Remove Advertisements

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:32 am

Klaudandus wrote:Should you go with Glyphed or non-glyphed Divine Prot for the impales?

Also, when using the divine shield, when is it safe to cancelaura, cuz I assume you need to do it rather fast and cancel it so as tentacle not kill one of the melee dps.

Impale is purely physical damage so glyphed divine protection will do absolutely nothing for you on it. That being said, I keep it glyphed so that I can use it against Tetanus in the last phase. For impales (we only get one per platform), I rotate between AD and GanK. If I'm using AD on a platform where I don't have Dream (third platform), I WoG myself when I've got full HP before the impale hits for the absorption bubble in conjunction with AD. I can't claim coming up with that by myself though, Rhia pointed it out and I've done it ever since.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 am

But the trick for that is to have all dps not hit the limb at all until everything else is dead, right?

That way only one impale per platform, at least that's what I get from reading this thread.

If so, what average should the dps be doing?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 am

On the first and second platforms, dps are free to dps DW's limb until the corruption pops up. They kill the corruption, then kill the bolt. When the bolt is down, they are free to dps the limb until the bloods pop up. Aoe the bloods, then back on the limb.

On the third and fourth platforms they're not allowed to drop the limb under 90% until the corruption and the bolt are dead. They can start dpsing the tentacle when there are 10 seconds remaining before the bloods spawn (although with dps having gone up, they could probably start after the bloods are dead). On the third and fourth platforms it's a LOT of just waiting around waiting for stuff to pop up. (And on the fourth platform, we need to deal with the extra tentacles from the limb as well.)

The reason for all the waiting around is so that healers aren't taxed too much as we were two healing it.

I hope that clarifies it.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:44 am

Holding off on the limb should not be much of an impact to the corrupted tentacle and impale, dps should be switching to the tentacle right away to burn it down. the argument to holding off on the limb is that it cuts down on AOE fire damage emmitted by the limb as its health gets lower, to say nothing of blistering tentacles on the 4th platform.

The 100% dmg buff against the limb during cataclysm cast generally mean you can blast the limb down even from high health, so you may as well save healer stress by going easy on the limb until the hemorage adds are down.

A couple side benefits to holding off on the limb until after the Hemorage adds are down:

1: Healer mana recovery - I generally can get back to full mana to start platforms 2-4, for ph2 I generally need an external Mana CD even beyond DivPlea - yay SPriest.

2: Tank CDs become available for the next platform - Aura Mastery up for Every Elementium Bolt, and Tanks always have at least 1 CD for impale.

3: less confusion about switching to Hemorage adds, so they go down quicker - They regen to full if not killed, instead of half like LFR - sometimes one or two must be single targetted if dps are slow coming off the limb.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm

I forgot to ask, what are the best trinkets for this fight?

I assume one is the broken mirrors for the shadow damage, what about the other one?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Pinupgirl_Madoran » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 am

Klaudandus wrote:Also, when using the divine shield, when is it safe to cancelaura, cuz I assume you need to do it rather fast and cancel it so as tentacle not kill one of the melee dps.

0:00:00 Impale cast
0:00:10
0:00:20
0:00:30
0:00:40
0:00:50
0:01:00
0:01:10
0:01:20
0:01:30
0:01:40
0:01:50
0:02:00
0:02:10
0:02:20
0:02:30
0:02:40
0:02:50
0:03:00 Bubble
0:03:10 Taunt
0:03:20 ^
0:03:30 | Somewhere in here taunt
0:03:40 v
0:03:50 Taunt
0:04:00
0:04:10 Imaple goes off somewhere in here
0:04:20 ^
0:04:30 |
0:04:40 v
0:04:50 Imaple goes off somewhere in here
CancelAura

Time is in Minute.Second.Millisecond

Hand of Reckoning is a 3 second debuff, so you have plenty of time to work with.
Pinupgirl_Madoran

Postby Calleana » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 am

We finally managed to kill the guy last night after our holiday break, despite taking a completely undergeared rogue with us. I think a smiting priest helped a lot as did holding back a little (leaving deathwing at 12%) to get the second wave of adds down.

This is our kill logs if of any use to anyone else struggling:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3g89jec4zipf0whj/sum/damageDone/?s=5059&e=5894

For reference we didn't try out the bubble/ BoP thing as we had a "spare" tank in our bear, so he took the first impale on the fourth platform as I wasn't convinced it would go down quick enough to not get a second cast. He also took the second wave of adds as I'd used all of my cooldowns on the first and still died (I believe looking at the logs I missed dream in the cooldown spam which probably would have saved me!).
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am

I don't think we've had a single time where our tank (Nika) has survived the first wave of adds in the last phase. If the rest of the fight's gone right a combat res will still be available, but apart from our first kill we've generally been capable of finishing Deathwing without killing the second add wave, so whether she's been alive or not hasn't mattered much.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 am

I mentioned this before.

We have our Warrior (OT) dps for thei fight. But when the big adds come out in ph2, he equips a shield and tanks one that the dps nuke down. The MT holds the other, and he and I play ping-pong with it (once he has decent threat) to keep his stacks down. I have taken the odd melee hit when the MT was late taunting back, and the melee is fairly inconsequential, and 1 stack of Tetanus is survivable as a Holy Pally as long as it is just the one.

When we do this, I do have to remind myself to help the other healer out so he doesn't go oom while I'm playing ping-pong, but it does help the tanks survive.

On a similar note for 10h-Morchok, it is possible to have your melee class equip a shield (preferably using a macro) during the stomp cast to better survive, then going back to normal weapons for more dps afterwards.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:13 am

Hrobertgar wrote:On a similar note for 10h-Morchok, it is possible to have your melee class equip a shield (preferably using a macro) during the stomp cast to better survive, then going back to normal weapons for more dps afterwards.

It would be possible, but it would also be completely unnecessary. The damage that a plate DPS takes from stomp isn't anything to worry about. We have our warrior eat it every week. I was also able to eat it without issue on my demo warlock. Rogues can survive it with feint... etc.

I suppose if you're playing catch-up on healing with every stomp, it might be worth trying... but I'd suggest adding a 4th healer and ezmoding it instead.
Belloc

Postby Arincia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am

Id say if you have a holy pally or rogue those would the best soakers for stomp damage (feint or armor almost equal to a tank). but that's starting to go off topic though.
Arincia

Postby Rokh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am

can you still bubble off tetnis?

Did an alt run and our tank for that said it didnt work tonight for him. (jan 11)
Rokh

Postby saif » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I just wanted to thank the posts here for helping us get through this fight - we were struggling with a 2/3/5 comp but we swapped to a 1/2/7 setup with pauses before burning the limbs to mana up and we killed it in 3 pulls. Having a DK tank the second Terrors made Phase 2 a breeze and we waited to kill two sets of adds before killing Death Wing.

Thanks again, I don't know if we'd have finished it as quickly as we did without all the help posted here.
saif

Postby Pallybunny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:23 am

My cds rotation for impale is rather simple (Divine Protection must be unglyphed and you should keep 3 HoPo for every first Impale).

Green platform: 1st - Dream + Ardent Defender + Divine Protection + Judgement (2 items set bonus) + Avenging Wrath + Word of Glory (after Impale occured), 2nd - Hand of Protection
Red platform: 1st - Guardian of Ancient Kings + Divine Protection + Judgement + Avenging Wrath + Word of Glory, 2nd - ask another pally to use Hand of Protection on you or use Divine Shield (you can learn Guardian's Favor instead so you can BoP yourself on each platform, Pursuit of Justice is absolutely needless here)
Yellow: 1st - Ardent Defender + Divine Protection + Judgement + Avenging Wrath + Word of Glory + Ask another pally to cast Sacrifice on you if possible, 2nd - Hand of Protection
Blue: 1st - Guardian of Ancient Kings + Divine Protection + Judgement + Avenging Wrath + Word of Glory, 2nd - if you haven't wasted Divine Shield you can use it to survive both Elementium Bolt and Impale taking absolutely no damage as they seem to happen at the same time

This rotation keeps you >50% all the time making your healers happy! And this rotation is oriented on low dps group, basicly you will have only 1 second impale on green platform.
Pallybunny

Postby Tebin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

This fight is really tedious now. It's just soul-destroying to wipe to someone falling off due to a bug 6 minutes in.
Tebin

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)