Path of Exile - ARPG

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:16 am

Shoju wrote:The crafting/bartering system is still a little "meh", but I like the game more than I did a few weeks ago.



I love the crafting/bartering system but to each his own. It isn't very "noob" friendly and you can certainly make some costly mistakes if you don't know what you're doing. There are plenty of guides, Krip's are pretty good.

Have a 42 LA ranger that I use for group play and a 48 summoner witch for solo play, both hardcore. Also have several default toons, either HC deaths or "experiment" builds.

This game has far more depth than D3 and just a generally more hardcore mentality. Death experience penality in default, no skill swapping unless you spend a ton on Orbs of Regret etc...

I've already put more hours into it than I did for D3 and it isn't even close to getting stale as far as I can tell.

Edit: Also loving the races.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

bldavis wrote:shield templar?

Indeed. Just finished up Normal with him, headed to Cruel. Would love to try hardcore, but I've been having far too many disconnects to even bother. I'm doing the whole Shield Charge - Glacial Hammer - Ice Nova - Enduring Cry - Warlord's Mark thing. I have tried to use Immortal Call, but I'm just not digging it. i'm probably going to swap that out with Molten Shell, and see how that works for a bit.

Gab wrote:
Shoju wrote:The crafting/bartering system is still a little "meh", but I like the game more than I did a few weeks ago.



I love the crafting/bartering system but to each his own. It isn't very "noob" friendly and you can certainly make some costly mistakes if you don't know what you're doing. There are plenty of guides, Krip's are pretty good.

Have a 42 LA ranger that I use for group play and a 48 summoner witch for solo play, both hardcore. Also have several default toons, either HC deaths or "experiment" builds.

This game has far more depth than D3 and just a generally more hardcore mentality. Death experience penality in default, no skill swapping unless you spend a ton on Orbs of Regret etc...

I've already put more hours into it than I did for D3 and it isn't even close to getting stale as far as I can tell.

Edit: Also loving the races.


For me, the problem with the crafting system, is that it's the currency system. I've had terrible luck getting people to trade. To date, I've sold

2 Uniques
1- 5 attribute rare Quiver that rolled perfect on Attack Speed, and Chaos Resist
1- Gem

I've bought

1- 2h'er

I've been following the guides on how to make the more simple stuff, and I've been using the vendors to build up my stockpile of some things, I just hate that there is no currency. Because of the way I've been playing, with so little "purchased" gear, when i sell things, what I want, and what I'm looking for as "valuable" isn't to others.

So, it's hard to get people to come off of things, or be interested in trading with me, because I'm after far different things than they have.

I'm sure that will change now that I'm working on this character, and feeling more comfortable with him.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Haven't had any connection issues but I did lose my first LA Ranger to desync at level 37 and have had some other close calls. It's beta and to be expected even though it's still a bit frustrating.

Are you trying to trade gear for other gear? I've found that selling gear for "currency" and using that "currency" to purchase other gear is the way to go. Also at low levels (sub 50ish) it's almost always better to buy gear than try crafting unless you want to throw an orb of chance here or there on a nicely socketed quality piece or a +20 onyx ammy etc... You can also mess around with a couple dozen less "valuable" currency items here and there (alt, transmorg, jeweler's, chromatic etc...).

And since the forum search feature is awful you might want to check out http://poe.xyz.is/. It's much better at finding items than browsing tons of forum threads that may or may not still be relevant. Many times you can find some great items in 1 alch/fusing shops. Even some shops that are selling for alt/jeweller's/chance Especially for default.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Gab wrote:Haven't had any connection issues but I did lose my first LA Ranger to desync at level 37 and have had some other close calls. It's beta and to be expected even though it's still a bit frustrating.

Are you trying to trade gear for other gear? I've found that selling gear for "currency" and using that "currency" to purchase other gear is the way to go. Also at low levels (sub 50ish) it's almost always better to buy gear than try crafting unless you want to throw an orb of chance here or there on a nicely socketed quality piece or a +20 onyx ammy etc... You can also mess around with a couple dozen less "valuable" currency items here and there (alt, transmorg, jeweler's, chromatic etc...).

And since the forum search feature is awful you might want to check out http://poe.xyz.is/. It's much better at finding items than browsing tons of forum threads that may or may not still be relevant. Many times you can find some great items in 1 alch/fusing shops. Even some shops that are selling for alt/jeweller's/chance Especially for default.


I've tried to trade gear for gear, gear for currency, gear for gems, etc... and it just hasn't worked out for me. No one is interested in what I have, So I end up vendoring it off to get the best stuff I can, and then I craft my own stuff.

I tried poe.xyz.is for a bit, and didn't have much better luck than I did using the forum feature. Sure, I found Gear I was after, but instead of not being able to afford it, it was all gone.

I'll probably just keep truckin' along as I am for now, and when I hit Maps (if I hit maps) I'll try to sell stuff again. My little thread on the boards goes largely overlooked. I'd assume because the gear is lower level, the uniques aren't that good, and the gem market is flooded to the point where even my Quality gems are worthless.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am

Yeah I imagine the default economy is a lot rougher than HC economy. Q Gems, for example, never leave the economy unless they are crap anyway and get vendored for GCPs. So unless you have 12%+ desirable (AKA OP, FotM) gems (LA, Frost Shock, Ground Slam, Summons or supports etc...) they probably aren't worth much.

In HC low-mid level gear still sells pretty consistantly because you are trying to squeeze out every bit of improvement you can to help you not die so people are always looking for upgrades. Same thing for Q gems, some Q gems are insanely better than their normal equivalent. Where in default it doesn't really matter if you die (arguable at merciless since the exp penalty starts becoming pretty significant but that's not mid-low level) so min/maxxing isn't nearly as important.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 am

Gab wrote:Yeah I imagine the default economy is a lot rougher than HC economy. Q Gems, for example, never leave the economy unless they are crap anyway and get vendored for GCPs. So unless you have 12%+ desirable (AKA OP, FotM) gems (LA, Frost Shock, Ground Slam, Summons or supports etc...) they probably aren't worth much.

In HC low-mid level gear still sells pretty consistantly because you are trying to squeeze out every bit of improvement you can to help you not die so people are always looking for upgrades. Same thing for Q gems, some Q gems are insanely better than their normal equivalent. Where in default it doesn't really matter if you die (arguable at merciless since the exp penalty starts becoming pretty significant but that's not mid-low level) so min/maxxing isn't nearly as important.


Yeah, the default economy is in the toilet. I found a quiver for level 35, that had rolled

Chaos Resist,
Improved Attack Speed,
+Cold and +Lightning damage mods

It was ilvl 41 (Go go Fetid Pools :roll: ), I had two people offer me on it. One guy, wanted to give me 2GCP for it. Wow! That's cool, right? Well, sure, if I were end game, but I'm not. I'm still leveling, slow as molasses, enjoying the sights, planning my build, etc... I had another guy offer me 5 Alch, and 2 Chaos for it.

I took the 5 alch and 2 chaos. I can use those. The 2 GCP would have sat, and sat, and sat, and sat. Maybe, once I hit Merciless on something, I might care.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 am

This should be used as a general rule of thumb and not taken as gospel but these exchange rates are pretty close (especially for default), some people go by them explicitly while some people are enraged (because they can't rip off unaware players?).

http://www.poeex.info/

Generally speaking you didn't make a bad trade but 2 Chaos, 5 alch is more or less equivalent to 4.5 chaos or 1.5 GCP. I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to craft immediately or if you want to look for some deals and trade the GCPs for gear or wait to trade them for alchs/chaos... It's really hard to say. Which is what I like about the economy, everything is worth something but it's all relative.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Gab wrote:This should be used as a general rule of thumb and not taken as gospel but these exchange rates are pretty close (especially for default), some people go by them explicitly while some people are enraged (because they can't rip off unaware players?).

http://www.poeex.info/

Generally speaking you didn't make a bad trade but 2 Chaos, 5 alch is more or less equivalent to 4.5 chaos or 1.5 GCP. I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to craft immediately or if you want to look for some deals and trade the GCPs for gear or wait to trade them for alchs/chaos... It's really hard to say. Which is what I like about the economy, everything is worth something but it's all relative.


I've got that site marked, and I'd probably use it a lot more if I were able to get more trades going. But with trading being the way it has been for me, I've really been trying to get what I'm after, to craft as I go.

Back to my character for just a second:

One of the things that I love about a shield templar, is that it opens up gearing to a much wider level than what I had with the Marauder. With my Marauder, I needed to find gear that had Life, Chaos Resist, and Ele Resists. With the templar, I have picked up skill points in such a way, that I get 30% Ele resist just from carrying a shield, I'm trying to stick to the Ceremonial Type Kite Shields that have 24% resist on them, and then I picked up a 15% resist node, and 2x body and soul nodes.

Just from the random pieces of gear I have, I'm able to cap my Ele Resists in Cruel (I'm still just in Act I with this Char), I've drug myself out of the negatives on Chaos resist, and then after that, I really just want Life, Armor, ES, and offensive abilities at this point.

I know it will get harder once I make it to Merc, and I have an even stiffer penalty on my resists, But, from just the Shield type I want to use, I will have the penalty covered, which means I'm not fretting on trying to get specific gear.

If I do retire my Marauder (looking likely), I will probably move over one ring from him, which will vastly improve my HP levels (it's got +79 life on it, and I'm currently at a +80% modifier), and then I'll be looking to part with some pretty freaking awesome Marauder Gear for leveling. The chest, is mid 30's, and is a 4L piece, the 2h'er is a little slow, but huge damage range. (reqs level 40, sitting at 280 damage between phys and ele), and most of the other gear is top quality, and pretty decent stuff. Here's hoping I can make something off of it.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Templar has amazingly strong starting skills compared to pretty much everyone, in addittion to being in a very versatile location in the tree. Cataclyse, Celestial Walker, Elementalist, D & T, B & S to name a few. Compare those to other classes early skills and you get the idea.

You see wand, bow, minion, 2h, sword and board, staff etc... Templar builds that are viable end game builds, no other class offer even close to that.

Going shield specced has significant advantages especially when it comes to map gearing. You can get decently geared, with respectable dps for far far less investment because of all the great resist and ele damage nodes. And when you finally do get some insanely expensive +ele damage, +life, +chaos resist, +x resist gear you can just scour out a couple of those resist nodes. It's pretty fantastic if a little low on damage compared to the more popular builds.

Marauder has some of those same options but is not nearly as strong early-mid game and not nearly as versatile.

I imagine you're going LS/TS/MS?
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Right now, I'm using

Tempest Shield
Shield Charge for mobility (and against elementally resistant rares/uniques, since it always hits, even if the damage isn't "great")
Glacial Hammer
Ice Nova
Enduring Cry
Immortal Call (Wont lie, I'm debating cutting it)
Warlord's Mark.

I'm Kind of a... Damage Mitigation nut, so I'm using the Cold Damage, because Chilled Enemies attack Slower, and Frozen Enemies don't beat on you at all (while frozen). I've skilled into an extra endurance charge, and once I finish off where I'm at in the skill tree, I'm headed to Marauder country to pick up another Endurance Charge, and RT. (so... within the next 15 skill points) I'm also debating trying to pick up a Koam's Sign, since that's another Endurance Charge, and they seem to be the single best way to mitigate damage in the game.

I would like to swap over to using Frostbite, but without a significant investment to get 2x curse, I need to get a little further in the life leech/on hit department before I can commit to not using Warlord's Mark for some life leech on bigger packs. So, I'm debating with going towards Heavy Strike, and Ground Slam, but that's really what I was doing on my marauder, and I really like using the Cold skills. It's more of a "thing" that I would do.

I thought about switching to Lightning stuff, thinking that the damage increase from Shock would offset the survivability of chilled, but I'm not sure, and haven't messed with it yet. I'm probably going to toss the lightning gems in some open slots, get them leveled, and give it a whirl. I should be able to get them to a respectable level in time to use them in Act I, probably on the way to merveil.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm

So, In Act II Cruel, I realized that playing melee, and not having Resolute Technique is the worst thing ever.

EVER

I ended up deleting my Marauder, and have migrated a ton of gems over to my Templar, respecced some, and picked up Resolute Technique, and have been driving forward, with a lot less problems. I've also swapped to Infernal Blow over Glacial Hammer, even though I still use Ice Nova for AoE. The Damage Mitigation of Glacial Hammer in a single target perspective was minimal enough in size that swapping over to the massive DPS increase of Infernal blow hasn't made me feel less tanky.

On the other hand, Ice Nova-ing large packs to chill and Freeze is still a massive boon to my Damage Mitigation, so it stays. I've also given up on trying to use Immortal call. It's cool, and maybe at higher levels of the gem if it gets a longer duration, it might be better, but right now, blowing 4 endurance charges for 1.2 seconds of damage immunity isn't helping much. So I've been tinkering with other gems to see what I like, and what I don't.

I have to say, maybe it's just that the marauder was my first char, or maybe they are just not good, but I am having a much better time on the Templar than I did on the Marauder.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 am

Leap Slam is quite awesome. Not because of it's damage ability or because I can use it to get out of combat/in combat, but because I can use it to JUMP OVER WALLS instead of having to walk around the entire path just to get somewhere...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3549
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 am

Skye1013 wrote:Leap Slam is quite awesome. Not because of it's damage ability or because I can use it to get out of combat/in combat, but because I can use it to JUMP OVER WALLS instead of having to walk around the entire path just to get somewhere...


I have thought about running it on my templar just for the mobility, even though I LOVE Shield Charge when the pathing doesn't fail.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

Haven't had a chance to play much lately with 5.2 out but found this gem in chat yesterday. Inadvertently racist random prefix/sufix/tilesets, something GGG might want to look into.

I know it's wrong... but I couldn't help a chuckle...

http://imgur.com/xvWulgP
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 am

Gab wrote:Haven't had a chance to play much lately with 5.2 out but found this gem in chat yesterday. Inadvertently racist random prefix/sufix/tilesets, something GGG might want to look into.

I know it's wrong... but I couldn't help a chuckle...

http://imgur.com/xvWulgP


Before I clicked the link, I thought, well... Maybe it's something a NZ'er wouldn't know... But... Yeah... That's going to need coded to not happen.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 am

Summoners are LOLEZMODEKKTXBYE
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Shoju wrote:Summoners are LOLEZMODEKKTXBYE


Sure are! They also have more resistance to Deysnc, which is why I play one occasionaly when I'm soloing hardcore.

If you're on default I have a pretty well rolled Sidhebreath and a really crappy rolled Bones of Ullr lying around if you want to give them a whirl. I don't play much default anymore so they aren't doing me any good.

Ranger died at 64... it's ok though with the new Duelist changes they have much stronger RoA and LA builds anyway. New duelist is now up to level 37 sure wish I could have my tripple ele bow back... spent 3 exalts on it only to die 2 levels later...

Edit: IGN Gabzilla/Gabinha if you wanted to take me up on the summoner stuff.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:19 am

Gab wrote:
Shoju wrote:Summoners are LOLEZMODEKKTXBYE


Sure are! They also have more resistance to Deysnc, which is why I play one occasionaly when I'm soloing hardcore.

If you're on default I have a pretty well rolled Sidhebreath and a really crappy rolled Bones of Ullr lying around if you want to give them a whirl. I don't play much default anymore so they aren't doing me any good.

Ranger died at 64... it's ok though with the new Duelist changes they have much stronger RoA and LA builds anyway. New duelist is now up to level 37 sure wish I could have my tripple ele bow back... spent 3 exalts on it only to die 2 levels later...

Edit: IGN Gabzilla/Gabinha if you wanted to take me up on the summoner stuff.


I would be very interested in those items. I am on default, as Piety kicked my teeth down my throat in the crematorium. in Normal :(

But I wanted to stick with it, as it's been a lot of fun to do some crazy things. As only playing melee before, the Fetid Pool in Cruel was my bane. I went in there at 39, and stomped a mudhole in that place.

Turns out, a horde of the undead + an 8% Detonate Dead Is all you need to stomp that place. It was the easiest zone I've done in a while.

What are you looking to get for them?
Chaos will reroll the bones right?
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am

Shoju wrote:What are you looking to get for them?
Chaos will reroll the bones right?


Free dollars, like I said I only play hardcore these days so default currency wouldn't do me much good. And no, the only way to reroll a unique's non-implicit stats is with a Regal (probably not worth it on Bones of Ullr unless its a 4L high MS).

The Bones are only 6/15% MS and a lone blue socket (pretty sure they are at least ilvl 15 so potential for 3, but again probably not worth the Jewelers/Fuses since they are only 6% MS).

The Sidhebreath is perfect other than the minion life (30/15/15/11).

I should be on this evening before raid (5-6:30 eastern). Or I'll be around this weekend most likely so you can send me a pm or friend request or whatever.

And yeah summoners are pretty ridiculous, minnion instability is OP. The only trouble I run into as a summoner is going up against rares/totems that grant invuln or sometimes necromancer type mobs. Flicker striking mobs can be annoying but they usually choose minions as their target so meh.

Edit: Divine not Regal...
Last edited by Gab on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am

Sweet. Thanks man.

IGN: Tacitya or Orenthus.

I should be on this evening too, as well as some times this weekend.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks again! My horde is reaching incredible proportions. 22/3 minions, depending.

Which brings me to the next thing. With the new gear I've acquired, my tooltip says "can summon up to 10 Skeletons at a time"
But, MOST of the time, I see 11 running around, and a couple of times last night I had 12 running around. I couldn't figure out what the change was. I even double checked the tooltip, and it still said 10 skeletons.

I thought maybe one of my Spectres was doing it. I had summoned a "Casts Conductivity" Magic Sin Lord in the Chamber of Sins, and they also raise dead, but even after he died (Fidelitas is a punk, and he systematically killed my spectres first, even though I had 9 zombies, and 10-12 skellies out), they were still randomly showing extras.

In the little bit I've been doing this, I feel like the best spectres I have used are:

1.) Tentacle Miscreations
2.) Spark Skeleton Mages
3.) Special Shot Archers
4.) Rhoa Carcasses (the skellies from the Fetid Pool)
5.) Everything Else.

I leveled pretty fast last night. I'm up to 46, just taking on huge swaths of a zone at one time. I did die once, I was in the Broken Bridge Zone, and somehow managed to pull 4 magic packs, 4 rares, and then a couple of packs of bears. I should have run away, but I was determined to win. In the end, the rare archer with the poison arrows did me in.

Have I mentioned that I think Chaos Damage is worst thing? Ugh.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:13 am

Shoju wrote:Thanks again! My horde is reaching incredible proportions. 22/3 minions, depending.

Which brings me to the next thing. With the new gear I've acquired, my tooltip says "can summon up to 10 Skeletons at a time"
But, MOST of the time, I see 11 running around, and a couple of times last night I had 12 running around. I couldn't figure out what the change was. I even double checked the tooltip, and it still said 10 skeletons.

I thought maybe one of my Spectres was doing it. I had summoned a "Casts Conductivity" Magic Sin Lord in the Chamber of Sins, and they also raise dead, but even after he died (Fidelitas is a punk, and he systematically killed my spectres first, even though I had 9 zombies, and 10-12 skellies out), they were still randomly showing extras.

In the little bit I've been doing this, I feel like the best spectres I have used are:

1.) Tentacle Miscreations
2.) Spark Skeleton Mages
3.) Special Shot Archers
4.) Rhoa Carcasses (the skellies from the Fetid Pool)
5.) Everything Else.

I leveled pretty fast last night. I'm up to 46, just taking on huge swaths of a zone at one time. I did die once, I was in the Broken Bridge Zone, and somehow managed to pull 4 magic packs, 4 rares, and then a couple of packs of bears. I should have run away, but I was determined to win. In the end, the rare archer with the poison arrows did me in.

Have I mentioned that I think Chaos Damage is worst thing? Ugh.


Yup, not a problem. I don't think I've ever seen more than the max on any minion regardless if I spectered a necro mob... so that's odd. Although I usually link my skeles to a spell totem and focus on dodging stuff and keeping my zombies maxed out, so couldn't really say for sure.

As far as Spectres go in addition to Tentacle Miscreations; Flame Sentinels (solaris), Lightning Banners (solaris) Burned Miscreations (lunaris), Carrion Queens (Slums) and Undying Alchs (Sewers) are some of my favorites. With the right support set ups you can get spectres that absolutely decimate everything.

Burned Miscreations are especially potent with Increased Aura Range and Fire Pen along with the usual suspects (minion life and damage) especially if your cursing stuff with flamability/ele weakness. Not to mention flamability/ele weakness go extremely well with Minion Instability. Plus their aura goes through walls... It's absolutely insane how fast they melt shit. They are a bit harder to keep alive than some of the ranged stuff so if I'm being lazy I'll usually go with Tentacle Miscreations, Lightning Banners, Undying Alchs or whatever.

There are a lot of minions that can be really strong depending on how you set up supports.

Chaos damage definitely is a PITA, and speccing Chaos Innoculation requires pretty good gear (less so in default I suppose). That why I like skeles linked to spell totem, more time to pay attention to keeping up curses and dodging bad.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I have my skellies on a totem, but I was summoning up some zoms, and saw that I had 12skellies, so I double checked the gem, and was like... WTF?

So I kept checking. It was weird.

I had thought about going dual totem for a bit, and using arc on a totem, but decided against it. Having Arc to keep me occupied is more fun.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Gab » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 am

Hmm... Both a Quill Rain and a Death's Harp dropped for me last night. So before I get too much further in my build I need to decide if I want to keep going with RoA or switch to a Quill Rain EA build or go with a Death's Harp LA. I'm enjoying RoA so far so maybe I'll just save them for the next time around. There's also the fact that an EA build would be really different from my current build so, while doable, isn't really very conservative with the respecs/regrets.

Also got a 17% Multi strike that I sold for 2 exalts, 2 GCPs. Probably could have gotten slightly more (another GCP or 2) but might as well sell 'em while they're hot.

Good night to say the least.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 am

Nice!

I haven't seen a unique of my own drop.... in a couple of weeks. All told, I've seen 6 drop. Nothing amazing. The Low Level Kite Shield. The Low Level Bow. Araku Tiki, Wanderlust, and Ondar's grasp. My Ranger is currently sporting the Neck, Shoes, and Gloves. I sold the bow same day for 10 Alch.

My Current goal is getting my Summoner ready for Cruel Piety. I want to be about 55 when I go in, mainly so I know that I've picked up some more health from passives.

After that, I'm debating on where I'm going to go. I've outlined 4 "short" paths I could take.

More Passive Resist (Over in the templar area. The 30% from holding a shield) - because Merc's - to resist scares me
More HP (at the beginning of the witch tree, the HP/ES cluster
More Minions. I have one more minion node.
More Damage. The lightning Walker Path at the beginning of the Witch Tree.

That's sort of the order (from most likely to least likely) that I'm currently going with. Especially since the Queen's Decree I picked up on the cheap is being such a bastard with sockets. (100 jewelers in, and no more than 4 sockets on an ilvl 70)

So, if I go for the Passive Resist, I'll probably Head over after that, and pick up the Health and ES clusters, and then use the final destination so to speak as the final minion node. I'm currently running around with 12 Skellies, 8 Zombies, and 3 Spectres, and the only time I run into a problem is if I run into a pack of mobs, and get stupid.

Thank god they fixed the lag problem on the skeleton totem. That was brutal. I bet I lost half a level in Xp to deaths over that little bug.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Next

Return to Other Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest