Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:As someone who has found the greatest pleasure when it comes to raiding through being a tank I can only imagine how hard it's going to be for people to get into tank roles when 5/8 are dps, 2/8 are heals and only 1/8 are tanks. :(

I have the exact opposite response. I think it's great that only one tank is required. My guild has something like 20 members (friends from all areas, both WoW and not) and it has maybe 2 tanks. I'm only Defense spec because the Flashpoints got really hard on my healer when I was tanking as Vigilance. I would really like it if either they implemented multiple specs OR had no dedicated tank trees. Just 3 dps trees and when you want to tank you throw on your tank gear with its defensive stats and go to town. Realistically to me in this game I don't see a huge mechanical difference between the "tank" role and the dps roles... everyone's just shooting the mobs anyway the only difference is that the tank's goal is to make sure all the mobs are also shooting him. And since there's zero transparency to how threat works in this game to the point where I honestly stopped giving a shit if my dps are getting hit, I don't see why there should be a division between tank and dps anyway.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby crazyharry » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 am

Yay, patch notes

Woooo

Items

General

Rakata weapons are now correctly rating 140 and are fitted with mark 25 modifications.
These items were previously less powerful than intended.

The number of commendations in Champion and Battlemaster Bags has been greatly increased,
and the direct item trade tokens appear less frequently in Champion Bags.
This change allows players to obtain PvP gear at a steady and significantly more predictable rate with an occasional bonus.

Misc.

During brief teleports, the splash screen does not appear incorrectly over loading screens. ...... OH NOES, my loading screen no longer has a loading screen!
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Astronomic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 am

Kelaan wrote:
crazyharry wrote:Level 10 - 49 PVP is currently a lot more fun than being a newbie in level 50 due to the huge impact no expertise has and the randomness involved in getting geared up.

Is there any benefit to pvping before 50? Does it let you earn currency or tokens that you can use at level 50 on max level gear, or is every new player in pvp going to be going through a meat grinder to get expertise gear?

More importantly you gain valor. Once you hit 60 valor you have access to some of the best gear in the game.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby amh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Blizz Customization 5: Best 20k spent in game so far.

I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 am

amh wrote:Blizz Customization 5: Best 20k spent in game so far.

That is just full of win. I would pay £8.99 a month just to have Blizz wandering around with me.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arnock » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:19 pm

So I finally managed to ding 50 last night on my shadow on corellia!

Now, I wasn't really paying too close attention to the amount of credits that I was earning from missions when I was leveling, do you get additional credits per mission completion once you hit level 50 like in wow?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Anyone else notice that it seems like there are almost never any healers in PVP warzones? It's made me start playing my Sith Sorcerer, and I'm realizing how bad @$$ they are. I'm consistently doing 100 to 200k heals with over 100k damage as well and I've only just dinged 20. Good times!!
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby crazyharry » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 am

I have noticed quite a few healers in WZs on Hex Droid.

Republic side it is mainly Commandos and Empire side is sorcerors.

But that isn't much of a surprise, the latest (player gathered) data* I have seen showed the average server having more Sith Inquisitors than the Republic has players and commandos have a reputation for being overpowered due to the player base not understanding how heavy armor is not the be all and end all in SWTOR.

* Can't find the post but essentially a guy has taken to logging onto different servers and abusing the /who function to search for classes by zone, not perfect but it gave a glimpse into pop numbers.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
crazyharry

Postby amh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:24 am

Arnock wrote:Now, I wasn't really paying too close attention to the amount of credits that I was earning from missions when I was leveling, do you get additional credits per mission completion once you hit level 50 like in wow?

I've got a toon I'm about to hit 50 on. I'll see if I can find out. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

Arnock wrote:So I finally managed to ding 50 last night on my shadow on corellia!

Now, I wasn't really paying too close attention to the amount of credits that I was earning from missions when I was leveling, do you get additional credits per mission completion once you hit level 50 like in wow?

No not really. There are some quick daily quests that give 7kish credits, but I don't think normal quests give money in lieu of exp.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Aanar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:20 am

crazyharry wrote:But that isn't much of a surprise, the latest (player gathered) data* I have seen showed the average server having more Sith Inquisitors than the Republic has players

Where did you find this data? I've been curious. I wonder how much influence the name of the AC (advanced class) has had on player's descions. I see a lot more commandos than vanguards and a lot more gunslingers than scoundrels. Commando and gunslinger just seem cooler maybe.

I do find it a bit silly in a warzone when the whole other team seems like they're inquisitors. All red sabers and lightning shooting everywhere. heh.

Kinda like how imps complain they usually get huttball, they should make a free for all warzone just for inquisitors and call it, "There can only be one" so at least I can be shot by bullets instead of lightning for once. :?
Aanar

Postby crazyharry » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:27 am

Aanar wrote:
crazyharry wrote:But that isn't much of a surprise, the latest (player gathered) data* I have seen showed the average server having more Sith Inquisitors than the Republic has players

Where did you find this data? I've been curious. I wonder how much influence the name of the AC (advanced class) has had on player's descions. I see a lot more commandos than vanguards and a lot more gunslingers than scoundrels. Commando and gunslinger just seem cooler maybe.

I do find it a bit silly in a warzone when the whole other team seems like they're inquisitors. All red sabers and lightning shooting everywhere. heh.

It was a post on the official forums. Some interested (or possibly very bored) guy was doing /who {class} in each zone and discounting people who appeared in more than one zone. His figures are quite rough, with Inquisitors being the least accurate as they would often max out the /who result.

I have to my surprise found myself in a lot of Republic vs Republic Hutball recently. Then I went to Ilum and found the Imps, it was like a sea of red names. They seem to have decided Ilum zerging is more profitable than WZs (and at the rate you gain valor if you have all the objectives it is certainly a good way of skipping the initial pain of no gear vs battlemasters)
crazyharry

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm not surprised the inquisitor is popular, through advanced classes it can play every role, so it is an option for everyone. The population imbalance is annoying.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Gracerath » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:14 am

I just want to say I really enjoy the 10-49 pvp bracket. It really is nice when everyone is on mostly even footing with gear/bolster buff. I was playing a bit as my Lvl 24 Guardian and got a good chunk of wins. I even got a few MVP votes/wins :O It brings back some memories of WAR where being a tank was actually fun in pvp. Voidstar is my favorite.

I REALLY want to buy the level 40 pvp set for JK, it looks awesome. But that is also over a thousand commendations and I dunno if I should just buy them or try to save for real pvp gear for when I hit 50 (bags and what not). I'll probably just end up getting the level 40 set because boy, the purple pvp sets for JK's is ... ugly. It sure would be nice if there was a bit easier set of pvp gear with the pvp stat (I forget what it is, expertise?) for starter level 50's instead of having to go against a bunch that have already farmed that shit and have a pretty big leg up over you. Maybe a blue set or some enhancements and mods that give maybe up to 1/2 the effectiveness of the real pvp gear so you don't get crushed right out of the gate. I brought my level 50 commando that actually has 4 or so pieces of pvp gear and he gets his pantaloons rocked pretty hard (though that could just be a case of fail on my part. I'm not great)

I still haven't seen the end of Ilum or the final flashpoints to go along with it, nor have I done a hard mode flashpoint. Two of my friends have quit (tank / healer duo) so I've decided to tank myself and drag along my other friend who has two healers in her stable. We're leveling the JK and her commando up together. Maybe by the time we both hit 50, there will be some sort of server LFG system in place.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby crazyharry » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 am

Get the level 40 set, it is well worth it as you can upgrade the mods as you level.
You can max out your commendations over a weekend easily and the change to Champion Bags happened during this weeks patch so getting your starter PVP set is now a much smoother process.

If you play smart and max your commendations pre 50 you can get 14 Champion Bags on your first day of 50 PVP (1 carried over from levelling, 5 from commendations, 6 from 2 x weekly (WZ and Ilum) 2 x Daily (WZ and Ilum)) This will net you 210 Centurion Commendations and 98 Champion Commendations.
Even If you get the most expensive items available this will put you at approximatley 4% expertise, which is about the level you stop running around holding a sign that says 'FREE KILL' in big neon letters.
Also, if you max your ls/ds, get 2 x +43 Endurance relics from your friendly local ls/ds vendor until you get the expertise ones. Unless you have a good economy on your server and can get the crafted +53s for a good price.
Stealthers love to ambush people with low health.
crazyharry

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games