SSD System Drives

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: SSD System Drives

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I would check out ocz vertex 3 pro, if you want one of the best.

Vrimmel

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks for the Anandtech link. The last time I looked at SSDs, anandtech was gushing about the SandForce controller. It looks like they still are to some degree; in overall performance, it certainly seems strong. Especially the unreleased OCZ V3P.

Just to make sure I'm following, the reason that you all favor the C300 is its immense advantage in random read performance, which is important for WoW, right? The reason I'm asking is that in my case, the drive will be the generic system drive holding Windows 7 and a couple programs, but not a lot else. I already have WoW on a separate SSD, and have several large traditional hard drives for media/documents/backups/etc. I'm not sure if that changes the priorities; I could see random writes being fairly important for a system drive.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby 99sitr » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm running a RAID 0 setup with SSD's for my primary drive which has the OS and a few games. I have been out of the loop for some bit but my setup is a great performer out of the box. It consists of 2 Intel X25M's 60GB versions in RAID 0, here is the initial testing I did on them.

For reference here is the other array in the rig (2 WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 640GB drives)

99sitr

Postby Treck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Got myself a Corsair SSD Force 120gig.
Was thinking of "only" getting a 60gig, but with win7 taking about 18gig, and wow about 25gig, i didnt feel like running with 17gig of "free" space to be "free" enough (actually only 13gig, as 60gig on paper, is about 55gig on a drive).
One game and some programs, and your maxed out on thatone.
120gig might be a bit on the other side, beeing a bit more than you actually need.
I guess 80 would have worked for me, but i didnt find a good one at a good price tbh, and corsair's SSD are really solid in performance.

I did some testing with starting wow from different drives, and what i really noticed was that the SSD was really only superior in loading stuff the first time.
2nd time you logg into a place youve been at before, a lot of the neccesary data is stored in the RAM, making the 2nd loadingscreen very fast with a regular HDD, and not really much improovement from an SSD.
SSD and RAM are practicly the same thing, thus SSD makes it as load as fast as if the data was allready stored in the RAM.

Optimal is obviously to have wow on your SSD, but running your OS on your SSD and wow on a regular HDD wont be that bad (if you dont have a big enough SSD to have wow on it).
First time loading screens were faster with SSD/HDD (OS on SSD, wow on HDD) combo, than only HDD, but it was still a lot slower than only SSD.
SSD/HDD combo takes away maybe 1/4th of the loading time, pure SSD removes 3/4ths.
If you would have wow on your SSD and your OS on a regular HDD, wow WILL load pretty much as fast as if they were both on the SSD (give or take 10-20% time, thats about 1-2sec more).
So if you cant have both OS and WOW on the same drive, having wow on your SSD will give it the fastest loading times, BUT id strongly suggest having your OS on your SSD, since even if your using wow A LOT, your not gonna load that ofthen, but your going to feel a differance EVERY time you do anything with your OS if its located at the SSD.

From startup pressing the "power on" button on my computer, to me beeing logged in on wow, it took me 5min and 34sec (334sec) with my old WinXP x64 that I installed in november 2009, so the computer is pretty loaded with useless crap that for sure slows it down a lot more than it has to (about 3min of those were between clicking the wow logo, and untill the login screen actually showed up).
With a newly formated ssd drive with win7 and only wow on it, it took 63sec from pressing "power on", and me beeing online in wow.

Dunno if this is helpfull for anyone, but i personally felt it was worth the testing.
Treck

Postby 99sitr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

SSD's are great for the OS and other routinely accessed programs. I keep everything but mass media on my main array. This summer I will probably pull the ASUS MB out of my system and get a newer one that supports 6gbs SATA, then move to a slightly larger array of SSD's that support 6gbs.

Testing my rig, coldboot to loading the AH is 46 seconds
99sitr

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 am

In my case, I'm looking to make the system a little snappier. My WoW SSD is too small to be a very functional system drive, so I can't easily swap them. The plan is to put the system on the new 6GB/s SSD and keep WoW on the 3GB/s SSD. I have more than enough larger HDDs for storage and other programs. I think I'll still put some of the slower-loading ones on the system drive though (Adobe, for example, maybe MATLAB).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby laterna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:11 am

The only problem with SSD's, on the SB UD7 board from gigabyte the boot is so fast, I can't always make it to boot menu :/

In any way, theck, keep in mind as with any new tech wait for proper reviews to come out before buying anything! If you want my suggestion, TimeToLiveCustoms on youtube makes the best reviews (man never lies), anandtech is also good although they have a record of exaggerating stuff for more views (The whole "board melting" on SB thing)

Also, make sure whatever you buy has TRIM support (Look for it, and make sure its there, its not always present) otherwise you're looking for a exponential decay graph in regards to your perfomance
laterna

Postby Rachmaninoff » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm

man I feel like an idiot buying a raptor drive 6-8 months ago :(

I've heard that SSD's have batteries or limited times you can write to it but its like 10mil times or something, thus why people are just using them as boot drives, but are either of those true?
Rachmaninoff

Postby gibborim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:man I feel like an idiot buying a raptor drive 6-8 months ago :(

I've heard that SSD's have batteries or limited times you can write to it but its like 10mil times or something, thus why people are just using them as boot drives, but are either of those true?

The limited write 'issue' is not really relevant. When individual bits (or 2/4/8-bit blocks, depending on the drive architecture) go bad (edit: by bad, I mean you can no longer write to that spot, not that you have lost any data whatsoever), the SSD notes that and ignores them. It would take literally years of 24/7, full speed writing to bring the drive to anything comparable to a failure point.

Also, there isn't a specific write limit. A cell doesn't get to (for example) 10,000 writes and just die, write limits are statistical estimations of how long it will take something like 5% of a batch of cells to go bad.
Last edited by gibborim on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gibborim

Postby gibborim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:54 am

cerwillis wrote:Yeah, but the newer crucials are great apparently, like This One. Funny enough, I browsed drives for about an hour yesterday, and newegg sent me a special "shopping helper" email today with an ad for exactly the drive I wanted.

That is the drive you want, or the 256gb version the same company makes.

Benchmarks on high-end Hard Drives: http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

I assume you know this, but for the love of god, make sure you have a SATA III connection on your motherboard and you hook your SSD up to it.
gibborim

Postby cerwillis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 am

I tried, but I couldn't tell what CCA referred to on the 2nd of these, so I bought the one with CCA for $5 more.

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 $264.99
and
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA $269.99

I don't currently have a SATA III port, so I'll have to settle for 3GB/s until I replace my mobo and chip, which are next on the list. Cards are $35 and I'd just as soon put that towards the new board.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Treck wrote:
I did some testing with starting wow from different drives, and what i really noticed was that the SSD was really only superior in loading stuff the first time.
2nd time you logg into a place youve been at before, a lot of the neccesary data is stored in the RAM, making the 2nd loadingscreen very fast with a regular HDD, and not really much improovement from an SSD.
SSD and RAM are practicly the same thing, thus SSD makes it as load as fast as if the data was allready stored in the RAM.

Well no, SSDs and RAM aren't really even close, RAM is way faster. However, you are correct that when stuff is already in memory the type of hard drive you have won't really matter that much.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby gibborim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 pm

cerwillis wrote:I tried, but I couldn't tell what CCA referred to on the 2nd of these, so I bought the one with CCA for $5 more.

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 $264.99
and
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA $269.99

I don't currently have a SATA III port, so I'll have to settle for 3GB/s until I replace my mobo and chip, which are next on the list. Cards are $35 and I'd just as soon put that towards the new board.

From a cursory examination of the listings, the one with CCA at the end seems to come with the SATA to USB interface and HDD cloning software to make replacing the system HDD easier. Without a SATA III connection, it almost doesn't matter what you get today, more storage will always be cheaper tomorrow.
gibborim

Postby cerwillis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Well, I got the drive in one day from the Egg, and it's a total success! I used the cloning software and cable included and it was imaged in one hour. I got only 1 read error, but the software still claimed that it failed. I put the drive in and it booted up fine and everything works.

After doing the tweaks that are on the guide from the first page, It boots to desktop in 46 seconds, though most of that is my old board's POST, and includes me logging in. That is roughly 1 minute off of the boot time on the standard drive. I can then get to SW in 1 minute 7 seconds after that. I don't have a time from the old drive, and it also includes login and authenticator use.

I would totally encourage people that have even basic hardware knowledge to try this if its in your budget. The best thing is, you don't mess up your old drive, so it's pretty idiot-proof.

Cheers,
Willis
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby laterna » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm

cerwillis wrote:Success

Good to see you migrated everything properly. Personally, I'd reckomend you format everything, do a fresh instand and just measure everything then... I kinda love formating everything its a nice process :)

Although, I did kinda download 200gb worth of games and updates for everything last time I formatted...

Anyway, grats on your SSD, now on to your motherboard/CPU upgrade!
laterna

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Stuff