League of Legends

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: League of Legends

Postby Orthien » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 pm

I just started playing LoL this weekend with a guildy and have been enjoying it dispite still having a lot to learn.
I quite enjoyed the play style on Riven when running her as a F2P Character this past week. Can anyone one recommend other Characters I might enjoy based on this knowledge.
(Also kind of enjoyed Leona in the one game I got to play with her and though I haven't played him yet liked the look of Jarven IV)
Orthien

Postby Aubade » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm

If you liked Riven, you might also like Katarina, although she's an ability power champion, she's also cooldown based and doesn't have a resource system. Outside of that, most LoL Characters are pretty unique, so there's not really another champion like Riven =P
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Arnock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Orthien wrote:I just started playing LoL this weekend with a guildy and have been enjoying it dispite still having a lot to learn.
I quite enjoyed the play style on Riven when running her as a F2P Character this past week. Can anyone one recommend other Characters I might enjoy based on this knowledge.
(Also kind of enjoyed Leona in the one game I got to play with her and though I haven't played him yet liked the look of Jarven IV)

What specifically do you like about riven?

Garen is probably the closest match off the top of my head. Tanky AD based champion with no resource system, mostly AOE damage, limmited CC, and the execute portion of riven's ult is more or less copied from garen's ult.

You also might find lee sin to be fairly fun. His abilities have to be chained like riven's Q
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Orthien » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Hard trying to put words on it. Was really just the balance of mobility with survivability and damage that she has. That and the way the ability's work together, A few of the other's I tryed were ether to squishy or to survival focused. That's why I was interested in trying Jarvan he seems simlar from what little I have seen. The lack of mana wasn't that much of a selling point on her though it is definatly nice not to worry about.
Orthien

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:44 am

Orthien wrote:Hard trying to put words on it. Was really just the balance of mobility with survivability and damage that she has. That and the way the ability's work together, A few of the other's I tryed were ether to squishy or to survival focused. That's why I was interested in trying Jarvan he seems simlar from what little I have seen. The lack of mana wasn't that much of a selling point on her though it is definatly nice not to worry about.

I agree with Arnock with Garen probably being the closest to what Riven is. Decent mobility with decent damage, even when built as a semi tank. Thing about riven though is she is really unique for a melee champion where you really just spam your abilities and thats what makes her so mobile.

To be fair, that description really doesn't do her justice, but I'm really tired and can't think of a better way to put it :)

Jarvan isn't nearly as mobile as Riven, and about the same if not less than Garen (maybe a bit better at positioning with his E to Q combo) but he is about the same when it comes to survivability.

Singed is also hilarious to play if you get bored :)
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Aubade » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:39 am

I am in love with irelia, who is a very tanky, very mobile DPS champion for sure.
Aubade

Postby blakk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:42 am

Orthien wrote:Hard trying to put words on it. Was really just the balance of mobility with survivability and damage that she has. That and the way the ability's work together, A few of the other's I tryed were ether to squishy or to survival focused. That's why I was interested in trying Jarvan he seems simlar from what little I have seen. The lack of mana wasn't that much of a selling point on her though it is definatly nice not to worry about.

You'd probably enjoy lee sin if you enjoy riven. His mobility is right there with hers and his damage is high even when building a defensive item first.
blakk

Postby cakeftw » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 am

Oh god malphite, poke someone with q to 50% at level 7 in lane, ULT W E Q AN ENEMY HAS BEEN SLAIN.
If im laning with an ad carry I get them fed to the point we win with hilarious ease, if not, I get fed to the point that im an unkillable juggernaught, so much fun.
cakeftw

Postby Rhivath » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Just started doing ranked again in Season 2 (took about 2 months off LoL near end of Season 1, rusty as hell) but it's starting off well with two wins. Much prefer to be the support to an AD in bot lane, or the top lane solo, but whatever the group ends up needing. First game fed our Kassadin in bot lane so hard with Alistar (at 15min he was 8-0-2 to my 2-1-8) to the point that he was one shotting their carries, then next game our Soraka fed my Ashe (ended game 5-0-11) and we won every team fight we ever had.
Rhivath - Alliance Paladin of Silver Hand
And many many alts!
Rhivath

Postby aureon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 am

I had gold on the s1.
Start s2.
Do a ranked, meet retards on both sides, carry them. Nothing too strange.
Do a second ranked, meet two first-rankeds.
Proceed to pick a pubstomper (ryze)
Start 7-0-0.
Cry in anguish when noticing that, even if i carried my useless Garen in bot, (who should've been jungling), our sona/cait in top has managed to feed a solo GP six kills.
And our brand fed Morgana another four.
I'm going back to arranged 5v5, kthx.
aureon

Postby Rhivath » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:19 am

Ok so after my last few ranked games I pose these questions to the community, mostly to newer players or those not 100% familiar with the game yet -

1) If you are mid lane and AP, is having 84ap total at 30min good?
2) If you are bot AD ranged with a support, is having 26 minion kills at 15min good?
3) If your team has a jungler, top lane, mid lane, and support but needs a ranged AD, do you lock in Olaf?
4) Is chasing without wards or Clairvoyance into the enemy jungle ever a good idea early on?

If you answered yes to any questions, please don't play ranked yet <.<
Rhivath - Alliance Paladin of Silver Hand
And many many alts!
Rhivath

Postby Aubade » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Rhivath wrote:1) If you are mid lane and AP, is having 84ap total at 30min good? Yes, if your name is Ryze.
2) If you are bot AD ranged with a support, is having 26 minion kills at 15min good? Only if you have 11 kills and 0 deaths.
3) If your team has a jungler, top lane, mid lane, and support but needs a ranged AD, do you lock in Olaf? If you have Brolaf skin, yes.
4) Is chasing without wards or Clairvoyance into the enemy jungle ever a good idea early on?Nothing clever and funny on this one, just no.
Aubade

Postby Lightbeard » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Graves is friggin amazing

My new favorite ranged AD

Forums are qqing though, he'll get nerfed
Lightbeard

Postby Candiru » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:01 am

I've been having some fun with Amumu, he seems like an excellent tank. His stuns and despair aura mean the opposing team have to kill him ASAP to avoid all melting, but if you build him with tanky items he's quite hard to kill. Often you die but then your team get 5 kills, resulting in an easy win but a 0/10/8 for you or somesuch.

Which other characters are good to tank on? I've tried Beric, but he doesn't seem as fun as Amumu. He plays a lot like a wow paladin! Heal, stun, armour aura and not that great DPS. Get mana back with SoW, if you can't attack minions you go oom so quickly.
Candiru

Postby Angelarc6570 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 am

Candiru wrote:Which other characters are good to tank on? I've tried Taric, but he doesn't seem as fun as Amumu. He plays a lot like a wow paladin! Heal, stun, armour aura and not that great DPS. Get mana back with SoW, if you can't attack minions you go oom so quickly.

Hehe, Taric, not Beric :P

Anyway, Taric is very much like a Paladin, but more like a Holy Paladin v.s. a Prot paladin. Leona is very similar to Amumu in terms of abilities and such, and reminds me of my human paladin too :P
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games