Remove Advertisements

[10] Hagara the Stormbinder

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Hagara the Stormbinder

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

This one was just like the videos.

Again, we 1 Tank, 6 dps, 3 heals. The key is to do the outside phases perfect to maximize dps time on the boss. We did mark the entrance as they did in the video I watched and it does help to orient the raid.

For lightning phase, kill the one add near an electrical totem, then use your bodies to chain the lightning to additional totems. You can assign spots, we wre lucky enough that it worked the first time, so we just had everyone continue to do the same thing. I think assigning might help though. It takes at least 4 people, maybe 5 to chain to additional totems, so you can go in both directions at once from the initial totem. Possible grp 1 left, grp 2 right or something.

For Ice phase, we pawned the first add, they go down increadibly quickly. NOBODY CAN STOP MOVING. The first time we got to this phase, one person took some damage and a healer tried to cast a larger timed spell and got nailed by the moving ice wall, then I tried to heal that healer and we all died. Just group up on top of the first add and pawn it, then be safe and WAIT for the ice walls to appear and immediately move. Dodging the frost runes is not difficult. The other three adds can easily die from incidental dmg.

Whenever she announces ice tombs, someone IMMEDIATELY call it and all head towards the marker by the entrance, as she will do an ability right afterwards and your raid will be well positioned for it. IMMEDIATELY dps the ice tombs as people will suffocate and cannot be healed until freed.

I think we popped Hero after the 4th outside phase. But when she falls over you get more loots and a nice achievement for the front part of the instance :)
Last edited by Hrobertgar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Re: [10] Hagara the Stormbinder

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Also, I thought the Rogue quest towards the Legendary was a nice touch by Blizz. After we finished all the trash (and be carefull, I got cocky with Holy Wrath and got 1-shot at one point) the boss will spawn and come to the center of the room. We all backed off while the Rogue stealthed in to pick her pocket.

The item he got was a Decoder Ring, not a secret decoder ring, but still, it was very cute. Apparently there is a 12 hr time limit so we let him go immediately to SW to pay the 10k for the next phase of the quest.

It was funny, because later I saw some Rogues begging in trade to 'buy' a 3/8 save so they could do that part of the quest, lol.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby djlar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 am

Big tip on transition phases.. face your camera towards the boss, you can actually see the "walls" of ice coming from the boss, this way you can avoid "accidental" deaths by getting hit by the ice wall. The add seems to spawn from the same pillar all the time, don't remember exactly which side but it was always the same, this way everybody can run out to that spot if the add spawns and quickly dps it down and get the lightning going.

On ice tombs we had an specific point were the targets should be, this way it could be dps'd down by everyone (melee cleaves) but not so close it would cause LoS problems.

I suggesting selling pickpockets in trade but they really wanted to down the boss.. LOL
djlar

Postby Era » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Is it just me or does Hagara's Focused Assault completely ignore block, parry and dodge?
Kind of rendered my CTC coverage moot, as well as my Holy Shield and avoidance trinket...
Only mitigation that showed up in my battle text was absorbs from healing effects.

EDIT: At first I thought maybe it was some sort of Baleroc dual wield trickery again, but every single attack connected every single time, and I'm sitting at a bit above 103% CTC raid buffed.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Tamarins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Quick tip for focused assault: run out. As soon as you're out of melee range, she cancels the channel. I'm not sure if this is intended, because it trivializes the only significant tank damage in the fight, but for now, it's the best solution. Once you get a good sense of when assault is coming, you'll get out so fast that you take almost no damage from it.

Any guesses on whether this is working as intended or not? It seems too easy.
Tamarins

Postby Era » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 am

Tamarins wrote:Quick tip for focused assault: run out. As soon as you're out of melee range, she cancels the channel. I'm not sure if this is intended, because it trivializes the only significant tank damage in the fight, but for now, it's the best solution. Once you get a good sense of when assault is coming, you'll get out so fast that you take almost no damage from it.

Any guesses on whether this is working as intended or not? It seems too easy.

Yup, just figured that out as well!

And you know what, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's actually intended, even if it does make it too trivial.
Considering how easy the rest of this raid was, I'm not surprised that we can cancel that attack...
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Darielle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 am

It's intended. On the PTR she used to not break the channel, so she'd just sit there channeling while being pummeled.
Darielle

Postby frontallobe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 am

Quick tip - When players get targeted by ice tomb just have them run to melee/boss. Cleave train gets them down quick without any consequence for being stack on other players.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Phonic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am

This boss was such a joke on 10 man normal. Sad really... it felt like a 5 man heroic boss.
Phonic

Postby Ghastard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Hag 10-normal was pretty easy. I think we 2-shot her first night...once we realized the tank could strafe out of the 'Focused Assault' we 1-tanked it and pwned her face.

Few things that can suck:
-If peeps dont stack near boss for Icey Tombs
-Too slow spreading chain lightning for killing lightning totems
-LoS issues healing tank sometimes after Icey Tomb
Ghastard

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 am

We did it with some fairly unstuffed DPS and healer (one of each), and actually noticed she has an enrage :-p Nothing harsh or fancy, but good to keep in mind.

Also, get casters spread somewhat around the boss in the main phase and get them to stand in the ice lance paths - it reduces autoattack time for whoever is targeted. It might make a difference on heroic.

Besides that, yeah, it's a fairly easy one when people dodge the wall. On a sidenote, did you notice how lag tends to appear on Hagara? Strangely, all the ice wall deaths tended to be due to lag! :D
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 am

Sagara wrote:Also, get casters spread somewhat around the boss in the main phase and get them to stand in the ice lance paths - it reduces autoattack time for whoever is targeted. It might make a difference on heroic.

On heroic they apply a stacking damage debuff, so you probably need more than one person to soak each ice lance. On normal, yeah, just have your ranged stand in the beam for the whole effect.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Just a note for some who read the earlier art of the thread. There was a hotfix on Firday which altered the boss' Focused Assault mechanic to give it something like a ~5 yard range, so that those backing/strafing away would likely take more than 1 tick of it. On release night, she would stop focus assault almost immediately when the tank backed out of immediate melee range, whereas now her longer range means most tanks likely take at least a little bit of it. Prepared healers can still keep a tank up through it, but backing/strafing out of it seems the best way.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby frontallobe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 am

and on HM she chases you during focused assault so may be worth coordinating/practicing CD rotations etc.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby rodos » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 pm

She definitely has a berserk timer. We hit it last night due to some early deaths to ice walls. Looks like it comes at the 8 minute mark or just after in 10N. Basically you have to kill her by the end of the 5th exhausted phase.
rodos

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)