Laptop Questions

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Laptop Questions

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 am

Sabindeus wrote:
hoho wrote:
knaughty wrote:MacBook Pro.
Kind of sucks that cheapest model costs almost twice of what the OP got and the highest end at more than 3x the price still has far worse GPU and has lower CPU performance in stuff that can use more than two cores. Also, the cheaper macbooks also have smaller HDDs :P

For the price of a high-end macbook you could get a very good portable laptop and high-end desktop PC. Yea, not much mobile gaming but at least you get longer battery life and less weight from laptop while also getting far superior gaming performance :)

Yeah but you'll have a shitty laptop. <_<

At the moment it's not worth it, apple needs to update their specs on their laptops and then it probably will be again. I love my MacBook Pro and often recommend them (though they do have heat problems with gaming), but right now the specs are too far off to justify the cost.

For desktops I build my own, and having control of all the parts means I can build a high quality product for a pretty low cost. With laptops you are stuck with vendor chosen parts, and in that regard Apple is about the only vendor I trust to use quality parts across the board.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

Punkss2 wrote:
Arnock wrote:I've had more issues with my acer than with any other computer I've had. Luckily I got the warranty, because I've had to send it back to acer at least once or twice per year over the length of the warranty due to random issues that have cropped up. And once it was returned to me without the issue in question being resolved. Which is still occuring.

Would you mind specifying what kind of problems? I work in the IT field, so I feel pretty confident that I can work on the laptop if really needed, but if it's covered by warranty I will for sure use it.

Thanks!

It's been awhile, but IIRC, hard drive failure, monitor failure, and I think the motherboard and CPU went bad too.

The current issue is kinda hard to describe. With no obvious trigger, the computer seems to randomly switch to what appears to be a 256 color pallet and everything winds up looking as if someone slipped some shrooms into my CD drive.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:09 am

Fridmarr wrote:At the moment it's not worth it, apple needs to update their specs on their laptops and then it probably will be again. I love my MacBook Pro and often recommend them (though they do have heat problems with gaming), but right now the specs are too far off to justify the cost.

For desktops I build my own, and having control of all the parts means I can build a high quality product for a pretty low cost. With laptops you are stuck with vendor chosen parts, and in that regard Apple is about the only vendor I trust to use quality parts across the board.

Well that's definitely true, Apple spec updates are very cyclical. You have periods where everything is top of the line or close to it, and then periods when everything is out of date until they update again.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:At the moment it's not worth it, apple needs to update their specs on their laptops and then it probably will be again. I love my MacBook Pro and often recommend them (though they do have heat problems with gaming), but right now the specs are too far off to justify the cost.

Well that's definitely true, Apple spec updates are very cyclical. You have periods where everything is top of the line or close to it, and then periods when everything is out of date until they update again.

I really wish they'd create a line that backs off a bit on the display and for the cost tops out the processor and goes to SSD or something. Don't get me wrong, their displays are great, but I think it is actually pretty rare to get the ROI on the difference because that's such an expensive upgrade built in. I'm sitting here with a browser up and Eclipse plus a VM or two running. I don't take advantage of that display at all, but man some SSD/Ram/CPU would be a big help.

Now I can appreciate the display when I fire up WoW or something, but it wouldn't be my particular priority.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

I really wish they'd create a line that backs off a bit on the display and for the cost tops out the processor and goes to SSD or something. Don't get me wrong, their displays are great, but I think it is actually pretty rare to get the ROI on the difference because that's such an expensive upgrade built in. I'm sitting here with a browser up and Eclipse plus a VM or two running. I don't take advantage of that display at all, but man some SSD/Ram/CPU would be a big help.

Now I can appreciate the display when I fire up WoW or something, but it wouldn't be my particular priority.

well you can always shove an SSD and more RAM in yourself. My boss has a unibody from 2009 with an SSD in it and it is blazing ridiculous. Like I watched him restore a mysql db from a dump once and I was like "jesus christ you didn't even have to WAIT". Sort of sad that there's only the 2 SO-DIMM slots though. I would definitely go for a 3rd. Though I am spoiled by my 12 GBs in my Mac Pro.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby himanshu » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 am

--deleted the usual random ads bot
[worldie]
himanshu

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff