Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 am

Sagara wrote:A priest deck should do without one Mind Control at least. It's a total game braker by itself IMHO.

I mean for the Mage deck. (My Priest deck has two MCs.)

I have one of the Gnome cards that MCs a random minion. But a targeted Silence would probably be better than the random-out-of-four card. I just feel like some kind of counter that doesn't require me to kill a minion would be good to have in this deck, since my biggest weakness seems to be getting bogged down clearing the enemy minions.

I think the only Silence card I have is the owl. Wonder what I could drop to fit it in. It'd be good to be able to just silence one of the buff or draw-a-card minions.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:37 am

I wouldn't go for the MC Gnome - apart from weenie rush deck, people won't be caught dead with 4 minions on the table (maybe Pallies or Shams, but even then). A board clear is already easy enough.

As for silence, it depends on how fast do you need it - Owl is a cheap silence, which means you can keep playing stuff alongside it, but it's so goddamn weak it might as well be a simple "silence a minion" spell. If you need those late game, Spellbreakers might be your stuff: a 4/3 for 4 with built-in Silence. It's common as well, so easy to craft.

I'm starting to distrust the Juggler/Weenie deck I had - I'm probably going to go for no special tricks, just pure bang for the buck. Probably going to re-cycle BoK in for the boosted Silver Hands surprise special.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:58 am

Re: "easy to craft", that assumes it's actually possible to get dust. Unless I DE my only copies of some of the cards I have (and most only give 5 dust), crafting's not happening often.

(I've already done the whole "screw it, it's only beta, I'll not end up using these cards and time soon" and DEd most of the ones I didn't want to hold. Even a rare that gave 100 dust (which gave me Blizzard, which is excellent).)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 am

Ho. Are you aware there might not be another wipe at launch?

Sagara

Postby Aubade » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:10 am

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that. ...perhaps DEing me entire shammy collection wasn't a good idea.....

I'm prettty noob at this game however. Ive been having a lot of fun with the mage and priest decks. As well as a run with druid for a day or two
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Kai » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 am

pretty sure they said there will be no more collection wipes, at least that's what they planned.
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:42 am

I'm aware that I'm on a US beta and will be switching to EU at launch. ;) Plus I don't particularly care about keeping some of these cards I don't like the look of (like the Goblin Mercenary. I can't imagine myself ever using him.)

But yeah: Dust, hard to come by. Only get enough gold for a pack maybe every 2-3 days, most of those cards you want to keep. Maybe the arena awards will make a difference at higher levels, but I'm still at 6 games, 6 losses, and only got about 15 dust per try.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:24 am

Arena is highly profitable from 4 wins onwards. It's fairly easy to get 50 gold and 50 dust on top of your pack with 5-6 wins.

I got my own Arena primer here.

It's *far* from perfect, but it can get you thinking in the right direction.

Sagara

Postby Rizin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

If anyone happens upon an extra key I would love to try this out :)
Rizin

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 am

So I've just spent a while reading guides and posts, mostly on IHearthU.com, and I'm starting to get a picture of things I should have been aware of but wasn't. Like understanding the relative value of cards, and how to plan a smart opening hand.

Read one particular thing which was a player's run down of all the Basic Neutral cards ranking them and explaining why, which has helped a lot.

I'm now more aware that I'm a Control player, which fits with the direction my Mage deck has been heading, with the defensive play and occasional late-game turnarounds. And I realise some simple mistakes in building the deck - for example, I've been fond of using Booty Bay Bodyguards, when really the Sen'jin Shieldmasta is just a good value card and, I now realise, would fill a gap that'll help me defend through the early game.

Will be tweaking my deck tonight.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:32 am

Never looked at IheartU yet - printer is now working full throttle :-p

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 am

Unfortunately this reading up has got me all self-conscious about the state of my deck. With all the mage spells in there (mostly at 1/2/4 mana), I'm now very uncomfortably aware of how few minions I have available to play at most mana levels, and the guide stuff tends to talk about control through minions in early turns being crucial. I can definately tell my deck is weak in the early stages of the game.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nakama » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Been playing this a little, got my Mage levelled up to 10, now working on Paladin, all through matchmaking games. Can you level up and the like through practice as well? I haven't played a single practice game, just unranked at first, then ranked once I realized what the ranking icon was doing.

I have the same sort of problems with my Mage deck, Kysen. I really like the control aspects and definitely like Counterspell. Trading 1-for-1 on cards is so common and I love getting a later drop with my 3 mana Counter.

Hope everyone is having fun with this. Yell if you want to play a game, I'm Nakama#1564 (I think).

--Jed
Nakama

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 pm

practice mode is how i get all my decks to 10 and the basic sets unlocked

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 am

My big problem with Secrets is that it becomes fairly predictable what you played when your opponent has a bit of experience.

My M.O. when a Secret drops is typically:
1) Drop a "weak" minion (low stats, no active effect for Mage/Paladin, whatever can be Sniped by Hunters - deathrattlers and battlecriers are nice for that).
2) Attack the Hero with a weak minion (for Hunter: careful of Explosive Traps).
3) If a Mage and one is available, drop a cheap/less useful spell. (Then again, you may be able to win purely with minions).
4) When all else fails, he has Ice Block, Redemption or Snake Trap. Act appropriately (i.e. get an AoE ready for Snake, kill a weak minion for Pallies and just keep wailing on the Mage)

Secrets are still *decent* cards at that point, especially if you're already in control of the field, but don't expect to MuhahahahaBOOMexplode his Stormwind CHampion or something like that.

Meanwhile, Domination quests are f*cking annoying, especially with decks you barely have experience with, while your MMR is high enough to throw you Legendaries left right and center.

Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games