The Secret World

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: The Secret World

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

The tree spirit things that you have to separate from the little spirits with an Impair (else they're practically invulnerable) are freaking annoying as hell. (Shadowy Forest)

It's particularly annoying because it appears the only impair I've picked up thus far is an elite blood ability on a 20ish second cd.

I've also learned I don't like mobs that get heals from glance attacks... (City of the Sun God)

Also... still getting the lag freeze ups (different from the memory leaks near Innsmouth Academy) and can't figure out if it's my computer, internet, or the game itself. I've changed my graphics settings from Low to Ultra and back again, and it doesn't seem to have any sort of effect on it. Repairing doesn't do anything either. Anyone have any other suggestions that might help at least narrow down the cause (if not actually fix the issue if it's on my side?)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 am

Skye1013 wrote:The tree spirit things that you have to separate from the little spirits with an Impair (else they're practically invulnerable) are freaking annoying as hell. (Shadowy Forest)

It's particularly annoying because it appears the only impair I've picked up thus far is an elite blood ability on a 20ish second cd.

I find that Hindering effects are a lot better (particularly roots). I can't remember exactly, do you need to lock down one spark or more? And don't they despawn if you pull the big spirit far enough away?

Molten Earth (elemental inner circle elite active) and Slow the Advance (rifle version) are both cheap to get once you're in Transylvania. Not sure if that's enough, when I did the quest I had a an AR/Ele build stacked with Hinder effects *cough*.
Paxen

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:19 am

Reading the debuff they had, it suggested impairing them, not sure if they were immune to hinders (the tree was for sure.) And yeah, those were the guys. Only a couple of the spirits made them unkillable (shielding and I think healing ones.)
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 am

Checked a guide, roots work for sure. There's also a trick to completing Last Dance of the Padurii (I assume that's the mission you're on?
Paxen

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't recall the name of it, but you had a music box you were trying to empower via the tree spirits, then you had to kill the fae leader (quest was from Anastasia.) Friend and I duo most things, so we were able to complete it, we just had to separate the fae leader from the shielding spirit which allowed us to dps enough to kill her.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

I upgraded to 64 bit OS recently, and that fixed all the stability issues I had! So now I'm playing again.

I finished all the content from issues #4 and #5 that I hadn't done, and while I'm waiting for issue #6 I'm running the nightmare missions in Transylvania (and a couple in Egypt and one in Blue Mountain). I still haven't tried even Elite dungeons (or any normal dungeons after Polaris). It's a bit weird, seeing how I love running 5-mans in WoW and the TSW dungeons are reportedly so awesome. Just don't feel like posting "dungeon noob in green QL10 gear LFG Elites" in Agartha I guess... But I still got stuff to do. Nightmare missions (IE not Nightmare dungeons, but the outdoor missions with Nightmare mobs) are an excellent challenge. It's very fun to tweak my build or find an entirely new one which allows me to do missions which stomped all over me the first time I tried them!

Currently I've done all but The Girl Who Kicked the Vampire's Nest. That damn mechanic is impossible to solo with what I'm running for now.

My builds are all based on one of two Passive Elites, Forged in Fire (Hammer) or Empowerment (Fists). FiF has a somewhat limited effect, but requires nothing special in stats or +heal. Empowerment has the potential to keep you alive against almost anything, but it requires a very high crit rating, lots of +heal and several passives that places hots on you. Currently I'm running almost exclusivly crit rating as well as Mad Skills (Major Crit rating effect, ie +150 crit rating). My gear is a 50/50 mix of +heal and +attack (it's green, so I get by on the innate HP). Advantage Me (hot when you crit) is always good when I'm so focused on crit, and I generally add one more - Healing Sparks for my Safety Off (AR build), Circulation for my Frenzy/Affliction build and my new Shotgun Strike build (for the Eye of Horus), and sometimes also Lick Your Wounds if I want a third hot. Fever Pitch is nice for extra dps as it removes a lot of glancing hits (plenty of ways to apply Weaken).

The first ones I soloed, I did a couple of months ago. Crossroads (Shadowy Forest demons) was the first one I did, which I did with my Hinder-focused build. I don't think I actually managed to solo all of it, I think I ran into a few others that did it that helped by clearing mobs around me. Finally did it properly all by myself just today - used my AR/Pistol Frenzy build. Ranged consumers are awesome at aoe, activate both then tab to another target that's also full at resources!

The Werewolf mission at the mill in Farmlands was the second one I did. I saved up for all the impairs I could find in Hammer and Chaos, and it went from absolutely nuts to a cakewalk. Tried it with the Safety Off build (with Empowerment/Healing Sparks/Advantage Me) recently and died like a chump.

Before my break I put together a Chaos/Fists burst build specifically for the Last Legion, which I then used almost exclusivly for everything (Healing Sparks and Lick Your Wounds going, Fist consumer and CD for healing, Chaos for damage). Lots of passives spent on damage on hit, almost exclusively +hit glyphs. Used Forged in Fire as I didn't have Empowerment at the time.

Last Dance of the Paduurii was cakewalk with Hinders, and for the Wild Hunt I adapted my impair build and got through ok (removed the impairs, added DR abilities like + block and minor evade chance). Used extra HP and Forged in Fire. Managed to do that now with the Safety Off build, but the tier with the big bug packs gave me fits. They should be pushovers now that I can use the Frenzy build on them.

Ripples (Scarecrows in Farmlands) fit perfectly with Empowerment. Giving me a debuff that is removed when I heal? What debuff! The heralds wiped the floor with me until I noticed all the Weakened stacks he put out. I swapped out the shotgun I used alongside the AR with pistols, and Collaboration (pistol builder, 5s cooldown, cleanse one debuff) saw me through. As an added bonus I was reminded that pistols have that awesome +40% crit chance cooldown - so very, very nice with Empowerment! So now it's Pistols all the way.

Knight of the Draculesti, the Draculesti, a History of Violins, Too Deep, Contagion and the Filth Amendment all went down to the Safety Off build. Foul Banquet went down when I unlocked Circulation and could make the Frenzy build. That should also work on the Last Legion and the Girl Is Gone. Now I'm off to see how my Strike build handles the Eye of Horus!

edit: Great Success!
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 am

Soo, my wife's done with WoW for now, and tried to find an "investigative" game (think Cluedo) when TSW popped in her searches.
Being avid World of Darkness fans, the concept caught her pretty fast and I watched her play a bit when I bit the bullet and bought my own copy.

Damn that game is SMART. We aren't far on our Sword/Fist - Shotgun/AR duo, just starting the Kingsmouth Code, but she's gone a bit further on her solo toon, and the entire concept of outside-the-game enigmas is fascinating. I giggled when she was stuck looking for something to interact with for the morse code thingie, when I half-jokingly stated "Well, it's morse! Translate it!". Same when she needed a guy's password, being his wife's name. She showed me the guy's ID card and, being more savvy to the game's concepts, I wondered whether the URL was real.

Really fun game overall.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Paxen » Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 am

<3 <3 <3 Investigations. My personal favorite is the follow-up to Kingsmouth Code, Digging Deeper (also from the priest).

(If anybody who's not me cares, I finally managed to solo Girl Who Kicked the Vampire's Nest! :D Third passive hot that's not Lick Your Wounds managed to push it over the top.)
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

I think she was doing Digging Deeper yesterday - that's the one with the "Oculus, rara thingie" plaque, right?

Sagara

Postby Paxen » Fri May 17, 2013 1:33 am

Sagara wrote:I think she was doing Digging Deeper yesterday - that's the one with the "Oculus, rara thingie" plaque, right?

Yup. So many cool puzzles inside that vault.
Paxen

Postby Gracerath » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 am

While I really enjoy the game (I get that World of Darkness vibe too, and I love it) there is a big turnoff for me and that is all of the main story missions are solo. I bought the game for a friend back when it was on sale cause I wanted some company and as soon as he got caught up to me in the storyline, we grouped up and found out that woops, solo instance. :( It was just a big letdown cause we wanted to experience the story together and after that realization, we haven't touched it since. Shame, really. If that changes for later missions, I'd love to know cause that may give me a bit more incentive to push for us to play it again.

That being said, I'm getting closer to reinstalling it (got a new PC) and will probably just try to enjoy what I can running solo.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Fri May 24, 2013 1:52 am

I looked around a bit, and found this post on the TSW forums that list all missions with solo instances:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62042

Sadly, nearly all main story missions have solo instances. There's still plenty to do outside main story missions, so perhaps you could save those for when you're not able to play at the same time?
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 am

Rant time!

We're FINALLY done with the main story in Romania, and my wife was getting hped up with Tokyo finally coming, and thinking about buying the issues and gear up while having a bit of fun until we can get issue 9.

UNTIL I read that the only way to enter Tokyo is either via the cash shop extra missions (ON TOP of buying issue 9), or to farm those Scenario for their emblems or wathever. Considering a fresh-out-of-Romania toon is at best capable of having a handful of survivors, and thus 3-ish marks, adding that you have ONE freaking scenario without heading to (surprise) the cash shop, coumpound that you can gear by either:

a) PvP (lulz)
b) Dungeons (I got burned out of instances in WoW and you want me to start farming here? lulz)
c) Using the aformentioned marks (thus aggravating the marks problem)

So instead of a full-on weekend of fun, we basically stopped until we're sure if we're gonna invest more in this game, because we're seriously done with boring-ass grinds.

Sagara

Postby Paxen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:56 am

Sagara wrote:UNTIL I read that the only way to enter Tokyo is either via the cash shop extra missions (ON TOP of buying issue 9), or to farm those Scenario for their emblems or wathever. Considering a fresh-out-of-Romania toon is at best capable of having a handful of survivors, and thus 3-ish marks, adding that you have ONE freaking scenario without heading to (surprise) the cash shop, coumpound that you can gear by either:

Where did you find info on this? I haven't been following TSW actively for a while (done all missions, including the DLC), and I'm basically just content waiting for new content (heh).

Given that what you find is what's going to happen, I'm personally going to go for the cash shop road. I don't mind paying for content, I've bought three mission packs so far (one with free points) and there's also issue #5. They were worth the money. If I have to buy missions to get into Tokyo, I will.

Have you played through issues #5-#7 yet? #5 (Tyler Freeborn) is free, so you should at least give that a try. And if you like Investigation Missions, Sidestories was cool.
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

Paxen wrote:
Sagara wrote:UNTIL I read that the only way to enter Tokyo is either via the cash shop extra missions (ON TOP of buying issue 9), or to farm those Scenario for their emblems or wathever. Considering a fresh-out-of-Romania toon is at best capable of having a handful of survivors, and thus 3-ish marks, adding that you have ONE freaking scenario without heading to (surprise) the cash shop, coumpound that you can gear by either:

Where did you find info on this? I haven't been following TSW actively for a while (done all missions, including the DLC), and I'm basically just content waiting for new content (heh).

Given that what you find is what's going to happen, I'm personally going to go for the cash shop road. I don't mind paying for content, I've bought three mission packs so far (one with free points) and there's also issue #5. They were worth the money. If I have to buy missions to get into Tokyo, I will.

Have you played through issues #5-#7 yet? #5 (Tyler Freeborn) is free, so you should at least give that a try. And if you like Investigation Missions, Sidestories was cool.

To go more into detail, you can either suck Scenarios until your soul bleeds Filth, or you can buy the parallel stories pack (the latest, non-issue linked one) and then you'll have access to a "Counterfeit" permit for 1mil Pax.

Also, that's odd, I just checked the in-game shop, issue 5 is still paying, 750 credit (still less than the other 1200 credits, though).

I guess I'm mostly pissed that once again, if I even want to see what's left of the content, it's going to be either grind to death, or find a cabal, bond myself to yet another schedule, something I threw out the window 6 months ago to be available to my kid. I can't wait for Bioware to finish with DA3 right now. At least I don't *need* people around to enjoy their game.

If I wanted a fun group romp, I'd have stayed playing Mage around dice and pencil, thank you very much.

Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games