Should I upgrade or replace?

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis, laterna

Should I upgrade or replace?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:22 am

So I'm feeling like my PC is due a refresh so I can keep up with the few games I pick up*. The current one was mostly a pre-built Packard Bell I got about 5-6 years ago; three years ago I added a graphics card and moved it into a full size case with a better power supply, with the intention of eventually replacing the (micro-ATX) motherboard and processor, as I felt that'd be better than buying a whole new PC.

Now it's three years down the line and the imminent end of the free upgrade period on Windows 10 has got me thinking I need to decide if I'm going to upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM and keep everything else (and then probably upgrade to Windows 10 for free), or if I should just buy a whole new PC (which will probably come with Windows 10 preinstalled).

If I just upgrade, I'll be keeping:
- AMD Radeon HD 5700 graphics card (pretty old midrange thing)
- 500W power supply
- DVD-R
- 6+ year old HDD drive (is only half full and has not displayed any faults so far)

Since I'm replacing the motherboard I assume it'll need new RAM too. But it's probably still cheaper than a whole new PC.

Question is, is keeping that stuff and (possibly?) saving a little money worth it at all? I've got a bit of sunk cost fallacy going re: the PSU and case I bought, and I'm not sure if it'd just be superior all round to start fresh with a modern PC. For one thing I don't really know how much the CPU holds the system back vs needing a better graphics card also.

Note: I never buy top of the line, I tend to go for something like last year's best midrange.

What would you do?

*Most recent game I finished was Wolfenstein: The New Order, and while it ran, I had to keep settings low and the cutscenes were very laggy. It ran Tomb Raider 2014 fine, though...
KysenMurrin

Re: Should I upgrade or replace?

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 am

I'm not super clear on AMD GPUs but what I'm seeing is that a 5770 is roughly similar to NVidia's GTX 280 which I bought new about 6 years ago. Your GPU is definitely in need of an upgrade if so. That leaves you with a power supply and a hard drive. I'm gonna have to recommend you build a whole new PC and just jam your old HDD in there.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 am

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. I'm looking into replacing pretty much all the core hardware, now. One issue I have is I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether I can swap my HDD without having to get a fresh install of Windows. Some saying it's simple and easy, others saying it's impossible if you had a pre-installed copy.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:19 am

Welp, I ordered some parts. Just the core stuff for now, not looked at graphics yet. I guess I got lazy, because I didn't really do the thorough looking through reviews etc that I usually do. Instead, I looked at the most recent MMO-Champion setup list, put the cheapest options in the basket, and then swapped out the motherboard for a similar but even cheaper one without really looking into it much. I also didn't look at prices for a full new build PC, which I really should have (particularly if keeping Windows might fail). Hope I don't regret this!

Turns out there aren't many motherboards with nVidia chipsets these days, so I had to get something else. I might have even more issues transferring Windows, there.
KysenMurrin

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:51 pm

You will have to reinstall Windows.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:32 pm

That's what I expect at this point, yes. But I want to at least give it a go first, I'm curious if the "out of box experience" tool I've read about that strips all the drivers and settings will work.

(If it doesn't, I assume I'll have to format the HDD, which I'll be able to do through either BIOS or from a Windows install disk menu?)

Edit: So my Windows version is OEM, which will almost certainly not transfer. But it looks like there are some places that still sell OEM Windows 7 product keys for less than £20, so I could possibly reactivate with a new key if it comes to that.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:10 am

I did indeed have to reinstall Windows (spent a couple of hours trying to get the old one to boot, but no luck). Fortunately I remembered I had another HDD left over from the last PC I had, and I used that for the fresh install, which is making moving over stuff from the old install a lot easier.

Also fortunately, when I tried activating my Windows install it just worked immediately - didn't even have to phone Microsoft. It's not supposed to do that when you change mobo.

Unfortunately, after I installed the first few updates, Windows Update stopped working, and now just hangs on Checking for Updates forever. I googled and manually installed some updates that are said to fix the issue, but nothing's worked.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:46 am

They lowered the requirements for win7 activation a few years ago, and I would expect them to lower them even more soon™ with win10 being the new big deal.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 am

Ordered a graphics card now too. Spent a bit more than I'd originally planned (I'd expected to spend £60-80) and got a GTX 960 (£145), since I figure the better I buy now the longer it'll last and less I'll have to worry about games not working. I don't mind lowering the settings to run games, but this'll let me use higher settings now and stretch it much longer.

I'm thinking I should've done the same with the processor (the one I got came out a few years back), but it's too late to rethink that, and it's still a big step up from my old one.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:56 am

And now I have my graphics card. It was a pain in the ass to install, because it's huge and I had to move my HDDs into the bottom slots of the case to get them out of the way of it. I also managed to convince myself my system didn't have enough power after finding an old 380W PSU box in a cupboard, then I finally remembered I bought this case with a 500W supply included.

I'm having trouble remembering what happened to my old PC, the last one I upgraded with that 380W PSU and the other graphics card I also found in the cupboard (and which had the spare HDD I'm using). I must have given it to my parents.
As of today, the only things remaining from the prebuilt PC I replaced that last one with are the DVD drive and HDD. I'm actually considering buying a few more cheap parts and rebuilding it to sell or give away.
KysenMurrin

Return to Tech Stuff