shiv are of any indication, is worth 2 mana. So either the owl is bad or the ES is good. (Or maybe both, by the virtue of one being a class card and the other a neutral one)

(Besides, sniping Loot Hoarders, Twilight Drakes and Scarlet 3/1s with ES never gets old)
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 am

Oh, nice. I hadn't thought about how it'd one-shot any Twilight Drake.

Blows straight past Divine Shield, too, I guess. Good for enabling a Bloodlusted rush by neutralising a taunt... good all-round card.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games