The Secret World

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: The Secret World

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:58 am

Man, Kingsmouth has a lot of conent. I don't even think I'm 1/3 of the way done yet and I've almost filled out the basic levels of pistol and shotgun and I'll be able to start working on the next level of skills. I'm basically doing all the things and taking my time doing so. The "stealth" missions are somewhat fun. Sadly for most of the investigation missions, I just use the in game browser for every step and cheat looking at a wiki. There are a few parts I was able to figure out for myself but a lot of them rely on damn near OCD exploration. Which I'm glad others have taken the time to do for me :)

I have no idea what I'm doing with crafting. I did the tutorial missions for weapons and talisman crafting but I don't seem to be able to do much with them. Hell, it seems like 90% of the stuff I pick up I can't even take apart for their materials.

I will say that the setting is holding this game up for me, along with no sub fee. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be tolerating the issues I've been having. Random crashes, rubber banding, lag and all the other usual suspects. Every time I close the game, I get an error box popping up for one reason or another.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 am

Gracerath wrote:Sadly for most of the investigation missions, I just use the in game browser for every step and cheat looking at a wiki. There are a few parts I was able to figure out for myself but a lot of them rely on damn near OCD exploration. Which I'm glad others have taken the time to do for me :)

But that's some of the best content there is :( Why would you want to skip all that?
Paxen

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:06 am

I do rather like exploring but I often miss the little details. For example, I did one last night where if you didn't read one plaque on a bridge carefully (or even at all, they can be hard to notice) I would have never completed it. Heck, I've been across those bridges several times to the other area but I generally took one of the southern ones. Not saying I wouldn't have found it eventually but there is a lot to explore and do. Like I said, I'm able to figure out a good amount on my own but in the end my time is limited and I like to be somewhat efficient. Speaking of the mission above called The Vision, I believe I did 3 or 4 of the steps on my own just by looking at the map. The final part was the plaque I missed.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:54 pm

The clues scattered around the map bit I can understand (the bridge had me stumped as well), but the real beauty of investigations is IMHO the bits where you have to google some obscure clue (or several before you figure out the real clue) and find some real life info that helps you solve the mystery.

I take it you're not cheating on those parts..?
Paxen

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Naw. There was one I did that sent me to a webpage that I think Funcom set up specifically for the game that had some Illuminati clues for a mission. That was neat. There was another one I did in beta that had you googling something or other using a clue for a computer password (I can't remember exactly what it was) but I haven't come across it yet in the retail game (I get distracted easily and wander off).

I think I'm maybe 1/3 of the way done with the missions in Kingsmouth, at least from the various NPC's. There are a ton of the side missions around that I end up skipping because as I said, I get too easily side tracked and I actually want to complete the thing I'm on. That reminds me.. there is a corpse under one of the bridges I was exploring last night that I need to go investigate again ....

EDIT: My wording in the last few posts is a bit contradictive. I did say I cheated on most/all but I've really only done like 3 or 4 of the investigation missions, so it isn't like I've missed out on the entire game's worth of investigations. Just a few of the starting ones and only for a few steps.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:24 am

Good to hear!

Have you done the Kingsmouth Code and Digging Deeper yet? (Both from Henry Hawthorne.) Those are my favorite missions in Kingsmouth.
Paxen

Postby Gracerath » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 am

The Kingsmouth code sounds familiar, I think I did that one. Not sure about the other but I will check for it the next time I log in.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Teloc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 am

I picked this game up as well when it was on sale. I've been running around with my little Templar. I've maxed out 3 skill groups on the inner ring. As I keep switching around trying different things. Almost finished my 4th group.. I've learned all the basics of Blood, elemental, fists, and just about finishing up shotgun.

I'm only a part way threw The Savage Coast and I do enjoy the setting. I kinda cheat as well on the investigation missions, but I tend to figure it out. Then just look up the answer cause I don't feel like guessing on some parts.. The Room 13 quest with the symbols from the book is hard to read at one point and was messing me up.

I think I'm going to work towards the magus build at this point. Then branch out from there. Since a good solid build should help me progress faster than my current method of OHH PRETTY WHATS THIS DO?

Also for my bonus points I bought the speed boosts...BEST purchase ever.
Teloc

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am

I just got myself to the Savage Coast. I got up to that point in the beta as far as the main story goes so soon I'll be treading new ground. I'm excited.

As is my nature in MMO's that feature a trinity, I'm building a tank spec. Currently Hammer / Chaos and I'll be going for the Bodyguard deck. I like the suit and I've already got the points needed in Shotgun and there are lots of hammer abilities that I like. I'm making a beeline for the Forged in Fire ability. It will help a lot for soloing and it is part of the deck, so bonus.

I haven't built up the courage to put myself in the pool for Polaris yet. I've tanked for years in WoW and EQ, so I dare say I'm good at it but there is still a lot of pressure on a tank. Once I get that first one under my belt, the dam will break and it will be like old hat. Just got to get that first one done ...

I don't like the crafting in this game. Or rather, something seems buggy or inconsistent. I have an issue and maybe I'm just missing something. Is there something that tells you whether or not you can disassemble an item just by looking at its icon or mousing over it? I have so much shit I've looted that I try to disassemble but it never works. I'd rather not have to open the damn window every time. Also, my inventory is a nightmare. I finally got all my crafting materials shoved into a different bag so that helps a bit but man it is a pain in the ass to dig out the right items at a glance. The search window is a blessing but still. I'd like to just be able to differentiate them visually.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Forged in Fire is fantastic for soloing. A lot of my earlier builds became more and more useless as I progressed through the game, but by just adding FiF they became viable for soloing again. Even my pistol/elemental crit/weaken/chain build that's totally focused on damage.

I heard that they made a lot of the items in Kingsmouth not eligble for disassembly at some point, but I don't know what items. I don't bother with them any more, when you got access to QL10 items QL2-3 are just junk.

I'm not sure if they still sell them after the pvp revamp, but a trick I used was to buy purple QL10 anima from the pvp vendor. I played a round of Fusang, and that earned me enough for 3 or so anima items. Grab the ones with the stats you want on your gear, and disassemble them. One anima yields something like 4 Pure quality runes, each of which can then be disassembled downwards to the QL you need. Very nice if you can find the glyph toolkits to give yourself the secondary stats you want.
Paxen

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Gracerath wrote:I haven't built up the courage to put myself in the pool for Polaris yet. I've tanked for years in WoW and EQ, so I dare say I'm good at it but there is still a lot of pressure on a tank. Once I get that first one under my belt, the dam will break and it will be like old hat. Just got to get that first one done ...

Friend and I went back and two-manned Polaris (~QL6 gear.) He was playing a tanky blade/chaos with self-healing (he might have dropped the blade for blood at some point, I don't remember) and I was playing a healy shotgun/blood (at least until I unlocked the assault rifle stuff that I wanted for the leech heals.) Now I'm doing assault/blood. Anywho, I digress... the hardest part of the entire dungeon was the final boss, and not because of mechanics, it was more due to dps checks that we were struggling to meet initially. I would encourage you to go check it out because you get a nice chunk of AP/SP upon completion.

As for the ability wheel, you'll get more AP/SP per quest the farther you go. I'm currently running around Egypt and get a ton of AP (enough that I've finally "finished" my assault/blood build for the moment.)

My Chronicle:
http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Mist-Wolf

I was working towards the Grifter deck initially, but as you can see, I've gone all over the place and still haven't finished that one out :lol:. I'm thinking I might knock out the Necromancer deck for the outfit.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm definitely going to have to change my spec up a bit I think. I was following a beginner tank spec and I am basically using it for everything because I want to commit it to muscle memory but I'm finding that it is starting to lack in the soloing department. The damage is kind of lowish and certain missions are really kicking my ass. There are a few in the Savage Coast that have an objective to survive waves of mobs and I just can't do it. That could be a gear issue or I need to just find some good healing potions or a change in spec is needed. I'm starting to get into QL4 gear now as rewards and I could potentially pick up some blue QL5 weapons from the Council of Venice vendor but I'm not sure if I should save my tokens for the QL6 stuff in Blue Mountain instead.

Speaking of Savage Coast. Innsmouth Academy. Awesome and really annoying at the same time. The awesome part? Amazing voice acting. I spent 30 mins last night just listening to everyone's story there. And a few missions (the basement is creepy). The annoying part? I'm not sure what the deal is but I get mini lockups every few steps when I'm around that place. It is crippling.

I think that is the thing that is making me merely like this game instead of love it. It is like WAR in that regard. So many technical issues. Random crashes, lockups, lag and all that jazz. I wouldn't be putting up with that if I had to pay a monthly sub.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Gracerath wrote:The annoying part? I'm not sure what the deal is but I get mini lockups every few steps when I'm around that place. It is crippling.

Yeah, there appears to be a memory leak in that area that people are thinking has something to do with the mirrors used in the To Sir, With Love quest. Good news is that it goes back to the "normal" crash rate once you move out of there.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Said (sp) is definitely my most favorite character so far (I've just started questing in the City of the Sun God, so there is still room for someone to take his place.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 am

Passive self-heal abilities are awesome when soloing, if you use a couple of pieces of +heal gear. Remember that passives aren't limited by equipped weapons.
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games