Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Barathorn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 am

I have been playing on and off and have a 18 Sorceror and a 26 Sniper and I enjoy PVP in the 10-49 on both. In fact I enjoy it so much that I have yet to finish the quests on Balmorra and go to Nar Shada. I have a good little trading operation with Arjuna for Cybertech stuff and for me the relaxed pace of SWTOR is very welcome.

My Character names are Caladoor and Barathorn so if you see me in a Warzone say hi!

Oh and Arjuna, I just head shot you.

Again.

:)
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arjuna » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 am

Meh Bara, I play on my crappy laptop with a 14" screen...just wait until I get a proper computer...then I might notice you as you blow my head off! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Barathorn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:22 am

I now have a BH as well called Tarithella. I haven't had so much fun with a character since running Shattered Halls or killing 97 trillion blood elves at the entrance to the Black Temple.

Really enjoying the game at the moment, its great for laid back players like me although the end game offers little currently according to reports. That doesn't worry me, that stuff will come.

My wife and I now have a 31 Sith Warrior/29 Sniper/20 Sith Sorceror/12 Bounty Hunter/8 Trooper [Republic Scum].

I am just having fun killing Arjuna on as many alts as possible :).
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arjuna » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 am

/cry
Arjuna

Postby Arnock » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 pm

So I was trying to do my ilum pvp daily the other day, and upon arriving on ilum, there were a bunch of my republic comrades hanging around, but we were only seeing one or two imperials at a time trying to ninja some armaments.

I realized that this was completely unacceptable, so I logged onto an imperial alt in the fleet, and proceeded to inform the imperial scum that their parents either were members of the family cricetinae, or smelled of sambucus... or something along those lines.

The imps responded in force, and we wound up having multiple ops groups engaging in an all-out slugfest on the central assault in ilum, it was quite glorious.

Sadly, the imperial numbers grew too large and we eventually were forced to retreat, but it was fun while it lasted.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sagara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 am

Still waiting for the rest of my friends to reach 50, we decided to rolls a couple of alts, mostly to do leveling FP with them. I tried my hand at both Troopers AC, and there's little that is more fun than opening an AoE can of whoopbutt on boss adds. :lol:
Also interesting is that my wife, a consummate tank-hater from WoW, played a tanking Shadow in Hammer and Athyss and *enjoyed it* - to the point of keeping the spec for levelling.

I'll stand with Bara here - leveling is an insanely fun way to spend a couple hours...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Arjuna » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am

I'm sooooo happy I'm imperial, because if they ever write in gungans in the game, it's likely I'll get to kill them!!! (and god do I hope it's a repeatable quest!)
Arjuna

Postby Sagara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 am

Speaking of races - I keep hearing about Legacy unlocking new races, but I've yet to find any kind of source for that.
Did I miss anything?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Passionario » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 am

To answer my own question from a few pages back - yes, apparently it's perfectly possible to duo Directive 7, Battle for Ilum and False Emperor with companions.

The biggest pain in the ass was Mentor, since companions are not exactly capable of kiting his claw, LOSing turrets, running out of circles on the floor or clicking processor nodes.

Sagara wrote:Speaking of races - I keep hearing about Legacy unlocking new races, but I've yet to find any kind of source for that.
Did I miss anything?

I think it's in the same category as WoW's dance studio.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Chicken » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:06 am

Sagara wrote:Speaking of races - I keep hearing about Legacy unlocking new races, but I've yet to find any kind of source for that.
Did I miss anything?
Patch 1.2 (Whenever that'll release) is supposed to add some extra stuff to the Legacy system, one of the things they showed for their 1.2 preview video was a Miraluka Sith Warrior. So not exactly new races, but existing races available to more classes.
Chicken

Postby Kelaan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 am

So, now that Star Wars: TOR has been out for a while, would you guys care to share what you like and dislike about it? Obviously you enjoy it enough to play that instead of WoW.

• What does SWTOR do better than WoW? What does it have that WoW is missing, or does poorly? I know some of you will say "no pandas" but as pandas don't seem to bother me, I'm looking for something more. ;)
  • What do you dislike about SWTOR? What are your biggest gripes? (And are these things which WoW does better, or is it something both do poorly at?)
  • Do you play both WoW and SWTOR? (Or, if you have a wow subscription, is it only for D3 plus beta access to pandas?)
  • Did you swap to SWTOR because you had "finished" Cataclysm, or because the game just does a lot of things better? (if it does)
  • If you PvP, what do you like better about the pvp than wow's? Aside from Huttball (which I admit seems a bit more fun than CTF), is there anything else? Is there an equivalent to arenas, or is it all larger group combat?
  • I realize this is a very small sample size, but is server balance completely hosed? Last I'd heard, it sounded like Republic was outnumbered by a large margin, which makes a pvp server (or a pvp zone) sound very daunting.
Kelaan

Postby Arnock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 am

Kelaan wrote:So, now that Star Wars: TOR has been out for a while, would you guys care to share what you like and dislike about it? Obviously you enjoy it enough to play that instead of WoW.

• What does SWTOR do better than WoW? What does it have that WoW is missing, or does poorly? I know some of you will say "no pandas" but as pandas don't seem to bother me, I'm looking for something more. ;)

I'd say that, due to a lot of class homogenization, and that each class has a dedicated 'pvp tree' pvp is balanced a bit better than wow.
    I also like the talent system a bit more than what you see in wow.
    And, though it goes without saying, the quality of storytelling.

• What do you dislike about SWTOR? What are your biggest gripes? (And are these things which WoW does better, or is it something both do poorly at?)

I dislike the fact that there's no autoattack in swtor, when everything else is on CD or you're out of resources, you have to use an 'attack' ability, which, of course, activates the GCD, so usually you wind up being completely GCD locked, which can make it annoying when you need to pop an emergency stun, or another ability that you need to respond quickly with.

Also, I strongly dislike the lack of macros, or addons.

• Do you play both WoW and SWTOR? (Or, if you have a wow subscription, is it only for D3 plus beta access to pandas?)

I quit wow a few days before cata released

• Did you swap to SWTOR because you had "finished" Cataclysm, or because the game just does a lot of things better? (if it does)

see above. I got bored with wow, and frustrated with my guild's lack of dedication awhile ago, and play swtor due to being a huge star wars nerd.

• If you PvP, what do you like better about the pvp than wow's? Aside from Huttball (which I admit seems a bit more fun than CTF), is there anything else? Is there an equivalent to arenas, or is it all larger group combat?

I like that the 'warzones'(swtor equivalent to battlegrounds) are unique to servers, rather than having battlegroups like wow, so there's a stronger sense of community among pvp'ers.
    Furthermore, I think that the class homogenization makes pvp slightly more balanced than what you'd see in wow, but I never really got into pvp much in wow, so take that with a few grains of salt.

I also like the fact that tanks actually have a role in pvp combat.

As it currently stands, pvp is limited to random world pvp, world pvp zones, and warzones.

• I realize this is a very small sample size, but is server balance completely hosed? Last I'd heard, it sounded like Republic was outnumbered by a large margin, which makes a pvp server (or a pvp zone) sound very daunting.

Not exactly empirical evidence, but when I've logged onto sith alts there's usually more sith hanging around the fleet(rough equivalent to capital cities) than republic, though usually only in the range of 10-30 people.
Arnock

Postby Kelaan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Don't know what happened to the Quick Reply button, so I'll quote. :)

Arnock wrote:Due to a lot of class homogenization, and that each class has a dedicated 'pvp tree' pvp is balanced a bit better than wow.

Is that the "third" tree in each talent tree that's shared between the variants of your class?

I ... play swtor due to being a huge star wars nerd.

I am a bigger star wars nerd than I will ever be a Warcraft nerd, despite being a warcraft nerd (now). This is one of the most compelling reasons for me to play, frankly. How well does it live up to the demands of star wars nerds? :D
Kelaan

Postby Arnock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Kelaan wrote:Is that the "third" tree in each talent tree that's shared between the variants of your class?

Yes

A pretty big problem I have with swtor pvp, though, is the fact that, due to there being no DR on CC, you can get stunlocked pretty easily

[quote="Kelaan]"I am a bigger star wars nerd than I will ever be a Warcraft nerd, despite being a warcraft nerd (now). This is one of the most compelling reasons for me to play, frankly. How well does it live up to the demands of star wars nerds? :D[/quote]

I would definitely say that it lives up to my demands. The biggest complaint I have (lore-wise, at least) is the fact that, despite taking place several thousand years before the films, technologically, everything looks the same, more or less.

Also, the story isn't nearly strong as the KOTOR games, but that's to be expected, seeing as they had to create 8 unique storylines that still fit with the overall 'game story'
Last edited by Arnock on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnock

Postby Kelaan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Arnock wrote:A pretty big problem I have with swtor pvp, though, is the fact that, due to there being no DR on CC, you can get stunlocked pretty easily

I like that they make the CC-immunity bar visible, but yeah -- I can certainly imagine it being frustrating.

[quote=Kelaan]I would definitely say that it lives up to my demands. The biggest complaint I have (lore-wise, at least) is the fact that, despite taking place several thousand years before the films, technologically, everything looks the same, more or less.[/quote]

Heh. :D I felt similarly in KOTOR... but then, I guess that's part of the premise of a setting where civilization has colonized most of the galaxy long enough ago that most of the races coexist harmoniously. I think I'm OK with that.
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games