Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Paxen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Jabari wrote:
Paxen wrote:I opened my second Legendary today! I now have two Malygos...

Oh wow, that's awful. I guess you get the epic of your choice, but that's still really unfortunate. :(

I could use a couple of Ancients of Lore, yeah. And 400 dust is way better than the common card it replaced, so it's not too bad. Still a sucky feeling, especially as I've considered dusting my first copy more than once...
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

For some reason I've started really liking Hunter arena. I find I'm picking it whenever I get the chance. Doesn't always work out so well.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:For some reason I've started really liking Hunter arena. I find I'm picking it whenever I get the chance. Doesn't always work out so well.

I made one deck that had the option for four UtH... Only picked up the first two and passed on the other two because I was worried about not having card draw and something else (got the Buzzard in place of one and forget what the other pickup was.) After playing the deck, I wish I'd picked up at least a third one... would've been fun.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 am

Down to the line, my Zoolock vs a Hunter - I was dead next turn, he had 5 hp and I had soulfire (no minions on the board). I Life Tap for...a Leper Gnome. Dammit, that can't attack! But wait...

Mortal Coil the Gnome, and he deathrattles the hunter to death :D
Paxen

Postby Kai » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 am

KysenMurrin wrote:For some reason I've started really liking Hunter arena. I find I'm picking it whenever I get the chance. Doesn't always work out so well.

if hunter only had a reasonable hero power, it would be 2nd only to mage in arena. the class cards are so good, multishot, unleash, deadly shot, kill command, huntmaster, animal companion and I probably forgot some. that the hero power doesn't really do anything on turn 2 if you don't have a minion is a huge blow though. but after a lot of other class cards got nerfed over time, hunter is definitely one of the better ones now. while it was clearly the worst when beta was released.
Kai

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

New Druid card from the Curse of Naxxramas adventure set:

4 mana, Poison Seeds: Destroy all minions and summon 2/2 Treants to replace them.

Hard removal is one of Druid's weak points, but that's a hell of a downside. Still, probably a good card - better than Twisting Nether.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jabari » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:56 am

Hmm, that's pretty awful removal, really. Their new trees get to act before yours do, which is a real problem. Useless against rush/zoo decks too.

Fun combo with Soul of the Forest though. *laugh*

When I had first started playing, I somehow quickly opened up 2 Lightwells in the first few packs that I got. Thought that it was a pretty cool card - here's my current priest deck: (have a Win 5 Priest/Warlock quest right now)

(All one-ofs are things I only have one of right now.)

1: 2*Cleric, 2*Inner Fire, 2*PW:S, 2*Smite
2: 2*Sunfury Protector, 2*Lightwell, 2*SW:P
3: 1*Demolisher, 1*Acolyte of Pain, 2*SW:D
4: 2*Yeti, 2*Tazdingo
5: 2*Guru-Berserker, 1*Auctioneer, 2*Holy Nova
6: 1*Temple Enforcer
10: 2*MC

My observations/questions:
- The Acolyte is not really useful, I want a second Demolisher there.
- I don't have any Injured Blademasters at all. Not sure if those are better than Taz/Yeti without CoH in the deck anyway.
- Auctioneer vs Drake? I want a 2nd one of one of those. Tons of spells for the Auctioneer, and a turn 6 Auctioneer + PW:S is pretty amusing. Also need to figure out what to remove for it.
- Yes, there are two MCs. The second is an experiment right now (and was very, very good last night vs a control warrior - took a Sunwalker, and then a Hogger two turns later).

Ideas/comments?
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Shamora » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Hearthstone Arena Stats - (Old) 2014
Server: PVP US Barthilas, Horde - <Tribo>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 100 Combat/Subtlety Rogue
Server: PVE US Nagrand/Caelestrasz, Alliance - <Chivalry>
Main: Crusader Shamora, Lvl 100 Protection Paladin
Shamora

Postby Jabari » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

hahaha so true.

Actually, the priest deck up there handles warlock zoo just fine. Warrior zoo on the other hand (stupid Warsong Commanders)...
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:53 am

I decided to just join the crowd and try zoo Warlock. And I lost. Repeatedly. Sigh.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:55 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I decided to just join the crowd and try zoo Warlock. And I lost. Repeatedly. Sigh.

Maybe your rank is too low? I tried it around rank 15, to great success. Lower than that I lost - I think Doomguards are a key piece I'm missing. Zoo plays so many cards that the Warlock cards that force you to discard get even better.

I'm intrigued by zoo Warrior. Warsong Commander sounds great in the zoo shell, but what do you do for card draw?
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm playing it around rank 9/10, losing to Hunter and Druid, plus pretty much anything control that comes up.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 am

Wow. I went back to an old, mostly-for-fun Shaman deck that has loads of taunt and big minions (key piece: Molten Giants), and I am destroying it on the ladder. 5 win streak right now. Seems to be particularly brutal against Hunter, even when you build up a board, thanks to the taunt.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jabari » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Hmm, why Moltens instead of Earth Ele (if you want something big like that)?

Have gone from 14 to 10 in about 10 games with the shaman deck. I don't have EE, and I'm trying it now with Taz (instead of DoA, I like the bigger body), Knife Juggler, and Squire (cause Nebu runs them). Only have one MTT, using an Auctioneer in the other "card draw" spot.

Also opened a Black Knight, which has already single-handedly won me one game - stupid broken card.

It's a nice, cheap deck other than the TBK though - no other legendaries/epics at all. Don't have Bloodmage, and I don't know that I'd run it even if I did. (Had a Kobold for a while, and never had a situation where Kobold->LS would have mattered.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Earth Elemental is far too expensive. 5 mana then locking 3 the next turn leaves you crippled if you're trying to swing a match against aggro.

This isn't really a good deck, mind you. I was surprised at winning so many matches with it.

I created this deck pretty much by taking an old one I played with and deciding to just throw in more big minions. Maybe I can get some advice on turning it into a useful anti-rush deck. Here's the current list:

Earth Shock x 2
Lightning Bolt x 2
Rockbiter x 2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Flametongue Totem x 1
Stormforged Waraxe x 1
Sunfury Protector x 2
Feral Spirit x 2
Hex x 2
Lightning Storm x 2
Mana Tide Totem x 2
Defender of Argus x 2
Azure Drake x 2
Cairne Bloodhoof
Fire Elemental x 2
Ragnaros
Alexstrasza
Molten Giant x 2

The key parts for what I want to do are the Molten Giants and Alexstrasza, plus the taunt givers - they enable a big late game swing versus Hunter and Zoo. Cairne I can probably do without.

I have the Flametongue in there partly because this has very weak early game, so I think improving early game is where I need to focus.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jabari » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 am

And here I would think that a 7/8 taunting monster on turn 5 would be good against aggro ;)

Against control, not so much as that overload really hurts if they can remove it right away.

If you're weak early game, Unbound Elemental goes a long way to solving that. You almost certainly want the 2nd Flametongue too. Of course, all of that makes the deck look pretty much like all the other Shaman decks - I guess there's a reason for that. *shrug* Could try Ancient Watcher with the 4 taunt-givers. *shrug*

Getting a little frustrated with the mid-range/trapless hunter deck. Not missing the traps or bow necessarily, it just feels really weak and/or slow if you don't get Animal Companion right away. Nothing else good at all for that 3-slot and I just feel that I lose control of the board completely. Buzzard/UtH/Timber/Hyena etc all feel too much like "combo" cards to me and I might be just waiting too long to try to get all that out at once. Really, really wish the Grizzly were 2/4 instead of 3/3. :( Haven't tried Jungle Panther yet - it's a body that might actually stick around for Houndmaster after, and is good with Tundra Rhino. Hmm...

(On the other hand, I've been pretty impressed by the Snapjaw in this deck so far. It usually DOES stick around to be Houndmaster-ed, and can 2-for-1 a lot of stuff even without it.)
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:05 pm

New Paladin Secret from the Curse of Naxxramas adventure, and it's a pretty damn powerful one:

Avenge: 1 mana, When one of your minions dies, give a friendly minion +3/+2.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Risky though. If you only got 1 minion on board, or your board gets AoEd, it essentially does nothing.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Wow, that's really strong. Remember that you can't trigger them on your turn anymore, so you have to have at least 2 things out.

On the other hand, this combo's super well with the other secret that drops a 2/1 out to defend.

The buff is to a random minion i assume?
Jabari

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Would think so as no secrets allows you to choose what to proc on (it's always random or aoe)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 01, 2014 12:28 am

What happened to all the Warlocks? I played for an hour last night and didn't see a single one. I was even able to go back to playing my Warrior. Maybe it's just coincidence, but seemed odd.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jabari » Thu May 01, 2014 5:43 am

They're all playing Hunter now.

(Which sucks for the Shaman deck. I did horrible last night, went from 9 down to 11).

Edit: Played a bunch of games with the shaman deck last night. 90% vs hunter. Lost a number of games where I was outdrawn by 10+ cards. Disgusting.
Jabari

Postby Nakama » Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 pm

What websites do y'all consider the most accurate/timely for the metagame in Hearthstone? I'm just getting into having a decent number of cards, so I want to see if I can build some of the more popular decks. For example, the Hunters people are complaining about: Do they run the same general deck or are there different iterations that work?

Thanks for any responses! :) I appreciate y'all talking in this thread. :)

--Jed
Nakama

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat May 03, 2014 3:03 pm

I've never been too good at keeping up with the meta. I generally check out Hearthpwn, IHearthU, and LiquidHearth, but the meta I mostly only know whant I'm seeing when I play.

As for Hunters, for a while there was one particular deck they almost all ran which was completely to-the-face, but it was losing to Warrior. Then they started mostly running Savannah Highmane and Scavenging Hyena instead of traps, which Warrior had trouble with. But since the reset things seem to have gone a bit crazy, Warlocks have disappeared and I'm seeing all kinds of different Hunter decks.

On another topic, I've been having fun with this Mage deck I threw together. It's not amazing, but it's fun. I was struggling with it for a long time before I realised I needed Ice Block to make it work.

Arcane Missiles x 2
Ice Lance x 2
Mirror Image x 2
Mana Wyrm x 2
Arcane Explosion x 2
Frostbolt x 2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Sorceror's Apprentice x 2
Arane Intellect x 2
Ice Block x 2
Acolyte of Pain x 1
Fireball x 2
Polymorph x 2
Leeroy Jenkins
Gadgetzan Auctioneer x 1
Flamestrike x 1
Archmage Antonidas
Alexstrasza
Pyroblast x 1

[Edit: Since posting I have replaced the Gadgetzan Auctioneer with a Coldlight Oracle. Cheaper, guaranteed 2 cards drawn, and leaves more small spells to combo with Antonidas. I also removed Acolyte of Pain for Black Knight, because Ancient of War, Sunwalker, and Houndmaster are all over the meta.]

You either get a great early game going with Mana Wyrms, Sorceror's Apprentice, and Mirror Image, or you spend a lot of the game just surviving and keeping things clear until you can stall for a few turns of big burst. One of my favourite things is following a Hunter's Unleash the Hounds with Leeroy + Arcane Explosion.

It could probably be improved upon, mainly around the card draw cards - I'm not sure which way to go. Used to have two Auctioneers, two Acolytes, and two Azure Drakes before I added the Ice Blocks, Pyroblast, and Leeroy. That version had great draw (I once ran out of cards while my opponent had 15 left) but poor reach.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Sun May 04, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Sat May 03, 2014 4:25 pm

My hunter and warlock decks have gone bad after the reset. The hunter deck was never anything special, but the zoo deck was pretty good (if unoriginal).

My rogue deck is still going strong. It loses some games to bad draws and combo locks, ie all my cards are combo cards and I got too few ways to get them rolling (using Eviscerate to trigger combo hurts...)

But often it ticks along nicely. Is 18 damage from hand on turn 6 good?
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games