Remove Advertisements

Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby mew » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Minnerva wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:
I guess I missed the part where the Blue Suns were worse than any of the other mercenary groups we've torn a hole through. Will they suddenly become the Eridani Light Horse* if we free them from Vido's evil influence, or something? :)

Not the point of why you should kill Vido.........

But removing the man in charge does score a serious hit against them.

Why is the black guy in that comic so super black? He's actually black, not dark brown.

Edit: Also, space hamster > fish.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Boo! Go for the eyes, Boo! RAUS!!!!!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Minnerva » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Njall wrote:Boo! Go for the eyes, Boo! RAUS!!!!!

Minnerva

Postby Arcand » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Njall wrote:Depends on the unit. Kill off Wolf and the Wolf's Dragoons are in trouble. He's pretty much indispensable.

I won't dispute this particular example because I haven't read any of the Black Widow fiction, maybe they really do function that way...but it makes no sense to me for a unit that folds up without one of its members to survive, succeed or become renowned/feared/respected. Jaime has radio trouble, or gets an antenna busted off, or gets hurt, or the enemy turns on their radio jammers, and suddenly the Dragoons turn into an anarchic street gang??

Even my army reserve unit, which is not an elite battle-hardened organization at all, knows exactly what to do without the old man's leadership. We have it hammered into us that we must know not only how to take over our boss's job at any moment, but HIS boss's job too. (Good thing too, 'cause our shiny new radios are colossal Ps of S.) If you're a mercenary unit in a pretty dangerous galaxy and you've been doing it for two decades, I'm thinking you can absorb the loss of a leader and barely blink. You'll miss his skills but if he was a halfway competent leader, he will have prepared the team to go on without him.
Last edited by Arcand on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

I eat Reapers for lunch.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Are those reapers of yours circular, served hot, with rows of square depressions on both sides of them? Covered with butter and syrup?

If so, we've been over this - those aren't Reapers.
Arcand

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Arcand wrote:
Njall wrote:

Even my army reserve unit, which is not an elite battle-hardened organization at all, knows exactly what to do without the old man's leadership.

There is a great difference between mercenaries and soldiers, particuarly in this era of nationalism. Reading up on the condottiero of Renaissance Italy and how they would behave with the rise and fall of their leaders is fascinating reading!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Arcand wrote:Are those reapers of yours circular, served hot, with rows of square depressions on both sides of them? Covered with butter and syrup?

If so, we've been over this - those aren't Reapers.

You butter us because we allow it.

You will consume us, because we demand it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 am

We have it hammered into us that we must know not only how to take over our boss's job at any moment, but HIS boss's job too

Your professional soldiers, not mercenaries. Totally different situations. The question is not if the Blue Suns could continue their operations without Vido, the question is if they would fall in line behind Vido's second in command ( the batarian ) without a hitch.

I have serious doubts without that, even more so after the events on a certain ship you capture from the Suns.
Io.Draco

Postby Passionario » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 am

After reviewing the Paragon/Renegade choices I've made during loyalty missions, I've noticed a certain pattern. When dealing with an adversary, I tend to pick the Paragon option - unless he betrayed my teammate, in which case said adversary gets sent directly to the 9th circle of Hell.

That's why Maelon, Aresh, Talid and millions of geth heretics got to live, while Vido, Niket and Sidonis didn't.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Arcand » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:12 am

Passionario wrote:After reviewing the Paragon/Renegade choices I've made during loyalty missions, I've noticed a certain pattern. When dealing with an adversary, I tend to pick the Paragon option - unless he betrayed my teammate, in which case said adversary gets sent directly to the 9th circle of Hell.

That's why Maelon, Aresh, Talid and millions of geth heretics got to live, while Vido, Niket and Sidonis didn't.

I think it would be really, really interesting if you could export a list of all your choices to look at and compare with other peoples', either individually or en masse.

I can't remember if I spared Maelon...guess I could go to Omega and see if he's there.
I let Jack kill Aresh because that's the only way to stop him from rebooting Camp Hell. I wish I could have intimidated him out of it or something.
I stopped Kolyat from killing Talid, but I may have whacked Talid myself - again I don't remember.
Destroyed the heretics.
Vido got the ambiguous possible-death-in-crashing-shuttle.
I let Miranda kill Niket.
I helped Garrus kill Sidonis.

Apparently my Shep's pretty kill-y.
Betrayed anyone: Kill.
Enslaved or coerced anyone: Kill.
Deliberate harm to innocents: Kill.
Collateral harm to innocents: Punish.
Helped the Reapers/Collectors: Kill.
Teammate wants them dead: Kill, usually.
Was coerced into doing bad stuff: Depends how the actor makes the case. I killed the Asari girl who had just joined the mercenaries (in Thane's storyline, IIRC) which I admit was awful cold.
Inept doofus in over his head: Spank and release.
Arcand

Postby Levantine » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:26 am

/target Thread
/cast Necromancy

So did anyone else have stupid ass problems importing their save files? I can import my shitty ass level 37 one, but not my not terrible 53 one. Halp?

(xbawks, btw)
Levantine

Postby Vanifae » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 am

Levantine wrote:/target Thread
/cast Necromancy

So did anyone else have stupid ass problems importing their save files? I can import my shitty ass level 37 one, but not my not terrible 53 one. Halp?

(xbawks, btw)

Did you beat the game with your 53?

I didn't have any problems at all myself.
Vanifae

Postby Levantine » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah, I beat the game. Saved the council and spanked Saren and Sovereign around a bit for good measure. Am mighty pissed by this. :/
Levantine

Postby Vanifae » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 am

Levantine wrote:Yeah, I beat the game. Saved the council and spanked Saren and Sovereign around a bit for good measure. Am mighty pissed by this. :/

Hrrm are they both under the same profile and on the same storage device? Because it should work does it do anything or does the save file just not show up?
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games