Remove Advertisements

New FFXIV

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: FFXIV New Trailer and Open Beta

Postby Giggitygoo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:08 am

Finally managed to torrent it over night last night, left it installing this morning.

Roll on 5pm :mrgreen:
Shutting the f**k up as of 14/09/2010.
Giggitygoo

Postby Melathys » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:56 am

you get sleepy sitting in the basement with the pretty windows...
Melathys

Postby Giggitygoo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:17 am

Are basments not normally underground? How do you put windows in there?
Giggitygoo

Postby culhag » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 am

Does the copyright note get pasted on every screenshot automatically ? (thats seems annoying)
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 am

culhag wrote:Does the copyright note get pasted on every screenshot automatically ? (thats seems annoying)

Yup, holding down scroll-lock hides the UI and pops that message up instead; print-screen saves a copy. I guess you could hide the UI by moving everything out the wayand take screenshots that way instead if you really cared.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 am

ya i moved around the ui for the first screenshots i took, but you can also crop the pictures if you want and take off that little bit.
Thalia

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 am

Well by the time I got back from DragonCon it seems like they are out of beta signups again. :/
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Melathys » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 am

yea, that little bit at the bottom is harmless enough.

and basements aren't necessarily always entirely underground.

and just keep trying for beta key. guildy got one last night after a day or so of trying to get one.

*edit

and anyone who might want this. the theme song you hear from the opening cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbuto9wfEHE&NR=1
Melathys

Postby Nakama » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:10 am

I finally got it to give me a key, so maybe they've figured out the problems?

What server(s) is everyone on?

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 am

I got a key but I can't figure out where to download the client? Square Enix's online shit is terribly designed
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Chunes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

Sabindeus wrote:I got a key but I can't figure out where to download the client? Square Enix's online shit is terribly designed

Once you get your squeenix account set up (which can take a few tries) then you log into the beta dev site and log in (https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/).

Don't worry if it yells at you about not having a valid account, that's their broken forums that triggers that. Proceed to the main page and hit the download link in the side nav bar like in the image above. That will point you to the downloader.

Heads up though, if the drive containing the my documents folder doesn't have 12gig of space, the installer will fail (even though you don't have to use that drive, it's just a poorly written installer). I had to relocated my my docs folder to a storage drive to actually get the installer to start.

When it comes time to start downloading the game client, you should probably just use your own torrent program to grab the files. Squeenix's p2p program sucks something fierce.
Chunes

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:14 pm

thanks

where do I get the torrent?
Sabindeus

Postby Chunes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

In the users/<username>/my documents/my games/Squeenix/something file path (forgive the inaccuracy, doing it from memory at work) there should be some folders somewhere in there that will house the actual torrent files for the game components you're downloading.

You have to fire up the FFXIV downloader for it to actually fetch the files initially, but as soon as the DL's started for a component (I think there are like 7 in total), you can just find the torrent file and use uTorrent or something to snatch the rest of the file.

This should cut your DL time from like 5 hours down to maybe 1.

When you've finished getting the files, you dump them into the folder where the game elements are stored, the FFXIV launcher will detect the files and "install" them and you're good to go.

Just google FFXIV 94.8 and it will bring this up:

Sage from Zam wrote:1. Open the FFXIV open Beta client, allow it to get to the step where it begins downloading files. This will ensure you have the torrents downloaded on your computer.

2. Open whatever application you use for downloading torrents. If you do not use one already, I would suggest uTorrent ( http://www.utorrent.com ). In Utorrent, File > add torrent. Point Utorrent to the following:
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo

In the metainfo folder you will find files that have the same name as the patch your FFXIV was trying to download. Select these files, and hit open.

3. Utorrent will now begin downloading these files to your computer. Based on your internet connection and security settings this should take less than 5 minutes. By default Utorrent downloads to the "downloads" folder in your documents folder. After it is complete there will be a folder called D96437e6, inside of this folder there will be a folder called patch, and inside the patch folder, there will be the actual patches

4.Copy these files to Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

5. Open FFXIV, it will try to patch again, realize it already has the information, and prompt you to log in.

6. Win.
Chunes

Postby laterna » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:50 am

Cheers on the good advice Chunes, got my EU side download(torrent) on its way now :p

Btw, how heavy is this game really? I breezed through the required shtuff and it says it needs a minimum of 9600nVidia, I'm runnning a 9800GTS (on laptop). Would I be okay to atleast be able to run the game at a reasonable frame rate?

I have a new powerhouse pc in the works, but I'd like to start playing this first :P

edit: I had two torrents downloading, a 4.5giga one finished in under a minute.... hmmm

How many should I normally have? At the moment I have a 4.7giga one downloading normally
laterna

Postby Giggitygoo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:53 am

Hey lat,

Yea there is one big file at 4.5gig or something. The rest of the downloads however are tiny at like 9 meg. They take no time at all.

Once you add those downloads to the right folder run the game again, it will then get the torrent file for the next update it needs which you then get using utorrent.

Just repeat this process until it stops trying to download. (There are 7 or 8 torrents in total I think)

It should run okay at medium settings on your gfx card, although bear in mind that’s the minimum not recommended specs.

Be sure to update your gfx drivers before you play also, many people have reported crashes (myself included) with gfx drivers that are just a few months out of date.
Giggitygoo

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games