Remove Advertisements

3D Vision

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

3D Vision

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 am

Hi there, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with 3D Vision.
I'm wondering about the appeal on the long term. In every review I've seen of it, the journos are always all "this is amazing I love it !!!" but I'm wondering if it stays interesting after the novelty has worn off ; if it's something you keep using all the time when you're gaming. Is it good for WoW ? (I'm guessing I'd turn off for raiding)

My situation is that my current screen stopped working so I'm looking at the options to replace it, and the 3D displays look like some pretty solid options.
Is the expense worth it ?

Also I already have a Blu-ray player, so it could be used for movies too, though I haven't been impressed with what I've seen at the theaters.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Re: 3D Vision

Postby Rimm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 am

My experiance of it is that although it does work, it is more of a gimmick than a long term viable play option. A number of things irritated me, the curser always stayed in the forground, mening that clicking on things at a distance was a quite disconcerting. The situations where the 3d can really work well as an advantage are situations where you are flying around, EG the flying dps on the Alysrazor fight.
Personally I now hardly ever use it : /
Rimm

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 am

If you want to spend 150 bucks on something you will probably use twice and then never again, go ahead. Plus you could also get headaches from straining your eyes for longer periods of time.

Personally I think it is a gimmick that needs to go DIAF soon, it is nothing more than a way to get even more money out of the punter's pockets.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Era » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 am

Pyrea wrote:...Personally I think it is a gimmick that needs to go DIAF soon, it is nothing more than a way to get even more money out of the punter's pockets.

This. And for me, that goes for the cinema version of it too. Aaaand to be honest, motion control. In my opinion, these things just aren't developed enough yet to actually be worthwhile. I feel their use takes me out of the experience more than drawing me in, and that too many games/movies are using it "just to use it" instead of thinking about whether there's actually any point. :|

/vent
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby culhag » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:00 am

As an update, since I had to replace my screen fast, and I'd had some positive advice elsewhere, I went ahead and bought an Acer 24'' 120 Hz screen.

I'm still with my radeon 5850, though, so no 3D yet. I bought it less than a year ago and it's still quite good, so I'll wait the next generation to change my graphic card.

The 120 Hz refresh rate by itself isn't as impressive as I'd heard. It's a nice plus in some games (like Beat.Trip.Beat), but most don't render that fast anyway.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Return to Tech Stuff