[10] Ultraxion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Ultraxion

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Holy Cow the start of the "encounter" was awesome.

So we are standing on the top of Wyrmrest Temple with 5 aspects and a Yellow button. After it is pushed there is a LOOONG RP section, followed by F-I-R-E everywhere. This is sortof like being in Beth'tilacs area. There are dragons shooting at you and you need to taunt them in and kill them. By the time we figured this out a couple ppl were dead, but eventually 3 ppl survived and were sucked into the twilight realm. Yay MassRez.

Upon MassRezing this way, only some of us had the shadow button. Turns out it only drops in the shadow realm so if you ran back in you won't have it. Don't worry, once the encounter starts all will be pulled into the shadow realm. Some raid members found somewhere that you could also write a macro: /activate ExtraButtonOne (thats a little off, but best I can do from memory).

We were two tanking, but in our few pulls only got just past the second Hour of Twilight. Basically you have to stack like the videos or the dmg is too much and the healing too difficult. The aspects will sometimes drop their crystals on the stairs behind the forward platform where you are probably standing. DBM announced this in raid. One healer needs to go and grab each one, but only one. We did theorize that maybe an arcane mage could steal one, but they are clearly intended for healers. The tank buff seemd to drop about 10-30 secs into the encounter. The Hour of Twilight IS survivable for a tank if he has no other debuff (like 220k tank had like 20k health afterwards), but clearly the tank buff indicates the tank eating the Hour should use his big CD. Using a big tank CD reduces the damage to like 30k or something laughable. But if that tank tries to eat another Hour with a debuff it would probably be bad.

When Hour of Twilight comes, clicky your button (or ExtraActionButton1 macro) to avoid dieing. Note, our shadow priest was able to disperse and share the first one with the tank (That may have helped the tank survive the non-CD one, I don't know).

Hopefully, Ultraxion will fall over and provide nice loots tomorrow :)

Note, I have not yet been in LFR so I don't know how any of the fights compare, but someone in the guild suggested that you probably need to progress in Normal mode to unlock past the first 4 bosses in LFR.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Re: [10] Ultraxion

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:38 am

Hour of Twilight is 300K unresistable shadow damage. I can't imagine that damage is shared (otherwise you'd just keep everyone in Twilight since that's not any more damage than twilight instability), so no clue how your tank lived through it without any cooldowns. You need a major cooldown to survive it based on my experience. Maybe he was a DK.

The tricky part really is the tanking/healing. Hour of Twilight/Fading light can be applied close to each other and back to back, even. Your tanks may need to be quick on their feet to ensure the right person is taking Hour of Twilight. Heroic Will is off the GCD and has no cooldown. You get automatically yanked back into Twilight when the bad thing happens you used will to avoid, so there is a dps advantage to waiting until the last moment to use it. That said, there's not much in the way of risk/reward for that approach in normal since the enrage timer is so easily made.

You probably want to save bloodlust/AoE cooldowns for the last minute of the fight (unless you are a guild that can kill it in under 5, which isn't all that unreasonable an expectation for some of you). Twilight Instability every 1 second is no joke.

Edit: On further reflection, avoiding the 6th minute (5:01->6:00) of the fight entirely would be a solid argument for 2 healing this, assuming you can't already manage that with 5 dps.
Steve

Postby Thanistor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:04 am

Is Glyph of Divine Protection going to be required for this fight? A 40% magic reduction that is up 67% of the time seems pretty powerful.
Thanistor

Postby Paoanii » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 am

Personally I chose not to glyph for this fight, his melee hits hard enough as it is, and the only time its incredibly useful is soaking hour of twilight, but you will have either guardian or AD up for every one of those.
Paoanii

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Paoanii wrote:Personally I chose not to glyph for this fight, his melee hits hard enough as it is, and the only time its incredibly useful is soaking hour of twilight, but you will have either guardian or AD up for every one of those.

I did the exact opposite; glyphed DP for every Hour of Twilight (I was the sole soaker) and a major CD + HS for damage spikes when the MT got Fading Light and I picked up the boss.
baleogthefierce

Postby Thark » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I had a question, and there's no 25 man thread yet. Are you guys finding that there's a soft enrage to this fight? Every time at about the 5:20 to 5:30 mark the raid is falling over. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but we're also experiencing a huge lag spike around that time. We're still 30 seconds from the hard enrage, and on pace to beat it, but then either the raid damage kicks in or we lag and it's over very very fast.

As far as tanking, I've been using glyphed DP alone and surviving each Hour of Twilight just fine.
Thark

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:43 pm

We just got this tonight, 2 healing definitely helped. We had our resto shammy go Elemental, and including the final phase with Heroism, recount ticked 192k for a 4'52" kill.

Interestingly there was STILL the heavy time warp phase. Previously we were getting the bad phase near 5' mark, around 30% health. So I think it is health based rather than time based. Two healing was fine with the buffs from the aspects.

Green gem for Pally heals was sweet.

Healy gems seem to drop per a set timer, always in the same spot. Red drops first, if you turn around from the raid group and run towards the stairs it will be on your right. It spawns ~ 1 minor so into the fight. Green drops next on the left side, maybe ~2-3mins into the fight. Last Blue comes sometime, i'm guessing middle, but I never actually looked to see.

Several raid members complained of a minor bug such that the debuff timer for Fading Twilight was NOT visible in the twilight realm but only visible in the regular realm. I NEVER got Fading Twilight myself so I cannot say.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Tamarins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Thark wrote:I had a question, and there's no 25 man thread yet. Are you guys finding that there's a soft enrage to this fight? Every time at about the 5:20 to 5:30 mark the raid is falling over. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but we're also experiencing a huge lag spike around that time. We're still 30 seconds from the hard enrage, and on pace to beat it, but then either the raid damage kicks in or we lag and it's over very very fast.

"Growing Twilight instability causes arcs of Twilight energy to erupt from Ultraxion's hide. The arcs inflict ______ Shadow damage every 6 seconds, split evenly amongst enemy players in the Twilight Realm and within 30 yards of the target. Every minute that Ultraxion remains in combat reduces the time between arcs by 1 second, to a maximum rate of one arc per second. In addition, the instability prevents Ultraxion from parrying attacks."

This is the soft enrage you're noticing. The raid damage comes more and more often every minute.
Tamarins

Postby Jheherrin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 am

Steve wrote:Heroic Will is off the GCD and has no cooldown. You get automatically yanked back into Twilight when the bad thing happens you used will to avoid, so there is a dps advantage to waiting until the last moment to use it.

How is there any significant advantage to waiting till the last moment to use it?
You get yanked out of the twilight realm for 5 seconds regardless of when you use it.

The only situation I can think of where it would be a dps advantage is if you get a proc/dot that will fade in less than 7 seconds and have to wait for a GCD to pass to use/refresh it before you jump out of the twilight zone.
But even for dots, clipping them at 5 seconds, or waiting less than 5 seconds to refresh them is not significant, even for CoA.
Moonglade EU - Catalyst : Jheherrin,Glowlimn,Caamora
Aggramar EU - The Phoenix Reborn : Kasreyn,Gossamer
Jheherrin

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 am

Hour of Twilight. Read the ability description. Enemies in the normal realm are instantly pulled back into the twilight realm after the cast goes off.

Fading Light. Read the ability description. Targets in the normal realm will be pulled into the Twilight Realm, and all threat against Ultraxion will be reset. Additionally, no threat will be generated for 10 sec.
Steve

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:18 am

Hrobertgar wrote:Several raid members complained of a minor bug such that the debuff timer for Fading Twilight was NOT visible in the twilight realm but only visible in the regular realm. I NEVER got Fading Twilight myself so I cannot say.

My guess? They weren't paying enough attention.

We had several instances of people dying to Fading Twilight... mainly because they were paying attention to DBM and not the actual debuff. The debuff itself is of a variable duration -- sometimes it'll have 10 seconds, other times it'll start with 5. Either way, though, none of us had any issue seeing the debuff in the twilight realm.
Belloc

Postby frontallobe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

The debuff itself is of a variable duration
we noticed this as well. We just told people to look at the debuff and hit the button at 3s left.

We three healed it and beat the enrage by about 30s but our average ilvl was probably higher than it was tuned for (384 ish)

DP glyphed was up every time for me to stay out with the other tank. Other tank was a DK so he AMS and that was up each time as well. Rinse/Repeat.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Juugimus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 am

We three healed it as well and actually had a DPS die and get rebirthed and we beat the enrage by about 30 seconds so it's definitely doable.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby saif » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

We had to 2-heal it, and I was able to soak every single Twilight, the only time the other tank taunted was from the first Fading Light on me after Hour of Twilight. It *almost* seems one-tankable if your healers can keep whoever off-tanks alive for a few seconds through cool-downs, though I don't imagine this is necessary until hard-mode if his health is as big a deal as Baleroc's was.

The 5-minute enrage did become an issue while two-healing, we killed him in 5:15, but it was after a shaman died and ankh'd mid-way through the fight, so his DPS plummeted.

I found dropping out of Twilight when I had between 2 and 3 seconds left on Fading Light was ideal, the DPS was holding off till the same time for both Fading Light and Hour of Twilight just to squeeze that extra swing in.

2 healed with a Holy Priest and a Paladin, I was tanking on my Paladin (alternate GoAK/AD for every Twilight), DK was OTing while I dropped in and out.

This was the first fun fight, though it's just Patchwerk with one extra thing to track for DPS and raid damage instead of exclusively tank damage for the healers.
saif

Postby Tamarins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Belloc wrote:
Hrobertgar wrote:Several raid members complained of a minor bug such that the debuff timer for Fading Twilight was NOT visible in the twilight realm but only visible in the regular realm. I NEVER got Fading Twilight myself so I cannot say.

My guess? They weren't paying enough attention.

We had several instances of people dying to Fading Twilight... mainly because they were paying attention to DBM and not the actual debuff. The debuff itself is of a variable duration -- sometimes it'll have 10 seconds, other times it'll start with 5. Either way, though, none of us had any issue seeing the debuff in the twilight realm.

I can absolutely guarantee that on the PTR, with basic Blizzard buffs/debuffs, the "Fading Twilight" debuff frequently failed to appear in my regular debuff area. I had to watch debuffs on my raid frames to see it. I hope that bug didn't make it to live, but maybe it did.
Tamarins

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)