pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 pm

I updated the OP with a bunch of new useful information about core skills and a bunch of pictures of Nyanmaller (which is important), go look.

Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 am

Shit son, I'm going to need all 21 days to get through this learning curve. D:
Levantine

Postby alayire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 am

Actuall I enjoy guns. Just look at weapon the info and note the range. Starter guns have low range, like 500m for a civilian weapon and 1000m for a basic electron gun 1. Some weapons have ranged more like 6000m. Just note the range falloff and don't activate the gun till you are clsoe. There is an option to try and maintain range at 500m, although this works best if your ship has better speed/agility than your opponent. Also don't run out of ammo, reload in dock or keep spares in your cargo hold :)
As I have mentioned gunnery and guns in general are much more fun.
however for people that just start out it's a world of pain when you do advance a bit. let me illustrate:
any gun system has 2 subtypes:
- a short(er) range, fast firing, fast tracking, more damage overall subsystem(pulse for ammar laser, auto cannons for minmatar and blasters for gallente hybrids).
- a long range, slower rate of fire, slower tracking, less overall damage subsystem(beam, arty and rails).

ok so if you look at them you'd normally be thinking .. why on earth would anyone pick long range??? less damage and less tracking. 2 solid reasons:
-for one, you want to be at a safe distance from your enemies, not too far off so you don't have to travel for hours in case you want to loot the wrecks or even shoot the npc's, but at the same time not too close so they don't swarm you. also (and this is quite important) most missions have multiple rooms with multiple packs of enemies. the idea is to usually engage one pack at a time or atleast limit the number of npc's firing at you because trust me .. having all enemies in a room firing at you is a bad idea.
- and second: npc also have this short range long range classification. this means short range npc's deal more damage(bruisers). starting from afar and killing them before they get to you or at least diminishing their numbers is what you should be aiming for. but wait there is more, the ranged npc's usually like to keep their optimal distance as well, witch usually is higher then your optimal distance(if you are fitted with short range) so that usually translates into them spreading out and you constantly chasing them. this can lead into hazardous situations with them pulling you into more npcs then you can handle(worst case) but most annoying would be spending lots of time wasted chasing them down without dealing damage(hence less overall damage).

edit: I wrote this starting from something the totally forgot my point. starting with harder lvl2 missions and continuing from there on, long range weapons become a necessity because of the tank aspects. however long range guns have big to insurmountable issues in dealing with targets that get too close. it takes mission experience and info in learning how to deal with this, also practice and good understanding of gunnery shooting mechanics.

and this is just the tip of the iceberg. you won't get to see these refinements in mission play until you get to cruiser level, but they are there.
I can make a more detailed post about missiles if you like, just to gouge the differences.
Last edited by alayire on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
alayire

Postby RedAces » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 am

Always remember, if you're facing a fair fight in EVE, you did something horribly wrong !
RedAces

Postby cakeftw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:02 am

So im back on eve now in my spare time, you'll see me in the maintankadin channel as lunstra, ive got quite a decent level of ship, so hit me up if you've got any questions about the caldari and i'll do my best to answer, or if you need a hand on a tough mission i'll come help if im not too busy
cakeftw

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 am

Resistance is futile. - John Sheridan
Invisusira

Postby cakeftw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 am

Fuck my memory and fuck ships that can warp scram >.>
cakeftw

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 am

That does not sound like a good time, what happened?

Here, have a battleship ramming afk miners set to Jaws music to lighten your mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHdMHuUH ... age#t=499s
Invisusira

Postby cakeftw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 am

I sort of forgot to restock on missiles, so i ran out halfway through a mission, with ONE fucking warp scramming frigate on me and one webber, my 1billion isk tengu slowly died and though i can afford to replace it, i just cannot be arsed :(
cakeftw

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Ouch. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me, but with a far, far less valuable setup than a 1b T3 cruiser. That sucks, man.
Invisusira

Postby crazyharry » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 am

cakeftw wrote:I sort of forgot to restock on missiles, so i ran out halfway through a mission, with ONE fucking warp scramming frigate on me and one webber, my 1billion isk tengu slowly died and though i can afford to replace it, i just cannot be arsed :(

Hopefully they have fixed it by now but last time I quit EVE they had just changed the jamming mechanics and accepting a Guristas mission was practically a guaranteed ship loss. I was flying a ship I couldn't afford to lose when I found this out.

Great game overall, I just dont like the way that no matter what I do, I will never catch up with the people who started before me. A bit silly as I have taken out older players while YAAARing in a rifter with 24hrs relevant training, but it just bugs me.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Invisusira » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Honestly, that's part of the point that appeals to me. The fact that I'm a noob, and no matter what I do, yeah; at some point I'll be competitive with the veterans with SOME stufff. But with everything? No. There will always be something that the players that have been around longer than me will be better at.
Invisusira

Postby Delphineas » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 pm

i was in a pvp training corp, alliance was BS or STAY HOME.

2 months in, lost 1st raven in a fucking level 3, didn't notice the scramer, kept getting jammed.
They need to tweak drones. The bullshit of having them do nothing unless they are deployed BEFORE you start getting shot is jut stupid.
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 am

What do you mean? I've never had problem deploying drones in combat.
Invisusira

Postby Tandors » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am

Scramblers are really stupid but I still like them. They add some risk to doing missions. Without them its just warp in, blow up some stuff, warp out, heal up, and repeat. Jammers on the other hand are the most retarded thing ever. I was doing a mission where I just had 3 cruisers left and I was in a t3 cruiser. It took 45 minutes to complete something that should have taken 5.
Tandors

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games