[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby PsiVen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:44 pm

...when we once lost a tank on 4th platform, our other tank was very hard to keep up through the large adds on phase 2, he died together with them. Is a solo tank supposed to mash all cooldowns and just live through it?

You can mash all cooldowns and die to it, as long as you live long enough that the Terrors die before they kill anyone else. If you have the DPS to push a single impale, you have the DPS to push a single set of Terrors and there's no reason to bring a 2nd tank.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Darielle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:55 pm

You can also reset stacks on one tank by just being creative if you absolutely have to. Using mobility tools to kite, a healer taunting adds off and then having then taunted back, etc.

I've had to reset stacks 3 times in the one run on my Paladin. Only one involved Bubble.
Darielle

Postby Raive » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:18 pm

So does anyone ever allow the mutated corruption to hit an aspect before going in to tank it?
There's no danger of the aspect dying and it sets the impale on CD, so feasibly if you did so with a 1t/2h setting you could possibly kill it without having it get off ANY impales.
My guilds still very stubborn on wanting to 2tank/3heal it on 10 man so I havent been able to try it out >.>

Also, you can apparently BoP the tank to have him avoid taking the damage from impale. I don't know if you can taunt while bopped (honestly havent tried, perhaps I will on my next attempt) but it adds a pretty powerful extra CD if you've got 2 tanks at least.

*Edit*

We successfully downed him with 2 tanks (Prot pally, Blood DK), 3 healers (2 Holy pallies, 1 Resto Druid), 5 dps (1 fire mage, 1 destro warlock (legendary staff), 1 combat rogue, 1 shadow priest, and 1 elemental shaman)
We're geared with some H FL, and a couple weeks of DS (We normally do 25 man, but tend to stack 10 man groups for progression on our third raid night of the week)

The order we chose was GRYB, as we were having issues with bolts killing us when trying GYRB, and we popped pretty well all raid CDs, healthstones, personal damage reduction CDs, etc for the bolt on the fourth platform.

As far as tank rotations go, we had to deal with 2 impales per platform. First platform we would simply pop dream to survive impale, second platform we'd pop our Major CDs (me popping GoAK, DK popping IBF). Third Platform I bubbled, and bopped the DK. Fourth platform our major CDs were up again.

We blew BL on the fourth platform when he started casting cataclysm (we killed the first set of blistering tentacles and opted to ignore the second set and simply burn the big one down. (We chose to do this because we were constantly wiping here to missing the cata timer by about 5 seconds)

In the last phase me and the DK picked up the adds and tanked them in Noz's circle. Marked mine to be killed first, then ran to max distance and taunted off of the DK when my stacks were about to fall off, taunt tagging in this manner let us not run out of CDs for tetanus.
We stopped dps on Deathwing at 12%, and waited for the second set of adds to spawn, killed them (tentacles and the big ones) then burned Deathwing down, we had more tentacles spawn at around 4%, but ignored them, chaining raid CDs and Dream to help the healers out.

Deathwing went down with no deaths, healers around 20% mana, and me with a couple CDs left.

We did however do as much damage as possible to limb tentacles before the mutated corruptions would spawn (usually knocking them down about 10%) and aoeing the bloods down.
Raive

Postby Epimer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Our kill last night had 4 melee and 1 ranged DPS (2 tanks, 3 healers) which I thought was going to make the Bolts painful to deal with, but actually worked out fine in the end. Worth noting for any other groups which are as stupidly melee-heavy as us.
Epimer

Postby JoeBravo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 am

killed it yesterday (GRYB) with 1 tank (druid), 2 healers (druid, paladin) and half the raid dead in the end :P
dps was mage, shadowpriest, lock, hunter, feraldruid, unholyDK, frostDK
Usually had 1 impale per platform, and needed to stop dps on 4th platform every time to prevent blood and tentacles to spawn simultaniously.
On phase we 2 burned down the adds using bloodlust, accepted the tank dieing there and then nuke boss, ignoreing second wave of adds.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 am

I will also say as a plate healer that the big adds in ph2 melee for little dmg, its all the Tetanus that causes harm. With this in mind, I chain taunted an add and ping-ponged it to reduce Tetanus stacks on our Bear. I would use Righteous Defense first (think I may have momentarily had both, couldn't be certain), then once the tank had the add again I would use the single target taunt.

I did once get a stack of Tetanus (tank must've been sleeping), but the melee hit was negligible and the 1 stack wasn't bad. I think 2 stacks would have been ok but painfull even with 189k health with green buff, and 3 or more stacks would have beed really bad combined with the boss' AoE dmg.

This helped a lot as Tetanus seemed to be the most dangerous part of the encounter, and also helps me save Aura Mastery for 5%.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby warden » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:23 pm

A couple thoughts from our 10 man run:

A feral (kitty) druid or frost DK can pick up the second add and tank it until it dies pretty easily as long as that add is nuked first (maybe a hunter pet could too).

BoP can be used to allow a tank to take an extra impale. Guardian Spirit and/or Ardent Defender might also be able to.

The 3rd healer is often only for a small portion of the fight (such as an extra raid cooldown for bolt). If you're stuck on the line between needing 2 and 3, and hybrid healer (disc or resto sham with their "healer dps" talents) might be the way to go.

Our 10 man run has both 2-tanked/2-healed and 2-tanked/3-healed, and I REALLY want to try a smite spec. We've also solotanked the 4th platform and p2 after losing our 2nd tank on the 3rd and not having a rez--our feral dps pulled it off just fine.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Calleana » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 am

We had a couple of frustrating 2/3% wipes with a 1t + 1 hybrid for 2nd impale on 4th platform & 2 healers. We went GRYB for platform orders although experimented with GRBY.

On both nights we did this we had one DPS who was not quite up to the mark pulled by our other DPS (out by about 10k) in part as he is normally a healer. This meant we missed the 1 impale marker on the fourth platform which in turn made the elementium bolt on that platform really dangerous as it came at the same time as an impale. I think this fight and how you do the platforms will be modified by the set up and DPS output of the group.

In some ways as our 6th DPS was low we should perhaps have gone to 2t/3h or one of the many other varibles.

What kind of DPS are other people pulling? The DPS on the platforms was enough to get the tentacle down before the bolt appeared enough to DPS on platform 1 & 2 and very close on 3. I would post our logs but they seem buggy.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby JoeBravo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:54 am

Calleana wrote:What kind of DPS are other people pulling? The DPS on the platforms was enough to get the tentacle down before the bolt appeared enough to DPS on platform 1 & 2 and very close on 3. I would post our logs but they seem buggy.

2T/2H/6DPS, with tanks doing 25k, dps doing 37k to 46k.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Epimer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:47 am

2T/3H/5DPS was tanks on 25k and 28k, 4 DPS on ~40k and one doing 53.5k because he's a bit special.

I'm a big fan of paring back on tanks and healers as much as possible, but it was such a smooth, controlled kill that I think I'll struggle to convince anyone to try another setup now.
Epimer

Postby Calleana » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I thought that was the issue, most of our dps was in the 35-53k bracket but our 6th was 28k. The tanks were 25kish and ot was about 30k. Thanks for the numbers guys, now I just need to get my raiders to gear up rather than play star wars during our Christmas break.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Pinupgirl_Madoran » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37 am

Code: Select all
Spec                  Damage Done       Healing Done    Healer          DPS          HPS
Arcane 401            35406278          91507           FALSE          44093.3       -
Shadow 603            36559609          4238888         FALSE          45529.6       -
Assassination 701     39710634          85664           FALSE          49453.8       -
Holy 602              225879            10558516        TRUE             -          13149.1
Demonology 902        38189475          1801590         FALSE          47559.4       -
Holy 501              138801            12267410        TRUE             -          15277.3
Protection 1003       14905859          58008           FALSE          18563.1       -
Feral/Bear 203        18786196          1198460         FALSE          23395.5       -
Survival 303          29334163          0               FALSE          36531.4       -
Restoration 204       830690            13538864        TRUE             -          16860.7

Calleana, doesn't seem like you're really far off from our kill numbers.
Pinupgirl_Madoran

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 pm

warden wrote:A couple thoughts from our 10 man run:

A feral (kitty) druid or frost DK can pick up the second add and tank it until it dies pretty easily as long as that add is nuked first (maybe a hunter pet could too).

BoP can be used to allow a tank to take an extra impale. Guardian Spirit and/or Ardent Defender might also be able to.

The 3rd healer is often only for a small portion of the fight (such as an extra raid cooldown for bolt). If you're stuck on the line between needing 2 and 3, and hybrid healer (disc or resto sham with their "healer dps" talents) might be the way to go.

Our 10 man run has both 2-tanked/2-healed and 2-tanked/3-healed, and I REALLY want to try a smite spec. We've also solotanked the 4th platform and p2 after losing our 2nd tank on the 3rd and not having a rez--our feral dps pulled it off just fine.

Tell me how the smite spec things goes. I actually want a smite spec priest period!! like just so its like 2.5 healing a lot of the fights!

I can't convince a priest to do it though! Im leveling a priest just for this reason!
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Tebin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Got this guy tonight. I guess the group got geared up a bit between tries. One big help was having bubble and HoP.
We had a 2/3/5 config. Having bubble and HoP for the stacks of tetanus does help a lot.
Tebin

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am

Should you go with Glyphed or non-glyphed Divine Prot for the impales?

Also, when using the divine shield, when is it safe to cancelaura, cuz I assume you need to do it rather fast and cancel it so as tentacle not kill one of the melee dps.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)