Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Flex » Fri May 17, 2013 11:50 am

You should be able to do MP5 if you switch in a defensive passive or two. On my barb I switch in Toughness for the cooldown reduction on Wrath of the Berserker and carry a shield for them. But I am usually in a group when I do them with a Demon Hunter that tanks everything.

http://d3up.com/ is probably the best character profiler out there.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Fri May 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks. Farming as Archon wizard, but I suppose I should go in with some CM build, since Archon won't get much uptime without trash to kill.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Gab » Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 am

Just picked this back up, a couple of buddies started playing again.

The new version of this game deserves a big WTF!?! I spent the ~$3 I had left from the RMAH on some gear for my Barb and went on some Uber (the machine bosses?) boss kills with another Barb and a CM Wizard.

I'm sorry but to me... This game is utterly borken now... with $3 worth of shit I could stand on multiple stacked poison clouds getting pounded on by both Ghom and Rakanoth on MP7 while just spinning and spinning and... spinning. This was with 90 mil or so worth of gear and 15 minutes of knocking the rust off.

No need to do anything but spin and spam sprint so that Wrath doesn't fall off. I guess for mindless fun it was alright... I couldn't see me playing anything other than HC self found for more than a night or two though. With Path of Exile in my opinion being hands down better in every possible way (aside from graphics and syncing) I'm not seeing that happening either.

Is it just that Barbs are imba now or are all classes more or less indestructable?
Gab

Postby Era » Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 am

I guess one could argue that most games become boring if you just buy your way to the gear you need. :P

Depends a bit on what kind of player you are, I suppose. I actually enjoy doing farming runs with my friends, and yeah, while I also then spend the money I earned to buy gear, I've gotten plenty of hours worth of fun between every +1MP I can handle. If I jumped straight into MP7, I would've missed out quite a few hours of gameplay. Considering that they've upped the monster density and equalized drops, there's quite a range of worthwhile farming routes out there, so it's not so grindy.

If you find MP7 boring, why don't you try MP10? And if you can't handle MP10, then hey, you have a challenge for yourself!
If you're being indestructible, then maybe you're just in the wrong difficulty. I'd be pretty damn omnipotent if I took down the difficulty 3-4 notches too. :P

There's also things you can do to create fun for yourself, instead of just hopping into the best gear and the best builds straight away. Try different builds, classes, playstyles. That is, if you're really willing to give the game a shot and do what you can to get your money's worth. :wink:

I've briefly tried Path of Exile as well, and it seems pretty great. I'd agree that it's more "Diably-ish" than Diablo 3 is. As far as I'm concerned, if you look at D3 as a sequel to D2, it doesn't do too good. But if you look at it as "Action RPG X", it's actually pretty good. The mechanics are solid, there's a decent amount of content, and while the itemization could be better, at least it has a team who's aware and are churning out patches at some pace. So there's hope!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Flex » Tue May 21, 2013 10:32 am

The Ghom/Rakanoth combo is easily the best for WW/Sprint (worst build ever as it is the opposite of fun) Barb since the clouds feed your Fury so you'll never run dry and any LoH will keep you alive.

The way the economy is: Good enough gear (which is all anyone really needs) is cheap, the best gear is unaffordable.

I tried playing PoE but the fact that I can't zoom out to a comfortable distance was a deal breaker resulting in its uninstall after 30 minutes of playing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 am

Flex wrote:I tried playing PoE but the fact that I can't zoom out to a comfortable distance was a deal breaker resulting in its uninstall after 30 minutes of playing.

I'm a tall guy irl, and when that happens in games, I feel like I'm in a room where the ceiling is too low. I almost always ran WoW with the max view distance on.
Era

Postby Gab » Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Flex wrote: WW/Sprint (worst build ever as it is the opposite of fun)

I guess maybe that's my problem. Should spec out of it and try before passing judgment.

That money that I spent might as well have been old gold, I earned it playing when it first launched. It's such a drastic change from launch where I switched toons from Barb to Wizard because Melee, especially Barbs, got mutilated without, at the time, insane gear. Now I come back and a moron build with a tiny bit of effort's worth of gear (however you want to quantify it) lets you steam roll pretty close to the highest possible content. I guess it's just a bit of a shock going from launch to now without having been involved in the incremental changes.

I was surprised when one of the people I was playing with said it wasn't really worth picking up anything other than legendaries. That's just crazy to me.
Gab

Postby Era » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah. Legendaries or ilvl 63 rares. Personlly I tend to pick up all yellows, but I'm starting to wonder why I bother. 99% of them go straight to the woodchipper.
Itemization is a big big problem at the moment, and as you both say, getting good-to-great gear is cheaper than it maybe should be.

I get most of my D3 fun through farming runs with friends, changing up the routes and acts every once in a while, as well as the builds we use.
Era

Postby Flex » Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 pm

I use a hybrid WW and Hammer of the Ancients build. I find WW stupid for elites/champions and HotA is awesome for those.
Flex

Postby Era » Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Gets me every time. Been farming for 30 minutes straight without dying, find a Fortune Shrine, activate it... Die right after.

Era

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Bad fortune is still fortune.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Shrine of Unspecified Fortune.
Era

Postby Era » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Trying to farm in Act 4. Brb, grating my face.
Era

Postby Era » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:49 am

So, Crusader, eh?

Era

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 am

I hope not all of the environments are dark to appease the "Diablo 3 is too colorful" people. I really dug the color and art style used for the environments.

Strength wielding holy warrior for great justice is just what I need.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games