[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Deathwing

Postby Bastosa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:15 am

Forgrim wrote:What exactly is causing more damage, the burning blood?

Yes, burning blood.

Seemed like it was double or even triple ticking. By the time the arm tentacle got below 20-30% it seemed unhealable. We managed to survive it once blowing raid wall/aura mastery with everyone using the Ysera buff... but still lost our hunter. Healers were over 40k HPS.

Can't imagine what it would be like once we got on later platforms.
Bastosa

Postby fafhrd » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:53 am

Sounds like that's unintended then, although I wouldn't be surprised if they did want to increase some of the raid damage a bit so it wouldn't be such an easy decision to discard Ysera's buff first.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Tamarins » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Tamarins

Postby Era » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Any advice for solo-tanking the last phase with the Tetanus? :)
I suspect we will hit last phase on Monday.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby jekoh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Era wrote:Any advice for solo-tanking the last phase with the Tetanus? :)
I suspect we will hit last phase on Monday.

we did it 2 tanks and found that the Tetanus is insane with stacking and noticed that the codex is also wrong with tetanus as the damage is not physical damage but shadow damage.
the stack duration is very short (5sec)and refresh at the latest so if you can avoid to be struck by adds at that time you may reset the stacks so I think it should be possible to reset using buble, hand of protection of a grip far away from a shadow priest.
Maybe it is also possible to use a dps class able to taunt so you loose the stacks and taunt back after. Tol Barad trinket is efficient, once we understood it was shadow damage and not physical it was better. We did not tried to slow them so I do not know if it is possible but if it works it might be possible to kite them and loose stack.
The key to succeed is the ability to loose the tetanus stacks

We did the fight with 2 tanks / 3 heal and hit the enrage of the boss 2 times and finally succeeded by doing the platforms in the order : green / red / yellow / blue instead of red / green / yellow / blue.
jekoh

Postby fafhrd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:18 am

There's some comments from our pally tank on how he handled it Era, in the DS 2/3 Healing thread. I think he bubbled at around 5 stacks. At that point it was ticking for 100-120k ish per second through DP, with around 50% resists. Here was our P2 if you can figure anything out from the logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/26nd ... 769&e=6868
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Era » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 am

I think we'll just give it a shot with only me tanking, and see how it goes. We've got a pretty good flow going with the 1-tank setup now, and I fear that changing it might cause us to fall behind on DPS.

I'll look into the logs and keep the other advice in mind once we get there, thanks. :)
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Técaro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:38 pm

We 2tank/3healed it, and barely killed it on our 7th try after we lost half the raid on botched dps targetting which lead to both tanks dying to the Tetanus adds, whatever they're called. I don't really think it's possible to do the fight with 2 tanks if your gear is more average. At the end of the fight all our healers were beyond oom, in 385-390 gear, and two of them with shard of woe. Onetanking with appropriate cooldowns just feels like a much better option. Bonus points if you can kill the mutilated tentacles before the second impale.
The third and fourth platforms seemed ridiculous for us in regard to raid damage. The third was still doable but the fourth was a nightmare without Alexstrasza's hp buff and the Timezone. We popped Divine Sac+Tranq and Rallying Cry when the bolt landed and I'd usually have to go through Divine Prot, AD, Holy shield (for the following swing) and a 3hopo wog shield to live through everything. And then the raid had people barely surviving the crush after the bolt.
At this point I don't really understand how you'll be able to survive the Elementium Bolt or Impales alone on Heroic.
Técaro

Postby fafhrd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:34 pm

For the Bolts that hit without timezone like on the 4th platform, make sure people are using personal cooldowns to survive it. Iceblock, bubble (for non tanks at least), deterrence, dispersion, shieldwall (non-tanks), rallying cry all work, CloS, feint and dps DK cooldowns probably also work. Also make sure people are GTFOing to the opposite side of the platform from where the bolt lands, the damage is by distance. Spread out after though so you don't all get crushed if a tentacle is still up.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Paoanii » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Técaro wrote:The third and fourth platforms seemed ridiculous for us in regard to raid damage. The third was still doable but the fourth was a nightmare without Alexstrasza's hp buff and the Timezone. We popped Divine Sac+Tranq and Rallying Cry when the bolt landed and I'd usually have to go through Divine Prot, AD, Holy shield (for the following swing) and a 3hopo wog shield to live through everything. And then the raid had people barely surviving the crush after the bolt.
At this point I don't really understand how you'll be able to survive the Elementium Bolt or Impales alone on Heroic.

Are you sure you weren't overdoing it a bit with the cooldowns for the bolt? I found that rallying cry+unglyphed divine prot was more than enough to live through the bolt from full health. I was dipping to about 40% taking the bolt+subsequent melee with only those 2 CDs. Especially on Madness, I found my cooldowns in short supply and was trying to minimize layering them so that I had them when they were absolutely needed, taking the first impale with hand of sac+divine protection and the second with either AD alone or a taunt-bubble and saving my shield wall for emergency situations and for the adds in p2.
Paoanii

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 am

fafhrd wrote:Kill Vid with vent (single tank) for referrence I guess, since lolfirstpage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KIuZpt_WAM

lol Skyrim
Invisusira

Postby Técaro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 am

Paoanii wrote:
Técaro wrote:The third and fourth platforms seemed ridiculous for us in regard to raid damage. The third was still doable but the fourth was a nightmare without Alexstrasza's hp buff and the Timezone. We popped Divine Sac+Tranq and Rallying Cry when the bolt landed and I'd usually have to go through Divine Prot, AD, Holy shield (for the following swing) and a 3hopo wog shield to live through everything. And then the raid had people barely surviving the crush after the bolt.

Are you sure you weren't overdoing it a bit with the cooldowns for the bolt? I found that rallying cry+unglyphed divine prot was more than enough to live through the bolt from full health. I was dipping to about 40% taking the bolt+subsequent melee with only those 2 CDs. Especially on Madness, I found my cooldowns in short supply and was trying to minimize layering them so that I had them when they were absolutely needed, taking the first impale with hand of sac+divine protection and the second with either AD alone or a taunt-bubble and saving my shield wall for emergency situations and for the adds in p2.

I could easily survive the bolt with DP, the cooldowns were for the impale that followed a few seconds after. I was running with glyphed DP so it wasn't useful for the impale anyway. By the time we got to P2 I had dream and some minor cooldowns for the big adds. By the second round of adds Guardian and AD were back up. I was generally more afraid of other people dying on the fourth platform though.
Técaro

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby PsiVen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 am

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and it's the best advice I have for anyone working on this:

Don't attack the limb tentacles right away. In fact, don't attack them at all until about 20-30 seconds after the Elementium Bolt dies. The only limit on how long you can delay is the Cataclysm. The reason for this is that when Deathwing starts to cast Cataclysm, the Aspect channels Expose Weakness which gives +100% damage taken to the tentacle. If you can get away with it, you don't even want to start attacking the tentacle until that debuff lands. If you have a timer for Cataclysm, watch that and delay so long that you wipe to it, then dial it back a bit.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Ezelyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:37 am

Done using dk solotank, with only 1 impale and a good use on CD during P2.

on the 4th platform, we are all going under disc barrier, witch helps a lot :
- less dammage
- better use for holyradiance
Because we are using one tank, tentacle is down before this, so there are no crush incoming.

If you have some dps problem, it can be usefull to have one of them helping on tentacle.
Ezelyn

Postby Era » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:02 am

PsiVen wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and it's the best advice I have for anyone working on this:

Don't attack the limb tentacles right away. In fact, don't attack them at all until about 20-30 seconds after the Elementium Bolt dies. The only limit on how long you can delay is the Cataclysm. The reason for this is that when Deathwing starts to cast Cataclysm, the Aspect channels Expose Weakness which gives +100% damage taken to the tentacle. If you can get away with it, you don't even want to start attacking the tentacle until that debuff lands. If you have a timer for Cataclysm, watch that and delay so long that you wipe to it, then dial it back a bit.

This sounds quite interesting, but I'm a little confused by all the tentacles. By limb tentacles, do you mean the many small tentacles that periodically sprout on his limbs, or do you mean the huge tentacle that casts Impale on the tank?

Assuming you mean the huge tentacle, is the idea that by DPSing the limb in the beginning instead of the tentacle, you will get more overall damage on the limb as you spend less time killing the huge tentacle?

Then, does the tank still keep the huge tentacle and eat multiple Impales, or does he ignore it too and let the Aspect take the attacks? Won't that kill the Aspect? OR is this idea only possible for 2-tank setups?

Sorry for all the questions!

EDIT: Also, a more general question: The Elementium Terrors (debuff-adds in p2) are elementals, can they be stunned by our glyphed Holy Wrath? Or are they fancy-pants elementals like the Rhyolith Fragments that ignore our stun?
Era

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)