Remove Advertisements

Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Gab wrote: Maybe it would be best to hold off on the MF portion and getting more survivability/mobility until I'm level capped with better gear?

While you’re leveling up you should put all of your focus on picking up DPS / Survival gear and not have any concern about MF / GF. The obvious exception is that if you snag a 4 or 5 stat rare with Prime stat, Vitality, DPS, MF it’s not going to affect you like it would if it was a 2 stat blue with just Prime stat and MF.

I've got a friend who would simply ask how much Dexterity is on something and determine if he wanted it solely based on that and declined a sword I wanted to give him. I convinced him to shut up and use the compare stats tooltip and he was shocked to see a +500 damage increase due to the attack speed and base damage of the weapon.

The only unfortunate thing is that the compare tip only shows you how much health, damage and armor you gain / lose and doesn't show things liek thorns / life steal.

----

On a general note, I recommend everyone turn on advanced tool tips for their abilities so you can see things like "Seven Sided Strike: Deals 777% Weapon Damage over 7 hits" Vs. "Seven Sided Strike "Hits 7 opponents in the area."
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Flex » Tue May 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:
Gab wrote: Maybe it would be best to hold off on the MF portion and getting more survivability/mobility until I'm level capped with better gear?

While you’re leveling up you should put all of your focus on picking up DPS / Survival gear and not have any concern about MF / GF.

Right. If you play the game as Blizzard wants Diablo 3 played vs how Diablo 2 was played you'll go into every boss fight with 75% MF/GF due to the Nephalam Valor buff.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 22, 2012 1:30 pm

The Nephalem Valor buff increases a player's Magic Find as well as increase the amount of loot drops from a boss.
The Nephalem Valor buff will be available only to characters of level 60.
After killing an Elite monster, the Nephalem Valor buff will be activated.
The Nephalem Valor buff can stack.
The buff will disappear if you change a skill, skill rune, passive skill or leave the game.
If a player joins a game, they will not receive the current buff other players may already have.
Dying will not cause the buff to disappear. If disconnected, there will be a small grace period before disappearing.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Gab » Tue May 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Legendary, thanks for the advice things are going much smoother with a few changes. I thought I was jumping the gun a bit on the MF but wanted to kind of get the feel for it down. Because of the buff and what you'll get from gear it sounds like that will end up being mostly unnecessary. That buff is awesome btw... versus carrying around bags full of 7% MF charms this is a huge improvement over D2. Thanks for the heads up on the buff, haven't had the time to keep up with all the reading.

EDIT: link to new build I've been running. Seems extremely effective so far, haven't had to change skills at all and haven't died more than once to a pack/boss in the last 4 levels. At first I thought it would be too little damage but if you find yourself a decent weapon it's plenty for even NM Izzy and Diablo.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahVXRi!aYe!YYaaba

Pound of flesh seemed a little weak at first glance. After unscientific comparison between it and Nerves of Steel/Inspiring Presence/Bloodthirst, I think I might have grossly underestimated it. Still up in the air about Bash vs Frenzy for a 1h + shield and 2h. Frenzy is clearly better when DWing.

@Flex
In your turtle build, are you soloing or grouping? How well is cleave working for you vs single targets as your main filler/fury generator?
Gab

Postby tinalt » Tue May 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm really curious to try out DW daggers with frenzy, it seems like having 2 quick weapons+15% attack speed buff from DW+ 5 stack of frenzy would mean you'd be attacking insanely fast.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 am

How serious are you guys taking the little ally/NPC guy?
I've just stuck with the Templar, speced him healing/regen spells, thrown a couple increased gold find items on him, and then pretty much ignored him.

I get the feeling though that eventually I'm gonna need some DPS help at later stages in the game. I'm specing and gearing my Barbarian very defensively because I play very conservative and hate to die, and I know my damage output is going to be pretty bad as a result.

How helpful can the allies really get? Is it worth it to actually invest resources into giving them good gear while leveling? I've been focusing on trying to level up my Armourer guy's skills in order to get access to crafted gear much more powerful than anything I'm seeing drop.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Fenrìr » Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 am

I've been running with the Enchantress. She has on a couple of times saved my life with how I specced her. I do try to keep her gear up to date with her level with decent stuff, but I'm not going to go spend 100k's worth of gold right now when I'm just progressing through Hell mode.

Now here's something I've been wondering about. Does the items you put on your followers affect you? IE: does MF/GF on the follower help you as a player at all?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 am

Brekkie wrote:How serious are you guys taking the little ally/NPC guy?
I've just stuck with the Templar, speced him healing/regen spells, thrown a couple increased gold find items on him, and then pretty much ignored him.
As a level 21 Wizard just about to start Act III I love my little Templar. I'm loading him up with as much Vit as I can get. He is up to about 4,000 health I think (I have 1300-1400). He does barely any damage, but things enjoy hitting him.

Brekkie wrote:I've been focusing on trying to level up my Armourer guy's skills in order to get access to crafted gear much more powerful than anything I'm seeing drop.
Have you tried AHing? For my level can pick up Rare items with 3/4 decent stats for 500-1000g.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed May 23, 2012 7:06 am

Brekkie wrote:How serious are you guys taking the little ally/NPC guy?

The damage the companions deal is extremely low from what I’ve experienced. However each one can be useful to either tank, heal or give you buffs.

I've started to look onto the AH for gear versus crafting my own gear. I’ve been able to buy good upgrades for 20,000 gold when it costs 11,000 gold + materials to craft 1 random stat item that’s my level (mid 50’s).

I’ve also stopped combining gems because AH prices are ridiculously cheaper… for example if you combine 3 radiant gems into a square it’s 7,500 gold.. I’ve been buying Square gems for <1000 gold on the AH. 

I found my first Legendary last night!

Giant Skull

Legendary Helm

310-392 Armor
Sockets (1)
1.0-3.5% Chance to Knockback on Hit
One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
+92-101 Strength
+60-65 Strength
One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
+85-145 Armor
+127-217 Armor
+2 Random Magic Properties.

Mine had Dexterity & +3% to Health.

(Originally got MF confused with gloves I found)

I find it interesting that even on legendary items the stats are still very random. They have a few stats that are almost always on the item like I believe Giant Skull always has Str, Defense, Knockback, Socket but the other stats are RNG. Even the stats

*Edited to copy paste IGN information on helmet*
Shyrtandros

Postby lythac » Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 am

So I just found out you can play D3 off a USB flash drive. And WoW it seems.

What have people do doing with keybinds? Last night after only a few hours my hand was going all evil and crampy on me. And I have been hitting tab a lot. Reading through this thread on D3DB pretty sure I am going to unbind tab and change move lock to space.

Primary - Mouse1
Secondary - Mouse2
1 - A
2 - W
3 - D
4 - S
Potion - F
Move lock - Space

Playing a Wizard (and on normal) my 4 is only used for a self buff. Kinda want a new mouse for either Potion or Move Lock.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed May 23, 2012 8:20 am

lythac wrote:So I just found out you can play D3 off a USB flash drive. And WoW it seems.

What have people do doing with keybinds? Last night after only a few hours my hand was going all evil and crampy on me. And I have been hitting tab a lot. Reading through this thread on D3DB pretty sure I am going to unbind tab and change move lock to space.

Primary - Mouse1
Secondary - Mouse2
1 - A
2 - W
3 - D
4 - S
Potion - F
Move lock - Space

Playing a Wizard (and on normal) my 4 is only used for a self buff. Kinda want a new mouse for either Potion or Move Lock.

The first recommendations that were made by some websites were to rebind from 1234 to QWER since that's what most LOL players where used to.

I'm still using the basic M1, M2, 1234 since thats what I had actually rebound my LOL keys to.

I've contemplated making a few changes however I haven't seen a need since on every game I play I use `,1,2,3,4, as primary keys.

The only one I've really wanted to change is my potion key and just not sure where to put it.. (I'm started to just get used to it now.. lol)
Shyrtandros

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 am

I hate hate hate hate hate the diablo click to move. The sheer idiocy of having "don't stand in the fire" mechanics coupled with "oh yeah boss models are so fucking huge if you try to click to move you're going to stop and shoot him instead" is mindboggling stupid.

Lo and behold, there's an Autokey script that enables WASD movement.

http://code.google.com/p/diablo-3-keybo ... t-binding/

Holy Anu does this make the game better, especially as a ranged class.

The one problem I've run into so far is P3 Belial, when something about the changed viewport borks it. Apparently this is a known issue and not fixable.

But other than that, it works everywhere else and makes life better.

On my Hunter I have tumble bound to spacebar, so I can still feel like I'm jumping :]
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I hate hate hate hate hate the diablo click to move. The sheer idiocy of having "don't stand in the fire" mechanics coupled with "oh yeah boss models are so fucking huge if you try to click to move you're going to stop and shoot him instead" is mindboggling stupid.

There is a reason there is the ability to just move rather than "move/shoot/interact"
Treck

Postby Flex » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

My naga is pretty good for Diablo. 1 to 3 are quick and easy to reach, 4 is bound to a long cooldown DPS ability. I have 5 bound to potion and one of the upper side buttons bound to move.

Now here's something I've been wondering about. Does the items you put on your followers affect you? IE: does MF/GF on the follower help you as a player at all?

I read that you get 20% of the MF/GF on your followers.

I've redone a few things on my Barbarian, now that Inferno mode is something I'll be doing, to this build. Having the snare on cleave means more uptime on runners which turns out to be more damage than just more damage.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby aureon » Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

For everyone saying "it's too easy" and bullshit.
HELL HITS HARD. VERY HARD. PREPARE TO CRY.
INFERNO.. OH DAFUQ IS DAT SHIT, RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games