Remove Advertisements

Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm

bldavis wrote:imho no, but it should still be reported as a query just because that seem REALLY cheap
(my 28 can by 3 of them at least)

Right. Apparently that's exactly how the Karma vendor happened. Really cheap, listed really cheap, so people bought it. So yea, I'll stand by my initial hunch.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

if that is the case, i agree that it is a bit heavy handed and should have been 24-72 hr bans only

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm

bldavis wrote:if that is the case, i agree that it is a bit heavy handed and should have been 24-72 hr bans only

That's too harsh for me. Item removal and if they have any form of decent back end tracking system profit removal.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:55 pm

They only banned people excessively buying items, I believe. Some people tried to excuse saying they only bought 1 or 2, forgetting that developers can see exactly how many they bought. >_>

I bought a staff that was underpriced, nothing happened to me.

On another note:

I AM BUTTARFREEEE~
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Banning players for the developer's mistakes isn't something I'm keen on.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Flex wrote:Banning players for the developer's mistakes isn't something I'm keen on.

same here, as long as they dont exploit said mistake
1 or 2, sure remove the items
1 or 2 hundred, there is something going on...

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm

bldavis wrote:if that is the case, i agree that it is a bit heavy handed and should have been 24-72 hr bans only

I don't know I think expecting people to second guess something like that is a bit much.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 pm

thats why i say temporary bans for those that bought more than one
if you have looked at weapon costs at all, you should have realized they were low
if not, well losing access to the game for a day and all the extra items you bought will show you

maybe i am just too much of a stickler for rules, but i mean cmon....lvl 60 weapons for less karma than a lvl 1 gets for a heart?
my level 5 ele has over 600 karma already
if they truly were 21karma....i would have gone wtf, why are these so cheap and opened a ticket just to be safe

im not saying perma ban everyone who bought one, i am saying perma ban those that obviously exploited and didnt report it
temp ban those that didnt report it and may have bought a few not knowing
maybe 24 hrs if they did report it after they realized, and 48 or 72 if they didnt report it at all and bought more than just a couple

bldavis

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:52 pm

The true kicker, botters get 3 day bans vs these permabans for something that is ArenaNet's own fault.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Flex wrote:The true kicker, botters get 3 day bans vs these permabans for something that is ArenaNet's own fault.

which is something i do not agree with at all

i say you get caught doing something against ToS and EULA, you get banned
the mass exploiting of a dev fuck up is perma ban imho, but the same goes for botting

if botting only gets you 72hr ban, than make that the same thing for this
after all it is still launch, bug will be found

bldavis

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Flex wrote:The true kicker, botters get 3 day bans vs these permabans for something that is ArenaNet's own fault.

What is the logic in allowing botters to ever play again?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Fridmarr wrote:

What is the logic in allowing botters to ever play again?

In the future they'll be permanent bans, but for now temporary. But if you ere permabanned for buying weapons for the price listed you have to contact support and make your case and hope to get your account reinstated.

bldavis wrote:the mass exploiting of a dev fuck up is perma ban imho, but the same goes for botting

I don't consider buying weapons exploiting. Things I consider exploits are situations such as pathing/clipping issues that allow you to attack without being attacked back or move into areas that you're normally not allowed to go. Buying weapons, no matter the number, that the developers priced wrong doesn't fall under that umbrella for me.
Flex

Postby Gracerath » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm

They weren't just buying weapons. They were then salvaging them to get high end crafting materials that no one should really have access to in those quantities just yet. Or they were taking them and using the mystic forge go combine into incredibly powerful weapons that ... no one should have access to yet. If all of those materials were released into the economy, it would have fucked things up pretty badly.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:09 am

Gracerath wrote:They weren't just buying weapons. They were then salvaging them to get high end crafting materials that no one should really have access to in those quantities just yet. Or they were taking them and using the mystic forge go combine into incredibly powerful weapons that ... no one should have access to yet. If all of those materials were released into the economy, it would have fucked things up pretty badly.

This.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the situation. The problem wasn't that they bought an under-priced weapon or two in good faith (I did that myself, no ban), or maybe even five to get some for their alts - The problem here was (and always is in these situations) exploiting. People who, like Gracerath says, buys in bulk with the intention of getting access to content they're not supposed to access yet. This is something you don't do "accidentally" or "in good faith", when you're buying this much you're very well aware of the worth of the items, and you're PROBABLY smart enough to figure out that this most likely isn't supposed to work that way.

I mean, come on, if you found an item that kills everything (EDIT: For newer WoW people, this item used to instantly kill anything) you wouldn't think it was supposed to be that way and that using it would get no repercussions - similarly, buying (in WoW terms: epic weapons) for basically free should set off a mental alarm.

Intentionally exploiting is and should be bannable. And let's face it, you don't just accidentally buy 50 items. :roll: Of course there's always people claiming they didn't buy more than one or whatever, just like people in WoW try to claim innocence, forgetting that the devs can see exactly what you've been doing.

I'm not saying innocent people don't get caught in these nets from time to time, but if you are ACTUALLY innocent (and not just pretending) - and appeal it - then 99% of the time you get your ban revoked.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Passionario » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 am

Reminds me of an exploit in 2.3 WoW patch, when Shamans could temporarily "buy" resto T6 for free.

Afterwards, people were all like "FFS, it's all Blizzard's fault, they're the one responsible for the bug! How was I supposed to know that buying 6000 epics, disenchanting them into void crystals and selling them all on AH was NOT intended functionality?"
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games