Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby bldavis » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 pm

nice!

i cant wait for a chance to play around with the character creator
a guildie prepurchased and got a ss of what i had chosen based on a video but its not the same watching a video and being able to flip back and forth between options yourself
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7376
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Gracerath » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:57 pm

I made a human female elementalist to mess around with in some pvp today before work. They have my favorite makeup type ever. The creepy dark eye makeup that runs down their cheeks and dark colored lipstick. Creepy dark makeup is just sexy to me. I have a weird fetish or something.

At any rate, the WvW was a blast. It is everything I wished WAR was for its RvR content but wasn't quite there. We started as a small group out capturing supply points, then we joined the main group attacking some towers. Then we went to another server's lands with another small group that turned into a large group and started taking over towers and supply points there rather than the central battlefield.

Siege equipment is handled very nicely and is VERY important when attacking any of the keeps. If you don't have a battering ram, you'll spend 20 minutes trying to break down the door with regular skills. You also need to have trebuchet's set up along with the arrow guns. They really thin the herd. It is also nice that the equipment actually has a good bit of health and doesn't die in a few short seconds, unlike vehicles in WoW in Isle of Conquest or Strand of the Ancients. They DO go down decently quick if focused but last plenty long against the various AE being tossed down by keep defenders. It also helps to destroy the oil cauldron above (which also has a hefty amount of health) before building a battering ram at the door. God dammit, so fun. Can't wait for the next beta.

I played a warrior, guardian and elementalist. I didn't end up caring much for the guardian but I didn't get a chance to try all their weapons. The warrior was my favorite with the elementalist a close 2nd. A friend reported that a melee ranger was surprisingly fun. He also spent a lot of time playing a mesmer and said that was great too. It is strange coming into a game where every single class feels fun and/or solid mechanics wise and not gimped (at least not yet. A month after live comes out, I'm sure we'll see the typical flock of "X class/ability is OP in Y situation")
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Bunni » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 am

I spent most of my time on the necro and mesmer. I picked them because I figured I would start with something else at launch. I ended up having a lot of fun on both. :D I loved having so much change based on my weapon choice, certain skill sets I didn't like, then I would swap in something else and have a blast. Worlds most perfect mmo? Probably not but it was a heck of a lot of fun and the home server/guesting setup is what I have been hoping for now for ages. Thank goodness for a new mmo where merger and transfer drama will be minimal/non-existent.
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
User avatar
Bunni
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:16 am
Location: Expat in Oslo

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Era » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:10 am

I have three issues with the game so far. In order of annoyance:

1. Overflow.
It just doesn't work if you want to play with friends. What was wrong with the old district system? :( Spent quite some time running in and out of the city portal, trying to end up in the same district. It worked in the end, but it's frustrating to waste time on it.

2. Lord Faren.
I haaate the pretentious douche, and the fact that they make my own character all friendly/flirty with him makes me hate my own character. And that's not good. Anything that makes you dislike your own character is bad - and I think you should be given complete control over the choices your character makes, at least when it comes to things like who you like or not. Especially in an MMO, a genre where the character represents yourself in such a major way.

3. Weapons == Skills.
We're bound to get a situation where you want weapon type X because of it's stats, but weapon type Y because of it's skills. For example, personally I greatly prefer having a staff on my elementalist - in most situations, anyway. What if a scepter with far superior stats drops? I'll have to decide whether I want to improve my stats or keep the skills I enjoy using... Feels a little clunky, especially since it's almost like switching specs. I mean, imagine if you played a Fire mage in WoW and had to swap to Arcane just because you got a higher ilvl weapon - You'd probably be frustrated!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
User avatar
Era
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 am
Location: Norway

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Eltiana » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 am

Era wrote:I have three issues with the game so far. In order of annoyance:

1. Overflow.
It just doesn't work if you want to play with friends. What was wrong with the old district system? :( Spent quite some time running in and out of the city portal, trying to end up in the same district. It worked in the end, but it's frustrating to waste time on it.

2. Lord Faren.
I haaate the pretentious douche, and the fact that they make my own character all friendly/flirty with him makes me hate my own character. And that's not good. Anything that makes you dislike your own character is bad - and I think you should be given complete control over the choices your character makes, at least when it comes to things like who you like or not. Especially in an MMO, a genre where the character represents yourself in such a major way.

3. Weapons == Skills.
We're bound to get a situation where you want weapon type X because of it's stats, but weapon type Y because of it's skills. For example, personally I greatly prefer having a staff on my elementalist - in most situations, anyway. What if a scepter with far superior stats drops? I'll have to decide whether I want to improve my stats or keep the skills I enjoy using... Feels a little clunky, especially since it's almost like switching specs. I mean, imagine if you played a Fire mage in WoW and had to swap to Arcane just because you got a higher ilvl weapon - You'd probably be frustrated!

1. Yeah a lot of people had issue with this. As this is their take on a queue system, I honestly don't see overflow servers being used too much after the initial launch phase. At any rate, I believe they said they were going to try to do something about it

2. I didn't do much of the nobility line, but I know what you mean. Faren was annoying. Don't see this changing considering how far in the game they are, so best you can do is to just pick either being a commoner or street rat instead if you dislike him that much.

3. I know karma vendors will sell you weapons at your level, though they won't necessarily have the exact stats you want, at least it'll be a comparable piece of equipment. I know I personally always just kept the weapon that had the skills I wanted regardless of the stats, the way you play > numbers, at least in my opinion.
User avatar
Eltiana
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Era » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:59 am

Eltiana wrote:3. I know karma vendors will sell you weapons at your level, though they won't necessarily have the exact stats you want, at least it'll be a comparable piece of equipment. I know I personally always just kept the weapon that had the skills I wanted regardless of the stats, the way you play > numbers, at least in my opinion.


Karma vendors have some decent weapons, but you can still get far better ones from drops. I dunno, maybe this'll be less of a problem at end-game, if they have elite vendors that sell good stuff.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
User avatar
Era
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 am
Location: Norway

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Gracerath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 pm

"Far better"? For serious? For what, our 1-30 beta content? :P

If it is anything like GW1 (and we got no reason to think it wont be) optimum stats via gear won't be too terribly difficult to come across, from random drops, karma vendors or dungeon rewards. What will set you apart is not stats but weapon/armor skins. Guild Wars is very much a vanity game and not a stat game. Not only that, but if you find a skin you really like for one sword but the stats from another are more your bag, you'll be able to transfer the stats from that sword to the skin of the other.

It is probably just the min/maxer in all of us from all of our time in WoW but really, this won't even be an issue at all.
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Era » Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 am

Gracerath wrote:"Far better"? For serious? For what, our 1-30 beta content? :P

If it is anything like GW1 (and we got no reason to think it wont be) optimum stats via gear won't be too terribly difficult to come across, from random drops, karma vendors or dungeon rewards. What will set you apart is not stats but weapon/armor skins. Guild Wars is very much a vanity game and not a stat game. Not only that, but if you find a skin you really like for one sword but the stats from another are more your bag, you'll be able to transfer the stats from that sword to the skin of the other.

It is probably just the min/maxer in all of us from all of our time in WoW but really, this won't even be an issue at all.


There was quite a difference between level 25 karma vendors and level 25 green quality items, actually! But yeah, I suppose the min/max panic is just a by-product of WoW, like you say. I do remember that it wasn't an issue in GW1, so hopefully it'll be the same at end-game GW2. Can't wait for the next beta!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
User avatar
Era
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 am
Location: Norway

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby bldavis » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 am

in an interveiw, one of the devs said at max level there will be very little gear upgrades stat wise as they want the focus to be on the story and the events, not an endgame grind for better gear

the wow expirience of hitting level cap and teh game starts isnt GW2, and the reason there is no end game raids is cause all of the big stories and that happen while you are leveling

if something is a MASSIVE upgrade, well i can see this being an issue but you should be able to buy enough from karma vendors that there is never this big of an upgrade for you
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7376
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Era » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I hope so! I've played enough games to not completely trust what a developer says until I see it, though. :P
There was a lot of things ANet wanted to do with GW1 that never happened, so here's hoping that GW2 will be their true chance to shine!

Overall I think it'll be a great game, and I'll enjoy it a lot. :D
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
User avatar
Era
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 am
Location: Norway

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby bldavis » Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 pm

yeah same here

on all parts lol
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7376
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Eltiana wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:And it's beta.

To be honest, I don't really need something revolutionary from the actual game play perspective, few of the games I've played have disappointed in that regard. I'm just hoping for something that is able to hold my interest with my very limited play time. Admittedly that's extremely difficult (though hopefully not impossible) to achieve while also being compelling for folks who can play for hours a day.

I've got a few hours left on the download, then I should have a little bit of time to get my feet wet and size things up a bit.

Come back and tell us what you think. Another opinion never hurts. Personally the game matches my expectations, but I did a fairly good job of keeping up with news and tempering my expectations with the reality of how things would probably work.
Well it's pretty much impossible for me to size up the game from that sort of perspective with the limited time (maybe 5 hours total) I've had with it.

From what I did see it was fun. There are some elements that were unintuitive to me, but overall I think the game play came together nicely. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot on release.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Gracerath » Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Stress test tomorrow, Monday May 14th from 11am-6pm pacific for the pre-purchase folks.

I have to work at 3pm but I'll get a few hours to dink around at least. You can use your old beta character too. I'm guessing they are trying to simulate the average server load with that specific time period. West coast folks probably wont even get much of a chance to play assuming a normal work day (unless you're like me and have non-normal hours)
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby ryan4nayr » Sun May 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Somebody elsewhere had mentioned the odd timing of this stress test might have something to do with a big-name action horror RPG releasing on Tuesday :lol:

Doesn't matter to me, I missed the first beta weekend and it'll be my first time to drink in the game's minutiae. And to think I thought I had terrible luck getting Monday off.

ADDENDUM: First impressions -- it's a really cool game, one I could really get lost in. I didn't appreciate the various server issues (I had the need a game key bug, 95% loading screen bug & unable to find server bug), but the game itself was pretty impressive for a reworked GW1 engine. Action kept me hooked and it "seemed" simple enough that I toyed with the idea of getting a PS3 controller so I can play on the big-screen.
User avatar
ryan4nayr
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Eltiana » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Sure you all know this by now, but obviously, GW2 Beta Weekend event is this weekend. Of which I'll barely be able to play lol. Ah well.
User avatar
Eltiana
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest