Remove Advertisements

Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Worldie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:04 pm

So wait, you telling me the 6% lifesteal i got is completely useless and i wasted my money? :S
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 pm

aureon wrote:OK, hear my words.
As a fellow tank and mathematician.
String of Ears sucks. Really, really sucks. Even 20% ones.

If you want to take less melee damage, nothing is going to do it better than String of Ears. It's equivalent to ~300 physical resist for most people, if you're taking punches in the face.

That said, post-1.03, it's not best in slot for A3/A4 Inferno. Most of the dangerous damage is not melee, and the prospect of stacking enough resist/armor to reduce Molten and various awful fireballs / succubus bolts to tankable levels is much more reasonable now. I will probably wind up switching when I find an awesome belt.

Stormshield, however, sucks pretty bad for its asking price.

Worldie wrote:So wait, you telling me the 6% lifesteal i got is completely useless and i wasted my money? :S

Not useless, but pretty lousy until you get good DPS gear. Given an attack that connects for 20k with 100% LoH coefficient, 6% lifesteal in Inferno is as effective as 240 LoH.

Most builds that take advantage of LoH to heal meaningfully use spells with high coefficients. For example, on my melee wizard I have about 11k listed DPS, perform roughly 70k DPS with an ideal rotation, and generate in excess of 400% LoH per second against a single target. My 1200 LoH would match 34% lifesteal.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Passionario » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Winkle wrote:Lifesteal has a coefficient of 0.2 on damage in Inferno though. At 70k dps you would need 5k lifesteal to get 1000hps which is equivalent to 666LoH considering 1.5 attacks/sec

Yeah, but Lifesteal procs from all damage you do. Many attacks either don't proc LoH at all or do so at ridiculously low coefficients.
And Barbarians can get an additional 3% (0.6% on Inferno) LS due to their awesome belts.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby aureon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 am

Thing is, for using String of Ears, you lose out:
~50 all res
~50 specific res
~50 vit
and other random stats.
even if you're hellah high on resists (i'm at nearly 1400 now), it's hardly worth it, since at this point, it's not melee damage having a shot at killing you.
At lower resist values, that 20% is much less efficient.
aureon

Postby Epimer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 am

So after my woes from a few pages ago, I feel like I'm back on track with my WD.

I've followed this guy's advice with a few minor tweaks and it's let me do my quickest and easiest 5 NV stack Butcher farm yet. I have high hopes for it holding up in Act II as well.

Basically it's a Dire Bats/Vision Quest build. I hated VQ builds but because you'll use Spirit Walk/Siphon all the time, plus Unbreakable Grasp for the slow, you're already at 3 out of the 4 abilities you need on cooldown already. The fourth is either a CC ability (he uses Horrify, I use Hex) or a short term damage buff like Big Bad Voodoo with Slam Dance.

It's not a build I would have come up with myself through experimentation, not least because it uses Pierce the Veil with a high mana cost primary damage ability. But it works. I use Hex over Horrify because of the heal from Hedge Magic; I'm not sure what the LOH coefficient of Dire Bats is but it certainly feels very, very low. I'm not sure that Languish is the best rune for Soul Harvest but I guess it's additional safety for an ability I didn't think would be usable in Inferno.

The other big help is that gear has come down in price since I was having trouble. I can get 100+ Int items for comfortably less than 50k for each slot, with mana regen on weapon, helm and off-hand to support the above build and some crit. I spent maybe 200k on gear this morning and my stats are now:

- 26k damage (with 20% from Pierce the Veil already included)
- 14.5% crit chance
- +77% crit damage
- 833 max mana with 49 mana regen per second
- 20k health, 49% damage reduction (resists around 200)

With even a 3 stack of Soul Harvest, Act I Champion packs just melt. I think I'm now in a comfortable position to start work an Act II and get those stats up some more.

Also, I frickin' love Dire Bats and am very happy to have a build which uses them and works well. I've missed them.
Epimer

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 am

Amused that now with my Monk at lvl 40, I have 2M gold mainly from flipping items in the AH..

At some point I'll spend all I have on one lvl63 max item, sell it on the RMAH, and call it a day.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Gab » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 am

gtechman wrote:This video helped me a lot for farming gear in Inferno. I can do a quick Act 1 run and get tons of more rares than just from a Butcher run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0r2EzZDngQ

Not bad. Just got around to trying this out and am averaging about 1 rare/minute as a decently geared melee Wizard wearing a 219% MF set.

Not really sure, looking for some opinions, would it be better to be clearing Act III with virtually no MF at a much slower pace/higher mortality rate vs obliterating Act I with 219% MF. It really seems MF Act I is a better bet but I only recently cleared Act III so again not really sure.
Gab

Postby djlar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 am

Wow and I thoght my DH's crit damage @ 245% was a bit low.. hehe..

I'm seeing constant 120K crits now...

Did a full Act 1 run, got a couple of upgrades and a sellable item for 500K (that sold almost immediatly I should have placed it at 1M LOL)
djlar

Postby aureon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 pm

halabar wrote:Amused that now with my Monk at lvl 40, I have 2M gold mainly from flipping items in the AH..

At some point I'll spend all I have on one lvl63 max item, sell it on the RMAH, and call it a day.

Sorry, but at the current prices, 2M is about 3€.
Anything not made in inferno is peanuts, basically.
aureon

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

aureon wrote:
halabar wrote:Amused that now with my Monk at lvl 40, I have 2M gold mainly from flipping items in the AH..

Hmm.. then I made out really well with the $11 that I made selling low-level (20-40) stuff sofar.

On the other hand, the market is probably getting more saturated, and I haven't sold anything in a week or so.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby sahiel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 pm

aureon wrote:

Thank goodness for the US RMAH then! I've been selling numerous items that sit in the 250k-500k range for $5+ each, some under 1 mil have gone for over $15, not crazy money but enough to make the game free effectively.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm

sahiel wrote:
aureon wrote:

Thank goodness for the US RMAH then! I've been selling numerous items that sit in the 250k-500k range for $5+ each, some under 1 mil have gone for over $15, not crazy money but enough to make the game free effectively.

Do you find that there's a consistent "exchange rate" between the Gold and RM AH, or are there certain items that fetch more on the RMAH? As in, does a 1m item sell for about $10 regardless of what it is, or do people get excited to buy a weapon upgrade, and so spend $15 on a 1m crossbow, whereas a 1m chest piece would be lucky to sell for $2?
rodos

Postby aureon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 am

O_o i'm struggling to sell 4m items for 10€ atm.
I wanna play on your servers >_>
aureon

Postby lythac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 am

Flipped a weapon bought for 20k for 500k.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby sahiel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:51 am

rodos wrote:Do you find that there's a consistent "exchange rate" between the Gold and RM AH, or are there certain items that fetch more on the RMAH? As in, does a 1m item sell for about $10 regardless of what it is, or do people get excited to buy a weapon upgrade, and so spend $15 on a 1m crossbow, whereas a 1m chest piece would be lucky to sell for $2?

There really seems little rhyme or reason to a lot of it, some obviously great items sell well, but so do some things I think are pretty crappy, other times an amazing item just won't sell... it's almost impossible to gauge and it seems to change every few days which ends up making it a lottery just to see if you priced your item at the right level for that day. =/
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games