Remove Advertisements

pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space

Postby Tandors » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 pm

When the revamped character creator came out, all players had to remake their portaits so when you log in, your portrait will be black and it will prompt you to remake it before you actually enter the game.
Tandors

Postby Xenix » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Bah - that portrait was the most entertaining part of playing the character. Makes me sad that I'd have to re-download the game to show him off, if it's even possible to make that portrait again. -.-
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been running L3s in the evenings out of Diaderi, anyone who wants is welcome to tag along for isk and fleet experience! (Just as long as you're not in a rookie ship!)
Invisusira

Postby alayire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 am

regarding mining.
there is a technique called "jet can mining". basically you don't need allot of cargo space, just enough to hold 1 or 2 mining cycles of your mining lasers/strippers. you just jettison it. it will create a cargo can close to your ship. open it. I don't remember how much exactly it can hold, but allot more then your cargo can, that's for sure. every cycle or so, just drag and drop your ore from the cargo into the cargo container. Miners that use strip miners use an timer with allarm set to 1 minute, exactly how much it takes for the strip miner cycle. if your container gets full, jettison another. remember to bookmark your container.

then you take an industrial ship, you know those big fat slow monsters that can haul big loads fitted with cargo extenders and warp to your bookmarked containers. fill your cargo, go drop it in the station. this is much much faster then hauling the ore with your miner. not to mention you can have someone with an indy come haul your ore so you can mine some more. usually people do this by themselves with multiple accounts.

the real danger here is however that the jettisoned cargo can be accessed by anyone. they will be flagged so you can shoot them, but usually that's what they want. so that means people can steal your ore and there is little you can do about it.
also there is the problem of warping into a gated mission space, if you are mining in one. warping in a mission space bookmark will take you to the first gate so your indy won't have an easy access to your cans. however, you can mine till you finish the ore, bookmark all your can packs, return the mission so the instance "closes", then you can warp to your bookmarks.

this is also a valuable trick to do with your salvager. I used the Caldary destroyer to salvage (because i had the skills and because it has loads of CPU for a destroyer and more importantly 8 high slots), fitted with some tractor beams and salvagers, AB and a medium batery i think. I would jet a can, tractor it with me everywhere inside a pocket and fill it with both the loot and salvage, bookmark it when i would finish and go to the next pocket. you can also drop the loot from a wreck directly into the can without moving it into your cargo. then i would return the mission, get my indy out and warp to each bookmark and collect the loot and salvage.
alayire

Postby aureon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 am

Oh, so someone here was playing that :V
I started in about a year ago, and i'm a MASSIVE carebear.
I think i'll have a supercarrier before i actually set foot in any real pvp, if i keep going that way.
Anyone that was midly interested in wow's economy, take a look at trading/industry in EVE. It's mind-blowing. Damn mind-blowing.
You can do actual import/export, have proper manufacturing ventures, ones which can't be ruined by a single guy selling below costs.
PI, both extracting (useful only in 0.0/wh, to tell the truth) and processing (1 jump from Jita works better) can be entertaining too, it's like mantaining a factory.
It's true that massive fights are a lagfest (Or a supercarrier fleet hotdrop), but CCP is working full time on that, you can have about 800v800 fights laglessy now on a reinforced node, and Time Dilation is gonna come in pretty soon. (Not blizzard's soon, but not real world soon either)
Mining is mainly only worth it with with Orca support, to be honest: Jetcanning gets old already. I run 4 accs, and i often mike with 2-3 hulks/mackinaws and an orca while watching films or stuff on the other screen.

Multiple accounts, especially if you can afford to PLEX them, are a blessing: You can train more stuff, and you can multibox. Not on macs, but multiboxing makes for a much more entertaining (and rewarding) missioning, to say one: Single-ship missioning is pretty boring, but triple-shipping and having to shoot, reposition, check drones, salvage all at the same time is quite entertaining.
I appreciate that game beyond any other mainly due to its cash focus: your chance of winning, be it pve or pvp, depends largely on the amount of cash you're willing to risk.

If you want to make ISK to fund losing ships in lowsec, i HIGHLY reccomend trading. Come to me (AureoLion) for some more specific tips (you can find plenty around) or for some zero-interest loans (proven i have liquidity.. i tend to have 90%+ of my isk tied up in various things) to get you some seed money.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Dapaladin, Tev and I teamed up to run some more missions tonight; I used the opportunity to take some internet spaceship pictures.

Invisusira

Postby sahiel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Either i'm doing something terribly, terribly wrong (entirely possible) or some of these 'tutorial' missions are insane, trying to finish mission 10 in the Cash flow for capsuleers chain (the 'combat' missions). I get to the final room and it has 3 or 4 enemy ships mostly with missiles and a stasis web tower, between them all I barely last long enough to get a target lock, lost two ships so far so i'm sitting around waiting on skills to train... =/
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Torakka » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:55 am

Well, apparently this thread washed me with too much nostalgia to not try EVE again. I played EVE originally when it was just launched until after a year or so quit for WoW. It seems my original account is lost to me thanks to having forgotten both password and account name and also no longer having access to e-mail address I used back then. So, no original 'Torakka' for me then, instead my character is called 'Alya Mist'.

Sahiel, yeah that mission was pretty hard compared to the rest in that chain. When I first warped there I tried to take that stasis-tower out first, but it had too much HP for that. Then I switched targets to those couple of normal rats and nuked them down before having to warp away. While returning to that last combat area I used armour repairers and shield booster to fix my ship. (Why I had both installed? Firstly, I couldn't really fit much else at that point and secondly, my capacitor and its recharge rate were too little to use either one continuously in combat, so I thought it would be better to at least have full shield and armour before combat starts.) When I arrived to that last battle second time I nuked that stasis-tower some more, but still couldn't kill it before being forced to retreat. Not big deal though, since it didn't seems to repair its armour and shield recharge-rate was pretty low too. On the third try I finally managed to blow that thing up and then proceeded to nuke that named NPC in his pod: mission completed. At that point I could have just went to turn that mission in, but that "boss" ship had annoyed me too much to not kill it too, so I spent couple of minutes more dogfighting it.

Also, skill queue and "warp within 0 km" are definitely features which I would have liked to have from start.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 am

sahiel wrote:Either i'm doing something terribly, terribly wrong (entirely possible) or some of these 'tutorial' missions are insane, trying to finish mission 10 in the Cash flow for capsuleers chain (the 'combat' missions). I get to the final room and it has 3 or 4 enemy ships mostly with missiles and a stasis web tower, between them all I barely last long enough to get a target lock, lost two ships so far so i'm sitting around waiting on skills to train... =/

Aw that sucks. Yeah, that mission was defly one of the harder ones; pretty sure I had to buy a better gun and get some new equipment to finish it. Some suggestions:
1) Buy a better gun, especially if you're still using the Civilian one. Each faction's ships has bonuses to certain gun types and each gun type has a close range variant that does more dps and a long range variant that... has a longer range. Gallente and Caldari use hybrid turrets; blasters are close range (Light Electron Blaster/Light Ion Blaster) and railguns are long range (125mm Railgun/150mm Railgun). Minmitar use projectile turrets; autocannons are close range (125mm Gatling AutoCannon/150mm Light AutoCannon) and Artillery Cannons are long range (250mm Light Artillery Cannon/280mm Howitzer Artillery). Amarr use lasers; Pulse Lasers are close range (Dual Light Pulse Laser/Medium Pulse Laser) Beam Lasers are long range (Dual Light Beam Laser/Medium Beam Laser).
2) Get a repair unit (repper) if you don't have one; Small Shield Booster if you're in a Minmitar or Caldari ship, Small Armor Repairer if you're Amarr or Gallente.
3) Take out the statsis tower ASAP, but if that's not working, improvise. As Torakka said, picking off ships one by one and then warping out can work just as well.
3) This is useful for the rest of your EVE life - use "align to." If you're in a situation where you think your ship is at risk, pick, well, anything - planet, stargate, asteroid belt, station, whatever you want - and right click -> align to. (I have a tab in my overview that shows only stations and stargates to help with this.) Now your ship will be facing the right direction and going the right speed, so if you're starting to take too much damage, you can just warp to that place instantly without having to align. Right click -> warp to (or just having the celestial object selected and then clicking the warp to button) will instantly warp you out of harm's way.

Let me know if you're still having problems with the mission and I'll come help you out. Fear not, it's not just you! I lost a couple frigates doing the training missions, too. Fortunately, they like to keep giving you more over the course of the missions. :)
Invisusira

Postby Tev » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:59 am

If you complete the chain of quests that are oriented around combat (there are 2 chains I think, but 1 is all combat, the other is some combat, some other stuff) you should be rewarded with an upgraded combat frigate, makes all the training missions involving combat a joke (I was fortunate enough to have completed this one first).

Also, as far as equipping your ship goes, stick with long range weapons unless you have a *REALLY* fast ship, otherwise you'll likely take heavy damage before you can get close enough to lay on the pain. If things get really bad for you, remember, you can equip 2 armor/shield regen units to double the healing, and my motto is if I fall below half armor, I start to haul ass outta there.
Tev

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 am

This topic has got me intrigued, even though I know this is the kind of game I'd be terrible at...
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 am

Therein lies the beauty of buddy invites; gives you almost a month to play around in the world for free and see if it's your thing or not. PM me your email if you want to try it out!
Invisusira

Postby sahiel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the advice! Problem solved :)

Finally trained up enough to use the Merlin I had and outfitted it with some 150mm railguns and foxfire rockets... mission went from "amgukillme!" to "lolurdead!". Amazing how much difference it makes to go from 3km range weapons to 12km >.<
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Torias » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Every time I read about EVE I'm mesmerized by the concept and just desperate to play. I just can't justify it though, I don't have the money nor time to play and I get bored too quickly without my friends with me so I've gone through two (maybe even three?) trial accounts by now. Pity. :(
Torias

Postby aureon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 am

Currently moving an orca, two hulks, and four battleships in a C2 WH.
If it all explodes somewhat soon, i'm down nearly 2bil :P
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games