Remove Advertisements

pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:32 pm

So... the Galaxy class, Imperial Star Destroyer, DSN, etc. are there for reference, or are they actually playable ships?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Reference

I would totally fly a star destroyer if I could.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I was about ready to ask for an invite... as if this thread hasn't slowly been drawing me into the game anyway :lol:
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Tev » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Forgot the comparison to the death star!
Tev

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 pm

so uh

apparently the ROTJ death star is fucking massive.

Invisusira

Postby Delphineas » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 am

Bigger is better?
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: FF xiv once it's up.
Delphineas

Postby Dantriges » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:16 am

Yes he is. Don´t know why, though. The first one was perfectly capable of destroying a planet. Ah well, think some of the fans compared it in relation to other objects. Sci FI fans put more effort into that than theorycrafters in finding rotations.

Would beinteresting to compare it to the Independance Day ships. Some physicist stated that these ships never needed weapons to destroy cities, they could have done it via air pressure or so. Don´t know the exact statement, I´ve heard it years ago and could misremember. But it was about that their sheer size is already desctructive.
Dantriges

Postby Tev » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 am

I never realized that there was a size difference between the 2, I guess I always assumed the second was going to be like the first, just with, you know, grates over the exhaust ports.

Sidius musta had shitty engineers. "So yeah, they blew up the last one by flying a craft hat was too small for our defenses to hit and dropped a bomb perfectly down an exhaust port. This time were making it even bigger with exhaust port big enough to fly a ship into, that should solve the problem". Ok, admittedly I don't think they were technically exhaust ports in the RotJ, but it still begs the question, wtf were they there.
Tev

Postby aureon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 am

it's still not as big as moon, though!
our moon has a 400k km diameter.
aureon

Postby Treck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:45 am

400k km?
More like 4k km (earth has 13k km ish)
400k km is about the distance between the moon and earth.

If invis pic is scaled right, the Deathstar mark 2 should be about 600 kilometers in diameter.
It still takes 6-7 Deathstars lined up to meassure the size of our moon tho.

Also in the movies they say its a "small moon", but even then its barely half as big as the smaller moons (worth mentioning) in the solar system.
Treck

Postby Dantriges » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 am

IIRC they were flying through the holes in the Deathstar, where construction was still going on.

Fully functional battlestation meant, it could fire its Laser, the gaping holes were supposed to be covered by the shield. sounds a bit dumb that they didn´t cover the way but well with Darth vader and Sidious breathing on your neck to get the Laser working, the construction chief made some compromises. And well perhaps he didn´t have much choice anyways but to work in a certain manner, like finishing some sectors first to house the construction workers and crew to increase workspeed.

In the end, that thing wasn´t finished so yeah it had some gaping holes in it but the project leader probably never thought that he had to activate that thing before it´s fully assembled.

So they had no time to close the gaps and they had them because there was still construction going on. Perhaps they hadn´t built in the propusion system. It seemed to me that the Deathstar was pretty stationary. Would explain why there were holes down to the core because well, these holes were supposed to be filled with machinery linked to the core.

And well, no idea if they could just bolt some armor plates there. Probably not Considering SW firepower, a halfassed rushjob would result in a protection comparable to tinfoil. Or well, how do you cover such a big hole in no time.

So the stuid thing Sidious did, was sitting in a half finished capital ship dependant on an external source for its protection.

Ok, the real reason for the holes were so the Millenium Falcon could fly through, but well we want to keep the suspension of disbelief. :wink:
Dantriges

Postby Invisusira » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:15 am

Honestly, looking at how massive the second Death Star is, I'm not surprised the Falcon was able to fly through it... considering it's about half the size of a 747.
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 am

i actually copypasta'd the first thing from wikipedia, which as referring to the ORBITAL stats.
its diameter is, indeed, about 3500 km.
aureon

Postby Arnock » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they flew through the construction zones in the rotj death star, the idea was to trick the rebels into thinking that it was unfinished and completely defenseless until

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Leuthas » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Well it's official, may as well add me to the list of EVE players.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games