pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 am

But... but... I can't bring myself to get rid of the little red laser sight, it's like a harbinger of doom to whoever I've got targeted!

kinda like the laser sight on the shotgun in Quake 3
Invisusira

Postby Tev » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 am

That has to make you wonder what the viability of this sort of fitting would be in PVP, considering you have the typical advantages of a smaller ship (speed, manuverability of coarse depending on model) and fitting a high powered long range weapon.

I can only imagine ratting in that setup... If you could fit an AB or MWD on there, you could snipe whole colonies of stuff at the cruiser level of play.
Tev

Postby aureon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 pm

There' HACs for that.
And heavy missile drakes.
And arty hurricanes.
Sadly, one, unbonused, large gun won't make a dent in any cruiser.
T2 guns and Aurora will serve you nicely, to do a real fit.
Code: Select all
[Maller, New Setup 1]
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Tracking Enhancer II

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range
10MN MicroWarpdrive II
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range

Heavy Beam Laser II, Aurora M
[empty high slot]

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Something like that.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:57 pm

I was going to just say "you're taking this way too seriously," but that's actually a pretty interesting fit. One that I would try out if I had the skillpoints. Unfortunately, that fitting requires pretty much everything at V to run (unless you swap the MWD out), not to mention tech 2 lasers (which I won't have for a couple months yet).

\o/
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah, noticed that. Needs AWU at IV. if MWD is out, fit makes no sense. T2 guns are needed, since Aurora is the only way to make it decent.
Also, just use a damn zealot at this point =p
The other parts of the fit are changeable, but t2 guns are needed. Medium T2 guns aren't that long to train, however. The mess is large T2's.

Also, i'm an EFT warrior. I take any chance i can to EFT shit up. I've got graphics for basically every mission ship against every possible mission target.
PVP common fits cooming soon :D
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Zealot is like the ultimate snipeboat, and will be the first T2 cruiser I'll be training for.
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Too bad that the Legion sucks that much, tbh. T3s are pretty cool, but they're basically limited to tengu and loki, or to fleetboosting.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the Legion vs the other T3s, especially since it looks so much cooler than them. But you better believe I won't be cross-training cruisers V anytime soon, lol. There's actually a nice HAM Legion setup, and I've been toying with a stealth recon setup.

Your snipe-maller fit, btw, fits just fine on a Nomen with my skillpoints, and with grid to spare. My T2 medium guns will be training while we're at Blizzcon; I'll have to give this a shot when we get back.

Code: Select all
[Omen Navy Issue, Omen Navy Issue Sniper]

[Empty High slot]

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range
10MN MicroWarpdrive II
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range

Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Tracking Enhancer II

Invisusira

Postby alayire » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 am

just to point something out, the 4'th HeatSink is more or less a wasted slot. All damage multiplier modules have diminishing returns that make the 4'th module numbers increase abysmally small. there is an increase sure but it's so damn small it's not worth it. you'd be better off adding another module like a cap power relay -> more cap recharge or a nano for better agility, PDU for some more power and cap or whatever you seem fit.

also remember that pulse have very good range for a "close combat weapon system" and as such can dish out some heavy firepower with less HeatSinks and with decent ranges, but then you'd need a runnable tank setup. You might as well learn to deal with such set-ups because come BS's and Lvl4 missions those are the general setups you will use. getting used to how much your tank can handle is something that might take a bit to adjust to/learn.

edit: meh just remembered the old days of the Gankageddon. We still refer to the Armageddon as the Ganka, because of those past days where the sight of one lone golden hull made Raven pilots shiver. 7 heavy pulses with around 2 seconds ROF, full undiminished HitSinks on lowslots melted Ravens under 20 seconds.
alayire

Postby aureon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 am

i had 3 heat sinks on my fit, in fact :D
Still:
1^ 100%
2^ 87%
3^ 57%
4^ 28%
5^ 10%
6^+ 3%

On PVE fits, sometimes it makes sense to fit even 5 damage mods, since you've already got enough tank.
For PVP fits, going past 3 is pretty unusual.
Invis, if you're an amarr fanboy, i'd get a look at AWU as soon as possible. to V isn't your cup of tea (yet, you'll need it for the Paladin), but at IV isn't too long to train (7-8d for WU V, and another 3-4 for AWU IV), and it unlocks some pretty cool fits.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:49 am

Yeah, the 4th heat sink would probably get swapped out for a DC; I'd never go past 4. 3 is usually my max, but with the intentions of that particular setup the 4th still provided a decent enough dps boost to be at least somewhat viable.

AWU IV will be getting trained up with T2 medium lasers at the end of next month :3
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:13 am

PVE is different, tbh. There's situations where you don't really need any more tank/speed, and all you need is FIREPOWER.
Even small quantities of it.
With AWU IV, you can fit amarr ships much better. It's not really needed for minnie/caldari, but gallente/amarr depend on it.
aureon

Postby Jheherrin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 am

I really need to get off my arse and do something in eve again.

I currently play a few days a month on 2 accounts with 2 others inactive.
I have been playing since beta 4 or 5 (5-6 months before it went live) and have tried most things.
Was with TTI for the first few years, but left to join Shinra and Curse Alliance and then Lotka Volterra.
When Shinra fell apart I sort of lost most of my enthusiasm.

Iirc I have a research/manufacturing char on about 90mil skill points, and 2 combat charachters at somewhere around 70mil, and a 3rd combat at about 55mil.

I managed to get lucky with tech 2 bpo's when they were distributed via lottery, and between me and a corp mate we have about 20 each, so cash is something that never really worries me. Takes a few weeks to get the manufacturing machine going properly again, but basically it is a licence to print money.

Finding a group from here that plays eve may be enough to rekindle the spark.
Moonglade EU - Catalyst : Jheherrin,Glowlimn,Caamora
Aggramar EU - The Phoenix Reborn : Kasreyn,Gossamer
Jheherrin

Postby Gracerath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:55 pm

So I got through all the noobie tutorials and I'm doing the Sisters of EVE missions. I'm not really sure what to do from there. I was just wandering around that GoonSwarm site looking at various ships and found one I thought sounded pretty neat. I just got all the skills I needed for the various recommended certificates for the particular ship so now I just need to train them to the appropriate levels. Then I need to make the cash to actually buy one :) They looked pretty affordable on the market, fortunately.

I'm not sure if I want to bother joining a corporation. I don't really know how long I'll be staying with the game. I'm still having fun with it for the most part just cause it is something "new" but I know I'll be moving on to other stuff eventually.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Sometimes being in the right crop can drastically improve your game experience. There were a lot of corps advertising and recruiting in the Sisters of Eve mission areas when I went through it, that's how I ended up in the one I'm in now.

Once you finish the Sisters arc, you'll probably want to try and do missions for the same NPC corp. That way, you'll build up rep with them and be able to do better missions with higher payouts.

For people confused by corps -
Corporation = Guild. That's it. Instead of having separate "factions" and "guilds" for NPCs and players (respectively) like wow has, everything is just called a corp. When you first start the game, you'll be in an NPC corp.
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's something I haven't even looked into at all: Planetary interaction. Building stuff on planets to extract resources, basically. CCP has a really nice tutorial on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnObxB9XCs
Looks interesting, especially if you're looking for a less combat-centric game path.
Invisusira

Postby Tandors » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Unless you are in low to null sec, PI really isn't too profitable. Once you get to level 4's, the time it takes to actually manage the PI in high sec would be better spent missioning.
Tandors

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Protip: if you're looking for something to do and have a hauler sitting around, use EVE-Central to dig up some trade routes. Obviously, the more money you can spend, the more money you can make - but for example here's me putzing around in my Bestower (read from bottom up):
You can see the part where I took a 600k kick to the nuts because I miscalculated a buy order, but overall I made 17m from just flying around for an hour.

edit: oh, and yeah, in case you were looking for that last reason to try EVE out - yes, "exotic dancers" really are a commodity you can buy and sell.
party in the cargo hold
Invisusira

Postby Tev » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am

One thing that comes up that I've researched a bit but I'm hoping I can get more information on; Racial bonuses. Now I took Gallente for instance, supposedly our ships are great close range fighters in general (blaster preference with ship bonuses). However my playstyle prefers to play a ranged approach, Rail Guns > Blasters for me. Is there a reason I couldn'tshouldn't use the damage/tracking speed bonuses typical on gallente fighters on rail guns, or would I be better off training up Caldari ships for their range bonuses?

Second question is other than the training speed for their racial class of ships, are there any inherant bonuses/penalties to using another races ships?

Finally, I think the following is accurate, but any additions as a general overview of the racial ships?

Amarr - No ammo reload, EM/Thermal damage choices
Caldari - Pref Rails, can use Blasters (Therm/Kinetic damage), Missiles (Explosive/Thermal/not sure what else damage)
Gallente - Pref Blasters, can use Rails (Therm/Kinetic), Drones
Minmatar - Ammo for every occasion, not sure what else they spec in.

I'm mainly just trying to decide after playing for a bit which route I would prefer. I'm thinking using rails for long range with speed so I can 'kite' large groups if I'm alone, using drones for anything that gets close. Figure I'd ask the experts before I start training for any kind of cruiser before I invest too heavily on a track I may not like :)
Tev

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 am

While a race's ships in general have a theme, it's a lot less about the race and more about the specific ship you're looking at.

There is no bonus/penalty to training ships outside of your race.

Racial themes (and there are always exceptions to these, be sure to check out individual ships for their bonuses):
Amarr - Lasers. High DPS, limited damage types (EM/Thermal). No ammo reloading, crystals modify laser range and power. Many ships have bonuses to laser damge and range, as well as capacitor bonuses. Ships are heavily armored and tank with their armor.
Caldari - Missiles and Electronic Warfare. Easiest weapon system to learn. Missiles for all damage types. Many ships have bonuses to missile damage, speed and rage, as well as debuffing-type bonuses to enemy ships. Ships tank with their shields.
Gallente - Hybrids and Drones. Midway point in damage/cap/ammo/etc. Many ships have bonuses to hybrid weapon damage and range, as well as bonuses to drones. Railguns (long range hybrids) have some of the longest ranges in the game. Kinetic/Thermal damage. Ships tank with their armor.
Minmatar - Projectile weapons. Ammo for all types of damage. Very bursty DPS. Ships are very fast and weaker than the other races. Ships tank with their shields (or their speed).
Invisusira

Postby Kelaan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 am

One thing I always liked was the level of detailed explanations the EVE community has explaining the various types of tanking (shield vs armor vs speed). Very interesting the degree to which you can specialize.

My question is re: corps. Since there's a single shard, how do you reconcile the Big Corps (Goon Fleet, etc)? Are you pretty much fucked if you aren't part of them? Are there places where you can still have effective fun without trespassing in various corp territories?

Also, the map of EVE is ... fucking crazy. Awesome, but I don't know that I'd be able to grok it all. I wish EVE had a free-to-play intro or trial that was less time based and more ... money/rep/quest based? It sometimes takes me a while to get hooked enough,heh ... but then maybe I'm spoiled by age of conan.
Kelaan

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 am

While looking at the sovereignty map can be quite intimidating, you're not at all fucked if you're not in a big widespread corp like Goonswarm or RED.

First, on thing to note - the map actually shows alliances, not corps. Alliances are groups of corps working together, and often contain thousands of members. There's actually even a step above that - a coalition is a group of alliances.

Of course, there's plenty to do in Empire/highsec/NPC owned space. While it's kind of dwarfed by the player-owned space on the map, it's still a very, very large area. But if you're looking to get into some 0.0 combat, it's simply a matter of finding a corp that's part of an alliance. There are tons of them! Even ones that don't own much/any space will still do all sorts of nullsec roams and pvp activities.
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Tandors wrote:Unless you are in low to null sec, PI really isn't too profitable. Once you get to level 4's, the time it takes to actually manage the PI in high sec would be better spent missioning.

I beg to differ.
I make about 1.5b a month with my PI processing setup, handling it takes something like 20min a day.
Was hellah complicated to set up, tho. For something more slackish, just put 4 planets with 2 launchpads and 20 coolant factories 1jump from jita, will need a refuel every two days. And will make.. 12-20m a day, with 4 planets. Best done on an alt. Takes really little to refuel, with only a single good. I run P4 chains and my buy list has 30 items :roll:
aureon

Postby Malthrax » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Invisusira wrote:Image
party in the cargo hold

How can you pass up strippers -AND- cruise missiles?????
Malthrax

Postby aureon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Wait, invis. You hauled 360m of stuff in a t1 indy?!?
That's borderline suicidal.
Btw, just spot the trade routes and then set up the proper orders. You can make some _real_ money that way =p
(As with every game, real money is in trading. Or in abusing end-game stuff, if you're CEO of a technetium-holding corp)
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games