No fair, WoW got an upgrade. I want one too!

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

No fair, WoW got an upgrade. I want one too!

Postby Levantine » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 am

So I need to upgrade my PC. No doubt about it, but I can't really afford to do it all at once, thankfully my PSU and GPU are both still serviceable for a little while longer, so I can focus on the main issue. My archaic Core2Duo @ 1.86GHz. Basically it makes me want to slit my wrists with the horror of it, and while I'm sure I could overclock it a bit, I doubt it's worth the trouble. Anyway, I was looking around and I stumbled across this deal and was wondering if it was an alright buy?

Intel i5 760 + ASRock P55 Extreme4 + 4GB XMS3 DDR3 1600 > $535

From what I've heard, the 760 overclocks quite nicely, which I'd probably end up doing when I buy a decent cooling system (read: water, because where I live is dumb). I have no experience with ASRock though, all my mobo's have been FOXCONN or Gigabyte in the past. Also, this is AU$, and it wouldn't surprise me if people think it's obscenely expensive because Australia's pretty dumb like that.
Levantine

Re: No fair, WoW got an upgrade. I want one too!

Postby degre » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 am

I think I've read you in the other thread saying you dont mind amd/intel, if that's the case I'll suggest going AMD and enjoying their new hex core, AMD Phenom x6 1055, same cost of the i5, same clock, 2 extra cores.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:40 pm

In general i5 performs better than the amd processor for each Hz. Counting the number og Hz was outdated years ago. 6 cores? You rarely need that many. There aren't any games out there that can utilize more than 3, and I don't think wow uses more than 1 core.

Here is a nice hierarchy chart for CPUs. i5 760 is in top tier, while the 1055 is in the 3rd.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bes ... 791-6.html

I don't know how well it clocks, but my i7 950 runs stable at 4.18 ghz and comes at 3.07 from factory. I'm pretty sure you could easily get 20-25% out of it.

I find that the main bottleneck in my system is my GPU. I'm using a Radeon HD6870 now and I'm not completely happy with it in highly populated areas when everything is on max (including the settings that aren't maxed by dragging the bar to ultra).
Last edited by Vrimmel on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vrimmel

Postby Levantine » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Yeah, I've been doing some research since I kinda wanna get a decent bang for my buck which tends towards the i5 at this point. All my sources have said that the i5 has great OC headroom (4.0+ easy apparently), so it seems to be a decent cpu to last for a few years. Hooray! New CPU (at some point in the near future when I'm not lazy)!
Levantine

Postby tlitp » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Go for 2500K in about a month. Comparing apples to apples (clock/clock and core/core), Sandy Bridge will be 15-20% faster than Lynnfield, on average. Some previews : [1], [2].
tlitp

Postby laterna » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:41 am

tlitp wrote:Go for 2500K in about a month. Comparing apples to apples (clock/clock and core/core), Sandy Bridge will be 15-20% faster than Lynnfield, on average. Some previews : [1], [2].

This. So many times this!

I'm on the same boat as you in terms of updating my gaming rig. Although my budges is far bigger than yours 2k uk pounds, I'm still waiting for Sandy Brigde to pop. Initially I had aspired to go for an i7 980x/ramp3/580/domGT's for my pc, however, I've decided to drop down to the best motherboard/gpu/ram I can buy for the 1155 board, and get the 2600K intel processor. I'll use the remaining cash to buy myself a proper watercooling loop and make my pc worthwile, also while investing in a 1k branded PSU.

This way, I'll retain some forward compatibility with any possible updates that I'm looking down the road, and still get a flagship pc. Meaning, I'll be able to throw another 580GTX in there if and when I need it, or I'll just outright get a newer card etc. Also, if I see that the 2600k sandy bridge isn't up to my tasks, I'll change for the higher end ones coming around in half/one year.

Also, keep an eye out for the 69xx series coming out later this month. They postponed their release just to pass the 580GTX, so I guess that if you have the budged for it, go for the 6950. If not, I believe the 6870 is the best card out there for ya.

Do not under any circumstances buy a 480gtx. It took MSI a month to fix the fuckups of nVidia, and to make a proper cooler for it, without making you deaf while gaming. Also, it usually pulls mores Watts than a 6870, for ABOUT the same performance.
laterna

Postby Koatanga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:20 am

I recently upgraded mine, but didn't have the budget for new MB and RAM as well as processor and vid, so I stayed with the 775 platform.

I added a Core2 Quad 8400 processor and a GeForce GTS 450 vid card.

I am easily running WoW on Ultra settings.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Levantine » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:32 am

tlitp wrote:Go for 2500K in about a month. Comparing apples to apples (clock/clock and core/core), Sandy Bridge will be 15-20% faster than Lynnfield, on average. Some previews : [1], [2].

Ouuu, I might just do that.
Levantine

Postby Palisade » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 am

Why would you over-clocked a PC? Wouldn't that just burn it out?
Palisade

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 am

My spam blocker seems to be bound and bent on preventing me from seeing any emails that promise to upgrade me.

That said, I have finally gotten my new computer put together and up and running. Got the parts, did the wiring of the power supply (with a friend to double check it), and installed Windows 7 - thankfully I was able to get an student license as I am still on the books at the college.

Full tower from Thermaltake (with an extra fan, just in case)
22" ACER flatscreen
Phenom IIx4 640 Quad processor
8g of DDR-1333 memory
Radeon HD 5770 video card
etc, etc, etc

All told, it cost me about $800. All hail NewEgg and Microcenter.

In hindsight, I probably should have sprung for full-size Motherboard.
Last edited by Njall on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 am

I recently put together a new PC that ended up costing me more than I think it should have, probably because I went for both highend and good reviews on NewEgg, aaand the retail copy of Win 7. Gotta say though the 470 GTX does really well by WoW on high settings. Also SSDs are awesome.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Palisade » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm looking at putting together a piece-meal computer tower dedicate to WoW gaming. I'm no IT person, but do have some basic computer knowledge.

Are there any specific specs I should be looking for so I can run WoW on max settings? I've always had to run WoW on bare bones settings, since I started in late vanilla.

Are there guides for this sort of thing?
Palisade

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Palisade wrote:I'm looking at putting together a piece-meal computer tower dedicate to WoW gaming. I'm no IT person, but do have some basic computer knowledge.

Are there any specific specs I should be looking for so I can run WoW on max settings? I've always had to run WoW on bare bones settings, since I started in late vanilla.

Yes. Google is your friend. I found several sites that had walk-through videos of both purchasing ideas and assembly instructions - several of them on Youtube. I'll try and find some of the old links I used but, as I said, Google is your friend.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Palisade » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Njall wrote:
Palisade wrote:I'm looking at putting together a piece-meal computer tower dedicate to WoW gaming. I'm no IT person, but do have some basic computer knowledge.

Yes. Google is your friend. I found several sites that had walk-through videos of both purchasing ideas and assembly instructions - several of them on Youtube. I'll try and find some of the old links I used but, as I said, Google is your friend.

To steal someone else's quote, my google fu is not much to speak of :lol: But I'll definitely give it a round or three when I can.
Palisade

Postby laterna » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:21 pm

If you could make a budget for the computers, and the usage you're gonna put it through (be honest!) I'll be able to make a list of parts for you. Feel free to choose a site you want them (personal reckomentations for UK are aria, and newegg for US)
laterna

Next

Return to Tech Stuff