Remove Advertisements

Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Flex » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Sagara wrote:
Flex wrote:Some of the Legendary effects are nice: legendary pants that grant increased damage and resource generation while moving, and decreases both while standing still, 4 piece monk set grants the base effect of all 4 mantras, a ring that makes you immune to arcane damage but instead heal for 25% of the damage absorbed. There are Legendary potions that replace normal potions and grant increased Life on Kill for a few seconds after using.

[Whirldwinding intesifies]

That spec is pretty much dead. No more rage on crit for Battle Rage and Thrive on Chaos is now a heal for fury spent.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Aubade » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:02 am

So I'm realllllly late to the party on Diablo 3, but I just bought it for Ps3 on black friday. Currently on act 2 on my barbarian having a blast! although I'm pretty damn lost on what stats outside of str/vit I should be looking for in gear, and wether or not it's best to dual wield mighty/1h weapons, use a good 2h weapon, or a 1h and shield.

Also my build is a little off haha
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:57 pm

All depends on what you like doing, but there are three DPS stats. Attack Speed, Crit and Crit Damage. My Barb on PC is Crit/Crit Damage. North of 60% crit and 480% crit damage for a hybrid whirlwind/Hammer of the Ancients build.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Aubade » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I want to farm Inferno! A.K.A A soloing build for PvE no idea what my options are
Aubade

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Aubade wrote:I want to farm Inferno! A.K.A A soloing build for PvE no idea what my options are

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/b ... eZY!YbZYZc that's what I use. Whirlwind Rune can be changed to full speed movement to more damage if you aren't dying. Hammer of the Ancients can be changed to War Cry+Impunity if you are dying too much.

I hate the pure whirlwind build because it is very very boring, which is why I keep Hammer because it is fun, so often times I swap out Sprint for Leap.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Aubade wrote:So I'm realllllly late to the party on Diablo 3, but I just bought it for Ps3 on black friday. Currently on act 2 on my barbarian having a blast! although I'm pretty damn lost on what stats outside of str/vit I should be looking for in gear, and wether or not it's best to dual wield mighty/1h weapons, use a good 2h weapon, or a 1h and shield.

Also my build is a little off haha

Whirlwinding is possible and fun so far. (no clue about RoS, but w/e it's far).

Main points:
Dual wield > 2h. You get better stats from 2x 1h than from a 2h (unless you get your hands on a 1400+ dps 2h with 2 sockets at 60). You can also go with 1h+shield in theory, if you find a shield with 10% crit and shittons of STR, but dual wield is overally better.
Get Life on hit for leveling. A weapon (or two) with socket and a purple gem (square is cool, costs almost nothing) will work well till you cap level. Replace with lifesteal when you hit 30k+ DPS. Until your damage is extremely high, you will really want lifesteal on both weapons and barbarian-specific belt.
Whirlwind spec is based on dishing constant damage so you outheal the damage you eat. You still cannot stand in shit for too long, and if you get rooted/stunned you might die in few seconds.
You will want some resists, but not too much. Hitting 400 all resist at 60 will make you able to survive pretty much anything up to MP10 assuming you don't just stand in shit but only walk over it.

My barbarian: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Worl ... o/16160038

There's several valid builds out here, you might want to adapt skills to your gear / gamestyle.
Key abilities:
Whirlwind (well duh) - several runes: extra speed rune is the most common as it makes you get out of shit quickly. You can also opt for the heal on crit rune if you have survivability issues, or Volcanic Eruption if your survivability is fine and you just want more damage. If you have issues keeping whirlwinding (due to not having enough crit), the Wind Shear rune will allow you to spin indefinitely assuming you hit 3+ mobs.
War Cry + Impunity: 20% armor and 20% resist, and some on demand rage, not *totally* mandatory but does a great deal to help your survivability. Use extra armor rune until you get the Impunity one.
Battle Rage + Into the Fray: Buffs your damage, and also grants you rage on crits. Will be your main Fury-generator once you start having enough crit.
Sprint + Run Like the Wind: You will need some crit in order to make proper use of this ability, as it costs a lot of fury to keep it up. Essentially, big buff to your speed (again, getting out of shit), and leaves tornados along the way, which both deal extra damage, and generate extra Fury with the Into the Fray rune.
That leaves you with 2 abilities to pick to fill your build.
You are going to need one Primary ability to generate the initial Fury to start spinning. Which one you pick depends on your playstyle, my personal preference is Bash + Clobber, which essentially allows to almost perma-stun single bosses or elites, or keep an enemy at bay for a handful seconds to refill your Fury.
Second ability can be many things. Most people opt for one of the Rage abilities, usually Wrath of The Berserker combined with Thrive on Chaos: once you get enough crit to permaspin, with enough mobs around you can make WotB last even more than its cooldown.
A valid alternative when you still don't have a lot of damage / defense is Revenge (rune of your choice, preferably Provocation), which is more or less spammable while spinning in many mobs, and which will keep you alive when you don't lifesteal enough.

Regarding passives, there's several options, your choices really depend on your survivability and damage. Valid options:
Survivability: Nerves of Steel, Superstition, Bloodthirst, Tough as Nails
Damage: Brawler, Ruthless, Weapons Master

Hope this was helpful.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Revenge breaks your current Whirlwind.
Overpower is a good ability to use with Whirlwind as it doesn't break the Whirlwind to be usable.

Gear difference between Console (better stats, no AH, described as loot 1.5) and PC (shitty drops hopefully good stuff on the AH) makes it hard to compare gear between the two.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Revenge does break Whirlwind, but expecially with the last rune, it's almost spammable so provides better sustain than Overpower in my opinion.
Still, as 6th ability I tend to prefer WotB simply to help bursting down the first mobs of elite packs.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Worldie wrote:Revenge does break Whirlwind, but expecially with the last rune, it's almost spammable so provides better sustain than Overpower in my opinion.
Still, as 6th ability I tend to prefer WotB simply to help bursting down the first mobs of elite packs.

With enough crit Overpower is pretty much constantly usable without breaking the whirlwind of doom.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm

True, but I was suggesting Revenge for a low geared / leveling char. Once you got enough crit you might as well just take WotB in its place :P

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Speaking of Barbs, here's what i'm currently trying. I'm right at the point moving between low gear and high gear, so things will probably change pretty fast...

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sagara-2842/hero/1851663
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:17 pm

You really should swap to lifesteal. Past 30k or so DPS, 2% lifesteal returns more than any LoH you can find.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:33 pm

With just 3% life steal with my Skorn HotA build I can get over 20K healing per hammer hit.

If you're married to dual wield whirlwind you want to grab a cheap 3% Lifesteal set belt and if you can a life steal dagger for the OH.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:13 pm

The main problem with LoH (other than no scaling) is that it doesn't proc on all the damage you do (doesn't proc off tornados, and I'm quite confident it doesn't proc on all WW hits, but rather once per "tick"), while you lifesteal off everything including dots and aoes.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aubade » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm

So I've got currently.

Cleave, Leap, Battle cry, revenge (Don't have Overpower yet.) Earthquake, and whirlwind. I was using rend over ww because I thought the healing rune would be better self healing but I tried ww because of you guys and omgwtfbbq it's op as hell. Runes and passives are in the air because I'm level 23 and don't have much atm. Also crafting most of my own gear esp weapons.
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games