Considering upgrading video card

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Considering upgrading video card

Postby Koatanga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 am

Thels wrote:
Koatanga wrote:For example, if you were to add an SSD to improve load times, none of them will run at full speed on the Socket-775 platform. That's why I upgraded from my Q8400. It seriously annoyed me to have an SSD operating at around 20% of its potential.

I actually did upgrade to an SSD not too long ago, and that did quite wonders. Totally not regretting that choice. :)

Ceretainly it'll be faster than traditional hard drive, but your bios simply can't deliver what it needs to really sing.

Here's a comparison of before and after my MB/CPU change, using Samsung Magician's benchmarks:

Code: Select all
                          Socket 775   Socket 1150
Random Read (IOPS):          7200         74600
Random Wtite (IOPS):        20338         19273
Sequential Read (MB/s):       242           549
Sequential Write (MB/s):      138           141

As you can see, random read was massively choked by the 775 Bios. That's not a typo; it really is 10x faster. Even sequential read is twice as fast. I really didn't want to spend the money for the MB/CPU upgrade, because it was for both my wife's machine and mine, so I searched for a 775 MB that could fully support the SSD. It simply doesn't exist.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Re: Considering upgrading video card

Postby Thels » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:40 am

Possibly, but it was noticeably faster in an order of magnitude. Even though I wasn't getting the max out of it, it surely was one heck of a performance improvement.
ImageImage
Thels

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff