Remove Advertisements

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby frontallobe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:29 am

I'll avoid doing obvious strat stuff and just tell you some of the adjustments that helped us get the kill.

- 1 tanking helped with the dps race at the end.
- Pally's seem OP for the 1 tank role (i'll explain in a bit)
- Rotation is Green / Red / Brown / Blue (what worked for us at least)
- Everyone should utilize the special action 50% redux damage while you have it up on green platform. Saving healer mana seemed to be crucial.
- The Tenticle hits like a truck especially on the second hit. Here's the rotation we used but others should work as well.
- Save lust for final burn phase / tank picking up both adds will need CDs to live / properly use special action to live through shrapnel

Green platform:
Impale 1: PainSup + DP (non glyphed)
Impale 2: Ardent Def

Red platform:
Impale 1: Gak + DP
Impale 2: Divine Shield - gotta be quick on the taunt or you'll lose a melee here

Rinse/Repeat for subsequent platforms.

Hope this helps,
Jay
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Re: [10] Deathwing

Postby fafhrd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm getting the impression that all orders of the aspects are fairly viable. We did what IMO is nearly the worst possible order (Green/Blue/Bronze/Red) because a few vocal people in the raid were adamant that not having to deal with tentacles is key, but still killed it.

There are a few posts about DW tanking/healing/aspects in the DS 2/3 Healing thread too.

Kill Vid with vent (single tank) for referrence I guess, since lolfirstpage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KIuZpt_WAM
Last edited by fafhrd on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Paoanii » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 pm

As a clarification, killing red last was because we decided to 2-heal 1 tank. The extra raid damage from tentacles had a noticeable impact on mana even when we 3-healed, so we figured it would be too taxing to do with 2 healers.
Paoanii

Postby fafhrd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm

There would have been less mana spent on healing through bloods, bolt and crushes though, as well as a quicker kill, you sure it wouldn't have been a wash?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Paoanii » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

There was also a throughput concern with 2 healing and the tentacles. When 3 healing we had to use raid CDs to survive the last set of tentacles and when 2 healing we were already stretched thin on raid CDs and would've been pushing the limit in terms of healer throughput.
Paoanii

Postby hugimborey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 am

My guild killed this tonight. Prolly overgeared a bit(385) but we went green/bronze/red/blue. Found that the blue buff allows you to kill the tentacles easily. 3 healed. Saved our hero for phase 2. We had people who had a hard time finding who was getting hit with shrapnel. We had everyone hit dream on the first shrapnel of each tentacle phase and were able to kill it before a second round. Tanks were also able to use a dream on the big adds and still have it ready for the next round.
hugimborey

Postby munificent » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:47 am

We went in with 2 tanks but this seems unnecessary. With our DPS we were only getting one impale per tentacle, and we were two healing it (resto druid and pally healer). Thinking of having the other tank go kitty or even respec and be a third healer, as the fast-landing elementium bolt stretched healing to the limit.

We wiped on 3%, mainly because we took in an underpowered mage :-/ How hard is it to survive tanking both terrors in the final phase? When I was just tanking the one, I didn't seem to take any noticeable damage but perhaps with two, tetanus is an issue. Can it be bubbled off?
munificent

Postby Forgrim » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 am

I only have experience in 25 man Deathwing, but there was no chance in hell single tanking both terrors without massive external cd's and all your own cd's, and even then with them dead, you had a high probably chance to die due to the awesome stacking dot that they put on you.
Forgrim

Postby frontallobe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 am

Code: Select all
How hard is it to survive tanking both terrors in the final phase?

Hard, IMHO. I had to have constant CDs up but you're given twilight 50% redux and most, if not all, of your healers and your CDs will probably be up to handle these.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby munificent » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 am

Can tetanus be bubbled off?
munificent

Postby Lieris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 am

We did Green, Red, Yellow, Blue for our kill.

1 tank 2 healers. We had some success with 2 tanks and 3 healers on the PTR but the extra DPS makes everything shorter and means less healing is needed.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 am

munificent wrote:Can tetanus be bubbled off?

Fairly sure yes. I know our tank was bubbling off stacks of something to single tank them, and I think Tetanus is the only stacking thing? We didn't really have external cooldowns for him either, with a resto druid and holy pally healing.

hugimborey wrote:My guild killed this tonight. Prolly overgeared a bit(385) but we went green/bronze/red/blue. Found that the blue buff allows you to kill the tentacles easily. 3 healed. Saved our hero for phase 2. We had people who had a hard time finding who was getting hit with shrapnel. We had everyone hit dream on the first shrapnel of each tentacle phase and were able to kill it before a second round. Tanks were also able to use a dream on the big adds and still have it ready for the next round.

To see who is being hit by Shrapnel, either watch for the debuff the target gets, or look at who the tentacle targets - a few seconds after it spawns, it will target its target and you can see who it is on target of target. On 10 you can just call out the names on vent and they can pop dream.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 am

Sounds like some sort of bug/hotfix happened to the fight last night btw, people are saying damage taken has gone through the roof between attempts.

http://i.imgur.com/hEZFk.png

Is it still happening?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Bastosa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 am

We experienced the hotfix last night. It hit in the middle of our first night of attempts. We went from consistently getting to the last platform/Phase 2 to not being able to survive the first platform.

Really hope this isn't intended. We went 2 tank, 2 heals... if this change stays I think there will be no choice but solo tank it to make room for more heals or DPS.
Bastosa

Postby Forgrim » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am

What exactly is causing more damage, the burning blood?
Forgrim

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)