Remove Advertisements

League of Legends

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: League of Legends

Postby Arkesh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm

For the US it was, hasn't hit EUW yet. I think they're scared after the 12(?) hours of downtime and all the other issues, like god mode baron.
Arkesh

Postby Aubade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Lol. still down

- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Arkesh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 am

I'm having way too much fun with the new ARAM map. Haven't had a ranked game since it came out, just been ARAMing and then playing the champs that were fun in normals. I suppose it's expanding my catalogue of champions that I can play.
Arkesh

Postby Aubade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 am

Jayce and riven are such pubstompers I actually get mad if I lose normals now O.o.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Arkesh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 pm

I've been playing some Olaf jungle recently with usually great results, I can shut down any lane that makes a mistake - usually. However I think I just had the worst team to play against. Malphite vs Malphite top lane, pointless trying to gank as he's too tanky and our one won't do enough damage. The enemy had bloody Kass middle, with his rift walk or whatever he is a giant pita to gank, forced him back to base a few times, no kills. Then even bottom lane was terrible for ganks, ez and nidalee, we caught nida out a couple times before 6 but after that it was hopeless. So I was left to just farm in the jungle and steal buffs. I have never had a match quite like that, I wish I had been Maokai or Nautilus.

I played jayce for the first time in an aram yesterday, he seemed really quite fun quite a lot of utility between his two stances.
Arkesh

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07 pm

*A nub approaches*

Ok... so I just downloaded LoL last night, and managed to survive my way through the tutorial. Ended up 4/3/2 with Ryze, which considering this is my first time really playing this style game, I'll take it as a win. Planning to play through the tutorial battle at least a couple more times (to try out Ashe and the melee guy) before doing any vs AI or PvP.

Anywho, started rereading this thread from the beginning in an attempt to learn things, but if anyone has some helpful hints for a newbie, I certainly wouldn't turn them down.

Oh, for anyone (US) that wants to add me: Xilrache (pretty sure that's how I spelled it, I'll double check when I get home tonight.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Donut » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:38 pm

A bit of advice to get you started:

-Stay away from the leagueoflegends.com forums for any how-to-play related advice, aside from the basics. It's a cesspool and It'll put you on the wrong path to understanding the game.

-Don't spend you ip (the currency you earn) until you are atleast level 20+, that's when you unlock the highest level of runes and this will help you avoid making early errors in judgement.

-as cool as a hero looks I would avoid buying it until it becomes free to play (they change what 10 heroes are free to play each week)

-The bot AI is decent if you've never played a dota style game before, but it should quickly become predictable and obsolete. I hear they get free items now to make them harder so I may be out of date on this. On top of that many people join those games and then afk in them so you dont really get that 5v5 experience.

Sites that help with the learning curve:

lolpro.com
reignofgaming.net
teamliquid.net - there's a league subforum
lolking.net

I'm Donuty on NA feel free to add for questions.
Have fun!
Donut

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:52 pm

Some questions:

What does it mean to "carry"?

What does it mean if you're "being fed"?

Are the vs AI only 5v5?
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arkesh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 pm

A carry is LoL's equivilant to a DPS, generally they play Attack Damage (eg Ashe) in bottom lane with a support, or in mid solo as an Ability Power champ (eg Ryze). Top lane usually is a bruiser (utility off-tanky person) or full blown tank, although up until level 20+ people don't tend to follow that meta mostly because junglers kinda suck without runes. So you'll usually get 2 going bot, 1 mid and 2 top as that's what the bots do.

If you're being fed, you're getting a lot of kills. If you're feeding then you're dying a lot.

The match making AI is only 5v5 you can arrange a custom game and go 1v1 with a bot, I did this when try out a champ but I'd recommend just playing a beginner bot game. The AI isn't hard and most people aren't expecting to you play like TheOddOne. You also have access to people who may be able to offer pointers.
Arkesh

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Friend of mine might be joining as well, so was looking more for a 2v2 kind of thing (vs AI when with him, since he's not much for PvP in most games.) Yes, I realize it would be somewhat silly to join a PvP style game and try to avoid PvP, but if he gets interested enough through the vs AI, it should be easier to convince him to switch.

When purchasing items, it is best to wait for the suggested items to be available, or is it better to try and get the individual parts leading up to a particular one? Or should I be ignoring the suggestions altogether?

Also, for general tactics... is it better to try and clear the lanes evenly, or push through one lane after the first turret it down? I'm sure this might vary based on the opposing team, but as a whole, what do people aim for?
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Confirmed. Summoner's name is Xilrache.

Username is the same as here.
Last edited by Skye1013 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby aureon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Aubade wrote:Jayce and riven are such pubstompers I actually get mad if I lose normals now O.o.

wait for the MMR to raise and see Jayce getting rotflstomped.
aureon

Postby Arkesh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Skye1013 wrote:When purchasing items, it is best to wait for the suggested items to be available, or is it better to try and get the individual parts leading up to a particular one? Or should I be ignoring the suggestions altogether?

Also, for general tactics... is it better to try and clear the lanes evenly, or push through one lane after the first turret it down? I'm sure this might vary based on the opposing team, but as a whole, what do people aim for?

Item builds can be tricksy. I'm not sure about every suggested build I know some are/were way out of date. Generally I start boots + pots in any role unless I'm supporting. Then I'll usually grab 1/2 dorans blades/rings then I'll start working toward my first big item. For example if I was Ashe I'd try and go Boots + pots > 1/2 Dorans > BF Sword > Pickaxe - the BF Sword and Pickaxe being two of the components of Infinity Edge. For Ryze it might be more like Boots + pots > 1/2 Dorans > Needlessly Large Rod > Blasting Wand > Rabadon's Deathcap if I was going hard carry of if I wanted a more tanky build I'd work toward Catalyst of the Protecter then Rod of Ages. There's never really a clear cut build, it depends on not only the champion you're against in lane but also what roles the rest of your team are playing. Whilst I was starting out I generally followed the builds over at Solo Mid just because there's far too many different items to learn and then try and workout which work best with you champ.

That was maybe a little too much info, but I wanted to create an overview. TLDR version grab a dorans early if you can then starting working on the components of your big items.

For the first 15-20 mins (usually) the goal is to farm minions by last hitting (don't know if you're familiar with the concept, I'll go over it after this paragraph), get as much gold as possible and try to kill the other team if they step out of line and over commit. Whilst not dying in the process. Once you establish a lead then you try and push the lane to the enemy tower and whittle away it's health. Once the tower's dead you can try and help another lane kill their tower, but make sure you're not letting too many enemy minions die to your tower. Generally once the first tower dies it's not long until a teamfight occurs, after that depending on the outcome it's wise to try and kill the tower to which your minions are closest. Although if bot outer was down and mid and top still up I'd try and get the inner bot tower if we were reasonably close, otherwise it'd be either of the other two. You just want to kill a tower whilst most/all the enemy are dead the last thing you (normally) want to do is fight under an unfriendly tower. Inhibs are the real prize though, if you've got two towers in bot and top and only one left in mid, I'd try and go for that every time as once you have the tower down the only reason not to have another fight there is if you're low HP.

For last hitting (this is more for normal games but it's good to practise in bot matches) as the name implies you want to get the last hit so you get the gold. In a normal game you only want to wait until the minions take the health of each other down to the point where you can kill it in a single hit, you don't really want to auto attack as that will push the lane and leave you wide open for the jungler to come and gank you. The aim is to try and keep the minions in the middle or a tad closer to your tower but not in range of it. You can harass other players but try not to chase unless you're sure you'll win as an incoming wave of enemy minions can be dangerous at early levels.

If for example you win an early lane fight you'll want to try and push the wave to their turret so they lose more gold and experience, at this point you want to auto attack/use some abilities but you still want those last hits. Then once the wave is at the tower, find a safe place to recall and spend your winnings.

Sorry if this is more in depth than you wanted, but I just wish someone had sat me down and explained all of the above and more when I started. I think I had played about 40 games before I discovered what everyone meant by "red" and "blue" Derp Derp. (They're the colour of the buffs that you get from the Lizard Elder and Ancient Golems respectively. Red is a DoT that's applied on auto attacks that also has a slight slowing effect and Blue increases mana/energy regen and lowers Cooldowns)
Arkesh

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:05 pm

The tutorial covers "get last hits for gold" but doesn't really go into it much beyond that. I definitely will have to get out of the habit of chasing champs or pushing too early, though I did an AI custom game last night where I was actually ahead in levels from everyone else (on both teams) so I think I'm getting a little better about that (though we were losing horribly...)

Was looking through the various champions, and while I'm probably not in a position to start considering purchasing any (IP or knowledgewise)... what are people's thoughts on Wukong and Ziggs?

Also, other than spending IRL monies for them, is there any other way to obtain RP or will I forever have 400 that'll be just short of buying anything?

More questions to come :)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arkesh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

I haven't played wukong at all and I only really play Ryze, Morgana and Galio AP, I tried ziggs and I didn't really get along with him, but that's my story with most APs except the above. I thought his Q was really hard to land and found his W mostly useless, some utility in a teamfight to get a champ away but it doesn't move them far and it's hard to send the in the right direction. But that's just my opinion I'd get someone who mains APs to weigh in.

I believe Riot occasionally gives out a little RP but the last time they did was before I started playing in Jan - or so I was told - more often than not you just a get a free IP boost (doubles IP on a win excluding the daily bonus). If you are going to buy champs for RP, I'd recommend just picking up ones that you've tried during their free weeks, actually I'd go with Donut and say the same for spending IP. Twice a week 3 champs go up on sale and have their RP cost halved but not their IP. I loved the idea of playing fiddlesticks until I actually tried him during a free week, since then I've been careful not to buy anything I haven't tried. My one regret is Lee Sin, I'm so hopeless at using him to his full potential.
Arkesh

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games