Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 am

Dorvan wrote:
Still they're a lot of fun, and Bioware seem incapable of writing a bad story for any game they make. I especially reccomend spending some time chatting to HK-47 in KotOR 1.

Of course, for lots of us the more RPGish nature of Bioware's other games isn't a detractor, it's a feature!

I agree, but I think if you're attracted to the action aspect of ME2, then KotoR in particular might feel a little clunkier. I don't know why I included DA:O in that, since it's more akin to WoW, with weapons having swing times and abilities having cooldowns and costs. Put that down to a lack of caffeine at whatever time I wrote that.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 am

Yeah I love the action aspect but I have a friend that preferred the slower combat style of the first game, she isn;t really good at action games I guess. But me I love the style in ME2.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arnock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:15 am

I personally haven't played any of the mass effect games.

How exactly do they pull off the 'rpg/shooter,' out of curiosity.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby ulushnar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

ME2 does it really well. The action sequences are basically a third-person cover-based shooter with two AI squadmates. On the 360 version, you can give the squad movement orders via the d-Pad or use the shoulder buttons to use powers or assign weapons. Their AI's pretty decent even without you doing that though.

The RPG elements are handled cut scenes with full spoken dialogue (including the main character) and the ability to pick different dialogue options depending on moral choices or whatever seems funny at a given time. You even get the opportunity via an in-cut-scene prompt to peform interrupts with a Renegade or Paragon moral bent.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 am

OK, you've finally convinced me to try it out. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:46 pm

There is one thing I would like to add to this thread.

Enjoy.
Io.Draco

Postby Passionario » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 am

ulushnar wrote:Have to say, I was disappointed with the big bad at the end. The bad guys this time around really lacked a "Saren", for want of a better word; a true nemesis for Shepard rather than a bunch of remote control grunts.

One could argue that the true nemesis of Shepard in ME2 is the Illusive Man.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 am

Passionario wrote:
ulushnar wrote:Have to say, I was disappointed with the big bad at the end. The bad guys this time around really lacked a "Saren", for want of a better word; a true nemesis for Shepard rather than a bunch of remote control grunts.

I gave him the station. Won't be a bit surprised if I end up having to put a bullet in his non-virtual head in ME3.
Arcand

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Passionario wrote:

That's a point of a view from an ignorant Paragon.

Seriously he brings you back from the dead, gives you a ship with a full crew, gives you free reign over the Lazarus Cell and the mission and in return he only asks you to give him the Collector Base.

Sounds fair enough to me.
Io.Draco

Postby Aelissa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Io.Draco wrote:Seriously he brings you back from the dead, gives you a ship with a full crew, gives you free reign over the Lazarus Cell and the mission and in return he only asks you to give him the Collector Base.

Sounds fair enough to me.

He also throws Miranda "I'm Shepard's second in command" Lawson into the deal though. And for this, he deserves to die. Painfully.
Aelissa

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:23 pm

I blew up the station, you can't trust Reaper technology.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Vanifae wrote:I blew up the station, you can't trust Reaper technology.

EDI's delivering so far. Her overlord joke during the Collector attack was 24-carat gold.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Arcand wrote:
Vanifae wrote:I blew up the station, you can't trust Reaper technology.

EDI's delivering so far. Her overlord joke during the Collector attack was 24-carat gold.

True but I hate Cerberus and the The Illusive Man is just a bad bad dude, who has only his best interests at heart.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Vanifae wrote:True but I hate Cerberus and the The Illusive Man is just a bad bad dude, who has only his best interests at heart.

Eh. With luck I'll get a few cool tech toys out of the captured station, and if TIM wants to join the thousands of others who thought they could fuck with Athena Shepard... :twisted:
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:46 pm

I hear yah there.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games