Graphics Card Question

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Graphics Card Question

Postby gibborim » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 pm

knaughty wrote:Yeah, those graphics cards, we should talk about those.

Yea, it sounds like his work is providing machines to work on. He also seems to have some level of need for gaming hardware. He just finished school, so he is probably somewhere in the spectrum of poor.

Building a PC seems like a good choice. You can always make it into a Hackintosh if you decide OSX is the best thing ever at work.
gibborim

Postby laterna » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I agree with Gibborim's advice too. If he is getting supplied a mac from work, there is no reason to get another mac for your house needs. Especially for a newly postgraduate student, who most likely cannot afford the premium.
laterna

Postby knaughty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 am

gibborim wrote: You can always make it into a Hackintosh if you decide OSX is the best thing ever at work.

Just make sure you buy the right hardware. OSX only supports stuff that Apple have shipped.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby laterna » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 pm

After crusading against the forces of the Macs, I come home today to find out that my GPU is somewhat fucked.

Some screen tearing in games now, an occasional stutter too. Run unigine and it just went ballistics on it.

Oh well, I was going to send the motherboard in for a replacement this month anyway, might as well send the GPU too.
laterna

Postby knaughty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 am

See, you have angered the Mac gods and they have smote thee with great smoting.

- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby laterna » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:20 am

It just upsets me at times that I get unlucky at times with hardware... 570 are known to have bad VRM's. I'll just try and see if I can bargain OC.UK to send me a 580 (with me covering the extra $$)
laterna

Postby tlitp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:26 pm

laterna wrote:570 are known to have bad VRM's.

The reference design's VRM of both 570/580 is undersized (4+2 phases for 570, 6+2 phases for 580), go for custom implementations : Asus DirectCU II (both 570/580) or the upcoming Matrix Platinum (only 580), MSI Lightning (only 580), the upcoming Gigabyte Super Overclock (both 570/580).
tlitp

Postby laterna » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 am

Never heard about the undersizing in phase voltage, but I know for a fact that 570/590 both have a history of bad VRM's...

Anyway, I've started my process of going down the long and lonely road of RMA's... hopefully I can convince eVGA to step me up to a 580
laterna

Postby isiz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:13 pm

So, wow, I didn't expect to start a big Mac VS PC thread...

Anyway, it has been mentioned a few times in this thread that making a Mac partition on a PC would be illegal. Why is that? Is it just impossible to buy an OSX license w/o also buying a Mac attached to the license?
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby Talaii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 pm

isiz wrote:So, wow, I didn't expect to start a big Mac VS PC thread...

Anyway, it has been mentioned a few times in this thread that making a Mac partition on a PC would be illegal. Why is that? Is it just impossible to buy an OSX license w/o also buying a Mac attached to the license?

OSX won't let you install unless it detects you are using an apple motherboard, basically. There are methods of getting around it, but it's a process more akin to rooting a phone than just installing an operating system.

I'm not sure how legal it is, but there are many sites dedicated to getting it working; but it is a lot more work than just "put in disk, install OS".
Talaii

Postby knaughty » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:56 pm

isiz wrote:So, wow, I didn't expect to start a big Mac VS PC thread...

All new Macs come with the latest version of the OS. You can also buy OSX on it own - it's quite cheap in comparison to Windows - US$129 ($199 for a 5-pack which is exactly the same as the 1-pack.... Still sells well, apparently). You just can't legally install it on anything except a Mac: Apple's copyright and licence conditions prohibit installing OSX on anything except an Apple-manufactured computer.

And yes, it has been tested in court and was found to be valid.

In addition to the legal restriction, the only copy protection on the OSX DVDs is code to detect whether you're trying to install on an Apple manufactured PC. There's no serial codes, re-installation restrictions or tracking - Apple seem to have the opinion that all piracy-prevention crap does is annoy your paying customers while not preventing piracy. Even the "restore" CDs that come with new Macs can mostly be used as general purpose OS X installation CDs.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:32 am

knaughty wrote:
Panzerdin wrote:Oh, and Thunderbolt is useless because it isn't any faster than USB 3 for practical purposes: only the very highest of high-end SSDs can actually read/write fast enough for anyone to notice a difference.

Typical WinTel bigot argument.

lol, hypocrite much?

I love my MacBook Pro, I do have to run fusion for a few things though which is a pain. I doubt I'd buy a PC based laptop anytime soon though. In the laptop department, the MacBooks are decent buys because you can't as easily build your own laptop. Apple uses pretty good quality components, better than I'd trust from most PC manufacturers. At the desktop level though, they are pretty bad buys, you can likely build a PC with better specs for nearly half the cost.

My generation Macbook Pro does have a cooling problem and WoW is enough to get it running really hot. It's fairly rare that it would actually cause a problem though, and I believe that's been resolved with the current generation.

knaughty wrote:
Android isn't even open anymore, once Google decided it should be closed.

Actually Android is still open, and I don't think Apple wants to get into a good corporate citizen argument with Google. Hell the last couple of years, Apple has made even Microsoft look like good guys.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby gibborim » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:11 am

Fridmarr wrote:
knaughty wrote:

Actually Android is still open, and I don't think Apple wants to get into a good corporate citizen argument with Google. Hell the last couple of years, Apple has made even Microsoft look like good guys.

Android 3.0's code is not being released for the foreseeable future.

Gates has always been the good guy. Most people just focus on the brutal, monopolistic business practices he used in order to make more money to give to charity/solve world problems.
gibborim

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:25 am

gibborim wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:
knaughty wrote:

Android 3.0's code is not being released for the foreseeable future.

Gates has always been the good guy. Most people just focus on the brutal, monopolistic business practices he used in order to make more money to give to charity/solve world problems.

It'll be released when it's ready.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/ ... oment.html
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 pm

It'll be released when it's ready.

That's what they said about Duke Nukem.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Stuff