Magicka

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Magicka

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 pm

This has to be the best $12 I've spent on a game in quite some time. Would have been only $6, but I picked up a bundle that included 8 of the xpacs.

Description: In Magicka, up to four mages of a sacred order travel to fight against an evil sorcerer and his creations. The game world is based loosely on Norse mythology, drawing inspiration from other fantasy games like Warhammer and Diablo, while also making regular use of comedy and self-referential humor. The game also takes liberties when it comes to the classic fantasy setting, at one point supplying the players with an M60 machine gun. In expansions the game also explores a Vietnam War setting as well as the lovecraftian Cthulhu universe.

Why it's fun: Some of the bosses are a bit of a challenge to figure out 1) who/what your target is, 2) how best to go about defeating them. There is a TON of geek humor with references to Star Wars, Star Trek, Zelda, King Arthur, Monty Python and more! Also, team attack is on... always. Making this game immensely more interesting if you have a few friends to play with. My friend and I were constantly killing each other (on "accident" >.>) but it's fairly easy to rez, so it doesn't really hurt the gameplay (plus you can steal their weapons! At least until they kill you to get them back...)

Why some people won't like it: Graphics are cartoony, team attack is always on (some people just can't enjoy this for what it is :D), a lot of the Adventure story is pretty cheesy (to include actual cheese.)

Some hilarious moments so far:
-Being able to "cross the beams" with certain spells can lead to some entertaining results. Crossing similar element beams can make for a bigger bang. Crossing opposite element beams can lead to some fun explosions (be careful about doing this when right next to each other.)
-Killing yourself because you've forgotten to dry yourself off after getting hit by a water spell, then trying to use a lightning spell.
-Regularly killing your teammate because lightning is damn hard to aim >.>
-Magic battles while ice skating (be careful with fire spells, cause wizards can't swim!)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Re: Magicka

Postby bldavis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 pm

one thing that i love that you didnt list was the variety of ways you can attack
you can throw flaming rocks, shoot a beam of lighting and fire, air burst enemies away (if you play TF2, think pyro air blast) and you can have spray weapons (fire and water)

also combining different elements to make different new elements was fun
ie fire/water = steam, water/frost = ice (icy shards you fire out in a spray pattern)

very tongue in cheek, but a whole lot of fun
there is a point early in the game where you come across a woman with a yellow ! above her head, through the dialogue, she informs you that she has rats in her basement that need killed, but then wonders what that exclamation point over her head was

just a side note for those who play, there is a reason the in game language sounds like swedish
it is basically a gibberish version of swedish (the studio is based in Helsinki)

great game, much fun to play with friends
and remember
the safe word is BANANER! :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I kind of touched on it in my hilarious moments section, but yes, combining the different spells to make all kinds of variations is great.

Also:
The game world is based loosely on Norse mythology.

I assumed this had some part to play with the language they're speaking as well.

Still trying to figure out the purpose of the "Crash to Desktop" spell, since ~90% of the time it targets me... not my enemies/friends...

Edit: Some other geek references:
-Back to the Future
-Highlander
-WoW
-King's Quest
-Sherlock Holmes
-LotR
-James Bond

Another hilarious moment: Crossing healing beams, causing an explosion that kills one or more participants XD.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Dion » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 am

Skye1013 wrote:I kind of touched on it in my hilarious moments section, but yes, combining the different spells to make all kinds of variations is great.

Also:
The game world is based loosely on Norse mythology.

I assumed this had some part to play with the language they're speaking as well.

Still trying to figure out the purpose of the "Crash to Desktop" spell, since ~90% of the time it targets me... not my enemies/friends...

Mostly joke of buggy release Picture says it all :D

They seem to speak part swedish and part gibberish. It's funny feeling when you understand partly what they are saying. :D
Dion

Return to Other Games