Remove Advertisements

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I think Alexstrasza's buff is overvalued, honestly. Blistering tentacles die really fast and cost you less time to kill than losing Kalecgos' +20% and arcane bolt buff. IMO the ideal order should be GRYB for both DPS and healing.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Juugimus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:13 pm

PsiVen wrote:I think Alexstrasza's buff is overvalued, honestly. Blistering tentacles die really fast and cost you less time to kill than losing Kalecgos' +20% and arcane bolt buff. IMO the ideal order should be GRYB for both DPS and healing.

Agreed.

Also, we found that if doing the platforms in that order, it is imperative to have the Corruption killed before or soon after the bolt lands. Many wipes happened with people low on health then getting lashed by a Corruption.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:51 pm

I think Alexstrasza's buff is overvalued, honestly. Blistering tentacles die really fast and cost you less time to kill than losing Kalecgos' +20% and arcane bolt buff.

I totally agree with this, but as far as doing GRYB I think the values of yellow buff is dependent upon your raid makeup. In my group we have been doing GYRB, and keeping the Arms above 90% until after the last set of adds is down. That idea, posted earlier, is awesome. It allows my holy pally to melee the Arm, use DivPlea, whatever to get back to full mana for the burn phase almost every arm. My Druid co-healer can also usually fill up substantially.

We jump to a platform, put a little dps on the arm, blast the Mutated Tentacle, blast the bolt and pick our noses for 30 secs waiting for the last adds (while healers refill and hopefully dps gets some CDs ready, then beat the arm down and move. This takes about 1.5 mins between Bolt and jumping to a new platform, such that for the last two platforms without the slow, I can ALWAYS have AM ready, and anyone reasonably far away and above 50% health always lives. Thats just two bolts to dodge and 1 arm's worth of blistering tentacles vs 1 bolt and 2 sets of Blistering. I can see that without AM or similar raid CD that GRYB might be better to minimize Bolt impact dmg, but for us GYRB works fine. I also think doing Kalecgos last really helps with downing the last set of adds before the arm burn phase. without the dmg and especially the AOE proc there is a much greater risk of the adds reaching 10 stacks and regenerating, taking more time away from dps the arm and wasting more healing on ppl. Doing Blue last is definitely better at most ppl's gear levels.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 pm

The one frustrating thing about this fight is the damn jumping between islands. A couple times per raid night there will be a random jump fails which either kill someone transiting the platforms (unrecoverable as far as res), or get them stuck down below in between islands. That is extremely frustrating when a stupid ass mechanic causes a wipe because there is no recovery for failed jumps.

And it seems to be random rather than poor aiming like Al'akir. Argh.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:59 am

I think the only time I've seen anything like that was when Invis was experimenting with what happens when you Blink mid-jump. Other than that, never seen a jump fail.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Winkle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:03 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I think the only time I've seen anything like that was when Invis was experimenting with what happens when you Blink mid-jump. Other than that, never seen a jump fail.

We had 1 fail jump when a guy had massive lag, other than we had 2 fools run off the side of the platform with the speed buff...lol.
Winkle

Postby Phonic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm

We 1-shot him this week changing to GRYB and ignoring the 2nd set of adds in P2 and burning.

We did have one jump death (myself) and it was a total glitch. I was running with everyone else and I just didn't get boosted up. It was dumb way to wipe.
Phonic

Postby golfinguy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am

Phonic wrote:We 1-shot him this week changing to GRYB and ignoring the 2nd set of adds in P2 and burning.

Not a one-shot, but we downed him after changing to this order as well. We *may* have been able to handle a 2nd set of adds in phase 2 (I still had DP and my Guardian available), but stayed on the boss and got the kill.... barely (5 of us alive).

I fell over once after taking an impale under AD - left me at low health and I didn't get a heal in time. Best to keep a WoG at the ready for the impale. Lesson learned :oops:

Can also confirm that Thrall is a hater and will occasionally let someone fall to their death :evil:

On another note - we got the mount drop. I rolled a 98! ....and lost to a 99. I hate my co-tank :evil: :wink:
golfinguy

Postby Juugimus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 am

golfinguy wrote:
Phonic wrote:We 1-shot him this week changing to GRYB and ignoring the 2nd set of adds in P2 and burning.

Not a one-shot, but we downed him after changing to this order as well. We *may* have been able to handle a 2nd set of adds in phase 2 (I still had DP and my Guardian available), but stayed on the boss and got the kill.... barely (5 of us alive).

I fell over once after taking an impale under AD - left me at low health and I didn't get a heal in time. Best to keep a WoG at the ready for the impale. Lesson learned :oops:

Can also confirm that Thrall is a hater and will occasionally let someone fall to their death :evil:

On another note - we got the mount drop. I rolled a 98! ....and lost to a 99. I hate my co-tank :evil: :wink:

Were you two tanking this? If so, the tentacle will mark his impale target with an arrow (shows up as a counter on Vuh Do as well), once the tank with aggro gets marked, the the other tank can taunt the boss a few seconds BEFORE the impale lands and the tentacle will immediately switch to the second tank after impale there by avoiding any impale/melee combo deaths.

Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby golfinguy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

Juugimus wrote:
golfinguy wrote:

Were you two tanking this? If so, the tentacle will mark his impale target with an arrow (shows up as a counter on Vuh Do as well), once the tank with aggro gets marked, the the other tank can taunt the boss a few seconds BEFORE the impale lands and the tentacle will immediately switch to the second tank after impale there by avoiding any impale/melee combo deaths.

One tank - my co-tank was frost dps for this.
golfinguy

Postby Juugimus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:24 pm

golfinguy wrote:

Are you using Glyphed DP? If not, I would use DP with AD every time I used it for impale. It will be up for every one.

Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby golfinguy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Juugimus wrote:
golfinguy wrote:

Are you using Glyphed DP? If not, I would use DP with AD every time I used it for impale. It will be up for every one.

I do - we're breaking in new healers this patch :wink:
golfinguy

Postby d07.RiV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Haven't tried solo tanking, we didn't need it on neither main nor alt raids. Used 2 heals though.

On mains we did GRBY to avoid dealing with the bolt, on alts we didn't have the DPS to make it without the blue buff, we even used heroism on 4th platform to kill the tentacle before second impale and the bolt.

Can a non-paladin tank solo it? My guess is not due to lack of immunity cooldowns. Also, when we once lost a tank on 4th platform, our other tank was very hard to keep up through the large adds on phase 2, he died together with them. Is a solo tank supposed to mash all cooldowns and just live through it? (tetanus is supposed to be a physical dot, but it still ignores armor and ticks pretty hard)
d07.RiV

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Can a non-paladin tank solo it?

Yes!

We use a bear tank and he is fine on the first 4 platforms. As a Pally healer, I put bubble sac (glyphed DivProt) for every tentacle after the first one and we down the tentacle before a second impale, it is not an issue. I also have AuraMastery for every non-slowed bolt and I can use it in ph2 to help with Tetanus on 1 round of adds.

We were having a problem with our bear tanking both adds in ph2 and Tetanus stacks building faster, so we are having our other tank (Warrior) equip his shield and hold 1 add. As a Pally healer, I put bubble sac (glyphed DivProt) for every tentacle after the first one and we down the tentacle before a second impale, it is not an issue.

Last week Tetanus was still appearing as shadow dmg, regardless of what the tool tip says.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby d07.RiV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, I was thinking of the case with 2 impales, since if you have enough dps to kill the tentacle before it happens, then you should have enough for last phase, even with an extra tank.
d07.RiV

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)