Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby crazyharry » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 am

Sagara wrote:I'm going to buy a copy for my wife then :)

SHe doesn't want to spend stupid hours on an MMO, but still loves video gaming in general. Your feedback + the article on Penny Arcade made me realise it could be a perfect fit...

Be very wary, the most common complaint I have seen re GW2 is people who intend to log on for 10 mins to do one dynamic event/craft a few items and the next thing they know it is the following morning and they are seriously considering calling in sick :)
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby econ21 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 am

I want to create a sword and shield archetype - anyone got an opinion on whether it would be best to go warrior or guardian for that? From the little I've read, it sounds like the warrior would have more damage potential and some ranged capability, but the guardian may be better at supporting others. But I wonder if anyone has any experience of either kind of build?
econ21

Postby Eltiana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:54 am

econ21 wrote:I want to create a sword and shield archetype - anyone got an opinion on whether it would be best to go warrior or guardian for that? From the little I've read, it sounds like the warrior would have more damage potential and some ranged capability, but the guardian may be better at supporting others. But I wonder if anyone has any experience of either kind of build?
While Warrior does lean more towards damage potential/ranged capabilities and Guardians lean more towards support, a lot really depends on how you setup your traits. It's just as easy to kit your warrior up as support or make your Guardian damage orientated if you so desired and it would be perfectly viable. Play around with a build calculater and see if you can come up with something you like would be my advice. To give you an idea, this is currently the build I have planned for my guardian. Mind you I made this all in theory, haven't practically tested it and am likely to change things.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#zcc ... xVxVoaqMRq

Full on support build with some offensive capabilities. Shouts recharge faster and remove conditions, my crit strikes buff me and my allies with might, my crits also grant me vigor which allows me to dodge more, and my dodges heals my allies.
Eltiana

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

crazyharry wrote:

SHe doesn't want to spend stupid hours on an MMO, but still loves video gaming in general. Your feedback + the article on Penny Arcade made me realise it could be a perfect fit...

Be very wary, the most common complaint I have seen re GW2 is people who intend to log on for 10 mins to do one dynamic event/craft a few items and the next thing they know it is the following morning and they are seriously considering calling in sick :)

couldnt sleep the other night, checked guild forums and noticed someone had added their contact info
so logged in and added them

this was about 12:30
next thing i know its 6:30 :shock: :?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Eltiana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm

bldavis wrote:
crazyharry wrote:

couldnt sleep the other night, checked guild forums and noticed someone had added their contact info
so logged in and added them

this was about 12:30
next thing i know its 6:30 :shock: :?

If I didn't have a ridiculous work schedule, I'm sure I'd be doing something rather similar lol. And may be late on the bandwagon, but I'm on Dragonbrand server.
Eltiana

Postby aureon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am

the good part of the WvW it's that it's actually exhausting, so after a few hours you need to rest.
aureon

Postby Arkesh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 am

I picked a baddun. We've got people blatantly exploiting in the guild and the GM is taking a hands off approach, I'm really not overly comfortable with it, nice enough people but I really dislike it when people don't follow the rules. I may stick around a bit and just hope that the abusers get suspended.
Arkesh

Postby Pruke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

I just wish I could figure out once and forall a proper way to spend skill points and traits and what stats are best for my ranger!

This game is a whole lot of fun, I am level 32 now.
Pruke

Postby Pruke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Arkesh wrote:I picked a baddun. We've got people blatantly exploiting in the guild and the GM is taking a hands off approach, I'm really not overly comfortable with it, nice enough people but I really dislike it when people don't follow the rules. I may stick around a bit and just hope that the abusers get suspended.

Sad that people are exploiting, perhaps I am just not aware of how to do it.
Pruke

Postby Arkesh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Thankfully he got permabanned. You can read about it under the exploit header in ArenaNet's post on reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comm ... august_30/

Of course there's another thread full of 13 year olds complaining about getting banned for using something that "was in the game" - I'm getting severe LFG exploit flashbacks.
Arkesh

Postby aureon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh, this is funny as shit.
Basically the whole of Nihilum used this, but the officiers more than anything. Kungen took an hands-off approach.
Now, 90% of nihilum's officiers are PERMAbanned, and a whole lot if 72h banned.

Kungen just declared on a stream with 10k wievers that kripparian deserved that ban, since he's not good at anything else!
aureon

Postby bldavis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 pm

i say if someone bought the bugged items and didnt report it, 24-72 hr ban
buy more then 1 and dont report it, you obviously noticed, or a horrid at clicking, and deserve a permaban from exploiting a bug and not reporting it

what you should have done in that case was report it and ask what they wanted you to do with the item

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Gracerath » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:25 am

I was talking to a friend about the bans today. He's of the mind that they shouldn't have been so heavy handed, especially for a first offense. I'm of the mind that the vast majority of us playing come from other MMO's and know better. Just cause Blizzard took a light approach to how they handled exploiters doesn't mean Anet was going to. I like that it sets the precedent early on. Don't fucking exploit, period. There was also a thread going on about some other bans for people acting like dickheads in game (racists, bigots, etc) and a few people got mistakenly banned while reporting those things. I'll chalk it up to them still working the kinks out of their report system but if it is true, they really should make it easier to determine who said what. (Though I imagine they have chat logs so who knows. Everyone in prison is innocent, etc).

On to the actual game. Made it to level 37 with my Norn warrior. I haven't had the chance to do a dungeon yet. I hear explorable mode is ROUGH and most likely overtuned. I haven't done any WvW yet either. My WvW info window is bugged. I can't see what servers we are against or the score. The last day I got it to work, Yak's Bend was bending the other two servers over pretty badly. It was something along the lines of ~320k to 60K to 50k in the score department. Nuts.

I spent most of the last two days in Lornar's Pass. Man, that is a massive zone. Lots of kick ass stuff there. I joined the Durmand Priory. I've been helping a friend who joined the Order of Whispers out so I have been getting to see that storyline as well. No one I know has joined the Vigil so I probably will on my engineer whenever I decide to level him up.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

when planning out toons for GW, i always said i would play a norn mesmer
i was doubting that while unlocking weapon abilities...until i made a greatsword
holy hell that weapon is fun!
i have a feeling i will be going sword/pistol for close/med range and greatsword for long

oh and i will be joining the vigil on my engineer

so as of right now, my toons are:
charr engineer
norn mesmer
sylvari warrior
human thief
asura elementalist

bldavis

Postby Levantine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:10 am

Greatsword mesmer is so much fucking fun omg. No idea what I'll be using for close range though. I'm thinking maybe sword/torch could be interesting.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games