[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 am

Era wrote:This sounds quite interesting, but I'm a little confused by all the tentacles. By limb tentacles, do you mean the many small tentacles that periodically sprout on his limbs, or do you mean the huge tentacle that casts Impale on the tank?

Limb tentacle is the limbs (your main target to push on phase2)
Blistering Tentacle are the many small tentacles (in your description)
the Impaler tentacle is called : "Mutated Corruption"

This tips means your dps have to wait the spwan from mutation corruption, without doing any dps on limbs. You delay this dps until you've got the 100% buff => more burn

The reason is here :
- Burning Blood:
The Burning Blood gushes from the Tentacle, inflicting Fire damage every 2 sec. The damage increases as the Limb Tentacle's health lowers.

The goal is : a longer fight, but easier healing strategy if you are mana strugling or in danger when aoe came :D
Ezelyn

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 am

PsiVen wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and it's the best advice I have for anyone working on this:

Don't attack the limb tentacles right away. In fact, don't attack them at all until about 20-30 seconds after the Elementium Bolt dies. The only limit on how long you can delay is the Cataclysm. The reason for this is that when Deathwing starts to cast Cataclysm, the Aspect channels Expose Weakness which gives +100% damage taken to the tentacle. If you can get away with it, you don't even want to start attacking the tentacle until that debuff lands. If you have a timer for Cataclysm, watch that and delay so long that you wipe to it, then dial it back a bit.

Following this approach I guess you're able to comfortably 1 tank/2 heal the encounter?

Edit - nevermind, saw your post in the other thread confirming 1t/2h.
Rhiannon

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 am

So that would mean zero raid damage from Deathwing while the other targets are up, then a faster burn phase on each limb, making healing easier?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 am

Yeah. 7 DPS should make all the DPS checks fairly trivial really. No overlapping mutated corruption and unslowed bolt etc as a result of the extra dps also means less healing required.
Rhiannon

Postby Era » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:13 am

Ah, in that case, I think that's basically what we've been doing. We usually go like this:

Limb->Mutated->Bolt->Limb.

We DPS Limb for the first 10 secs until the Mutated spawns, then Mutated until the Bolt spawns, then after Bolt is dead we either finish the Mutated or move back to the Limb if it dies before the Bolt.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:17 am

Era wrote:Ah, in that case, I think that's basically what we've been doing. We usually go like this:

Limb->Mutated->Bolt->Limb.

We DPS Limb for the first 10 secs until the Mutated spawns, then Mutated until the Bolt spawns, then after Bolt is dead we either finish the Mutated or move back to the Limb if it dies before the Bolt.

Don't touch Limb before Mutated, that's what they are saying :D
Ezelyn

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 am

More than that, don't touch the limb until you absolutely have to. The only limit on how you long take over each platform is the cataclysm cast. If you take 7 dps/1 tank/2h you should be able to comfortably kill the mutating corruption before it does a second impale (which is the only tank threat in phase 1), and before the elementium bolt impacts on the third/fourth platforms (assuming Nozdormu second). It also means you can leave the limb at 100% for a long time, and still be able to kill it before the cataclysm cast finishes. The longer you leave the limb at 100%, the lower the raid damage, which is why you can get away with two healers more easily using this appraoch. The extra dps and higher proportion of time spent dpsing it under the influence of the +100% damage taken debuff it gets when the cataclysm cast starts means it will die very quickly even if you don't start dpsing it at all til late.

The later you leave it, the more healer mana will thank you, right up until the point you leave it so late the cataclysm cast finishes and you wipe horribly. So as Psiven suggested, try to find that point, and then dps it a little earlier on the next pull.

(In fairness I'm talking about a raid with a 385ish ilevel, with a lower ilevel raid even with 7 dps you may struggle with some of the mini-dps checks that would allow you to bypass a second tank or third healer.)
Rhiannon

Postby Era » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 am

Alright, thank you for the clarification guys, I will make sure to introduce my raid to this idea. I'm fairly sure we're averaging about 385ish ilevel too; at least I know the healers and I are. DPS shouldn't be far behind.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 am

If we switched to two healers (which would be nice since it would mean we'd never have the chance of a second impale + bolt impact on the fourth platform), how hard would the last phase be on the two healers?

Although really... in the next week or so, that iffy possible second impale will likely go away with another week or two's worth of gear.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 am

No idea what raid damage is like in phase two, but shortening the phase by adding dps would reduce the chances of tank death from Tetanus.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:19 am

KysenMurrin wrote:No idea what raid damage is like in phase two, but shortening the phase by adding dps would reduce the chances of tank death from Tetanus.

Can't remember what thread it was in... but someone said that it doesn't matter if the tank dies to Tetanus because there won't be another add wave. So you can basically dispense of me in the second phase without a problem.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 am

There won't be another add wave if you kill DW fast enough. Which won't be a problem with 7 dps, might be with 6, not sure on 10 man. On 25 man we definitely got two add waves in both kills, though the second wave did spawn around 5-6%, and that was with heroism in second phase.
Rhiannon

Postby Era » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 am

Nikachelle wrote:Can't remember what thread it was in... but someone said that it doesn't matter if the tank dies to Tetanus because there won't be another add wave. So you can basically dispense of me in the second phase without a problem.

DISPENSE OF? We are Paladins, we shall not be dispensed of! Bubble and watch them wipe, I say!

I've been told that the second phase is indeed quite short, but I guess I'll get to see today whether we've got enough DPS power or not.
Era

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:53 am

Era wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Can't remember what thread it was in... but someone said that it doesn't matter if the tank dies to Tetanus because there won't be another add wave. So you can basically dispense of me in the second phase without a problem.

DISPENSE OF? We are Paladins, we shall not be dispensed of! Bubble and watch them wipe, I say!

I've been told that the second phase is indeed quite short, but I guess I'll get to see today whether we've got enough DPS power or not.

You should've heard what one raider was suggesting about me yesterday... "We can just let Nika die to the second impale and then brez her while we deal with the bolt". D:

And also.. oh right, that makes more sense (@Rhia). I think I interpreted it as meaning that the adds had a finite amount of times they would spawn.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 am

How much difference do you think having the Paladin 4-set bonus will make on this fight? You're at 2 pieces already, right?

Edit: I guess DG would be up for every Elementium Bolt, at least.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)