Remove Advertisements

Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Kaedan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Gimme the glowstick and I will be happy!

I played SWG for a bit, unlocked Jedi, and although I wasn't the first (or even top 100 for the server I'm sure) I made it fairly early on and there were not many of us.....then the combat upgrade happend. SWG died at that moment.

A million voices cried out in pain...and then suddenly were gone. :(
Kaedan

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:34 pm

http://www.mmogamer.com/06/11/2009/a-new-hope-for-mmos/

Wow, all I can say is wow. If they can really pulll off half the stuff they talk about in this interview, I'll be logging many an hour in this game.
honorshammer

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 pm

I am far too stoked about this game already. My enthusiasm is peaking too soon!

Although I wish I was Horde in WoW, I think I'll have to play Light side in TOR. I don't think I can do evil in the Star Wars setting. What can I say, I'm a cheeseball...but that goes with playing a Paladin.

Then again, they could drop an awesome Sith class preview and I might totally change my mind. We'll see.

Definitely playing on a PvP server this time, regardless of where my people go. If I've learned anything from years of WoW, it's that I should have played Horde PvP, rather than Alliance PvE.

I really hope this is the game that brings WoW down into the realm of mortal MMOs, because we need some parity and choice in the market. I love WoW, and I'm enjoying the heck out of WotLK, but I think the market will best be served by several MMOs with player bases in the millions, rather than one gigantic one.
Fedaykin98

Postby Jaydin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Don't forget the hundreds of bobba fett name variations to come

like that one >-> <_< (*boba* fett)
Jaydin

Postby Nemuria » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 am

And blue skinned female Twil'ek with Indian like name
Nemuria

Postby Skwigelf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 am

Oooh! Oooh!

Jeb Solo! Han's great great great great(etc for about 3650 years or so) grandfather!
Skwigelf

Postby Levantine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 am

Mokay, I'd most definitely be interested in a game like this. Want to buy. D:

PS I'd totally either Sith it the hell up orrrrrr depending on how well they do factions and swapping like they mentioned a couple times on the site, start off as a sorrowful (note: not vengeful, like that emo c*nt Anikin) Jedi who kinda turns Sith cause emotions and that stuff. Clichè, but meh.
Levantine

Postby Baelor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:23 am

Honorshammer wrote:http://www.mmogamer.com/06/11/2009/a-new-hope-for-mmos/

Wow, all I can say is wow. If they can really pulll off half the stuff they talk about in this interview, I'll be logging many an hour in this game.

I think I might explode with joy. I need to stop reading about this game, it really does sound like I'll get to play through my childhood Star Wars fantasies and bring friends.

Also - Baelor, Republic Jedi, light side user. If any of you take my name on the server I choose, I swear by my KotOR game installs that I will cut you down.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Balerion » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:27 pm

I have high hopes for this game. I'd just like a change of pace from the "sword and sorcery" lore (not that it's bad, but it's played out for me), and Star Wars has a pretty rich background. I'm curious about how they'll handle group dynamics and balance... According to what I've read, you can play a "Trooper" (which appears to be a type of soldier, like a storm trooper but non-cloned?) but wouldn't a Sith would cut through dozens of "Troopers" without breaking a sweat?

I don't know, too early for me to start asking stupid fanboy questions... I'm just hopeful the game is going to be a change of pace both lore-wise and in regards to mechanics.
Balerion

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:45 am

Balerion wrote:I have high hopes for this game. I'd just like a change of pace from the "sword and sorcery" lore (not that it's bad, but it's played out for me), and Star Wars has a pretty rich background. I'm curious about how they'll handle group dynamics and balance... According to what I've read, you can play a "Trooper" (which appears to be a type of soldier, like a storm trooper but non-cloned?) but wouldn't a Sith would cut through dozens of "Troopers" without breaking a sweat?

I imagine they'll balance it out to some degree. A High level trooper would presumably be a Special-Forces type of Boba-Fettian proportions.

Also, in the Old Republic period, it seems that pretty much all weapons and armor had Cortosis weave to make them Lightsaber resistant.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 am

Ulushnar wrote:
Balerion wrote:I have high hopes for this game. I'd just like a change of pace from the "sword and sorcery" lore (not that it's bad, but it's played out for me), and Star Wars has a pretty rich background. I'm curious about how they'll handle group dynamics and balance... According to what I've read, you can play a "Trooper" (which appears to be a type of soldier, like a storm trooper but non-cloned?) but wouldn't a Sith would cut through dozens of "Troopers" without breaking a sweat?

I imagine they'll balance it out to some degree. A High level trooper would presumably be a Special-Forces type of Boba-Fettian proportions.

Also, in the Old Republic period, it seems that pretty much all weapons and armor had Cortosis weave to make them Lightsaber resistant.

Or we'll be really un-powerful padawans for a very long time so that we are vulnerable to blaster fire, flamethrowers, thermal detonators, and all the other goodies that those Fett-types carry around.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15 am

Baelor wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:I imagine they'll balance it out to some degree. A High level trooper would presumably be a Special-Forces type of Boba-Fettian proportions.

Or we'll be really un-powerful padawans for a very long time so that we are vulnerable to blaster fire, flamethrowers, thermal detonators, and all the other goodies that those Fett-types carry around.

Entirely possible. Even master Jedi fell to hails of blaster fire during the Clone Wars (and before you Prequel-haters get your flame on, those movies are more "canon" than the KotOR series). Like I said earlier in the thread, the way they choose to handle the power-levels in the game will make or break it. Jedi need to be able to do cool stuff, or there's no point. But if Jedi/Sith are too powerful, then there's no point in having the other classes in the game.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Torquemada » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:32 am

My hatred of the prequels is focused on Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, and their on-screen chemistry which was just slightly less tepid than the surface of the planet Hoth. I'm part of the minority of people apparently who have never found Natalie Portman attractive, and I'm part of the majority who found the portrayal of Anakin to be that of a whiny bitch. Even if that was the intent it could have been done better by Keanu Reeves...

I've generally only been interested in playing Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith, but if they make the single player/non-raid campaign that enjoyable I might be willing to give it multiple gos as different classes. I'd prefer it if I could wax between Light and Dark, but if worse comes to worse I'd make two force users. Don't know that I'd be interested in a raid. I can see the pugs now...

"3 Jedi DPS LF Jedi Tank and Jedi Healer PST."
Torquemada

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 am

Torquemada wrote: and I'm part of the majority who found the portrayal of Anakin to be that of a whiny bitch. Even if that was the intent it could have been done better by Keanu Reeves...

The whininess was in the script, and to be completely fair:

1. Luke was a whiny bitch as well.
2. The idea of Vader as fullon badass didn't make it out of the original trilogy. (RotJ anyone?)

Lucas can't direct people, write good dialogue, or do anything other than create a fun visual spectacle. Combine that with the challenges involved in acting against green-screens rather than full sets, is it any wonder that the only actors that stand out in the prequels had a background in theater?

Back to the topic though, I'm beginning to think that, if they're not careful, Jedi will end up as the Death Knights of SW:TOR. That is to say, they'll be everywhere but good ones will be few and far between/
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 am

Actually my real fear is that Troopers will be Tanks but Jedi will be Healers.
honorshammer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games