fafhrd

Re: [10H] Majordomo Staghelm

Postby Bellante » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah, sorry about that.

Uhm. More cats?
Bellante

Postby cncaudata » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:51 pm

So, we've been killing this with what amounts to the "hard" way, i.e. taking 6+ cleaves. While it works, it leaves us extremely tight on dps (our first kill was with dots with 1 paladin left alive). We don't have a paladin tank available, so how would we execute the 0-1 cleaves plan with a warrior? Our priest is also a lot more comfortable as disc, though I'm sure he'd switch if asked.

Are raid and warrior cooldowns enough to take 1 cleave alone?

How do you position for cats given that you're immediately going back to cat? Just have everyone on one side, then the opposite side the next phase?
cncaudata

Postby Belloc » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 pm

cncaudata wrote:So, we've been killing this with what amounts to the "hard" way, i.e. taking 6+ cleaves. While it works, it leaves us extremely tight on dps (our first kill was with dots with 1 paladin left alive). We don't have a paladin tank available, so how would we execute the 0-1 cleaves plan with a warrior? Our priest is also a lot more comfortable as disc, though I'm sure he'd switch if asked.

Are raid and warrior cooldowns enough to take 1 cleave alone?

How do you position for cats given that you're immediately going back to cat? Just have everyone on one side, then the opposite side the next phase?

My suggestion would be to forget about the whole "eating cleaves" strategy. It's completely unnecessary.

Either start off with 8 people + pets eating a cycle of cleaves and then skip all future cleaves (by spreading out at about 80 energy during scorpion phases) or just don't even get a cleave during the first scorpion phase. You should be fine. All of this solo-tanking cleaves stuff does is give you two cleaves worth of DPS time. It's not going to make or break anyone's kill.

If you do want to eat a cleave with your warrior tank, just do the math on their cooldowns with regard to the cleave damage.
Belloc

Postby Chronos » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 pm

If you do want to eat flame scythes have 2-3 top dps stand out building concentration and take a smaller number of scythes than normal.

But I agree with Belloc, just move out at 85 energy before the first scythe for any scorpion form. More form changes/higher fury but also higher concentration for much longer for everyone. Reasonable to 2 heal with a zero flame scythe strategy. Also, considering that anytime Flame Scythe hits less than 7 people he instantly regains 50 energy, you aren't buying yourself much time solo soaking a flame scythe anyway.

Whether you eat a few scythes or try to use only leaps, bring a melee heavy group as leaping flames' targeting is spec based and won't leap a melee. Have healers/tank soaking orbs to maximize dps' concentration. In cat form you've got the whole room, use one side then another. Probably better to use immunities to prevent seed application than for orb soaking.

edit: Video of only cat form (almost): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TytjWzAV2zc
Arcane mage POV, the mage just melts the spirits... they used 7 dps, resto druid, holy pali, the only scythe they ate they used tranquility for. Looked like they did have have warrior/spriest dps soaking one orb and resto druid/ele sham tanking the other. 8:15 minute kill with their dps.
Chronos

Postby Treck » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:24 am

You can actually keep changing his forms indefinately without ever taking a leap/cleave for the whole fight.
"Hardest" thing is as always the orbs but since there isnt much else to worry about its still pretty easy.
This is a lot easier to do in 10man compared to 25man as you can have the assignement of who goes in/out easily coordinated in 10man, while its a bit harder to do in 25man.
Very dps and healing friendly this way as theres basicly only the tank to heal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efS88FCK ... r_embedded

Also, did anyone knew he grows with the buffs he gets?
Treck

Postby Chronos » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:41 am

31 form changes... haha... What a ridiculously awesome kill
Chronos

Postby Darielle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 am

Mmm, assuming people can dodge Leap (which they should), forcing more Seeds/Orbs seems like it would just make people lose Concentration more often, so I'm not sure how that logic works.
Darielle

Postby Arincia » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Any tips for helping to survive the orb phase (using cat x 8 scorp x 0)? We get there and even using tank+melee on one orb and healer+dps/dps+dps on other orb we end up losing someone or wiping at that point somehow. I know there's lot of rng with that phase (and with a few void zones from leaps left over) but is there a way to make it more consistent to get past that phase and not lose people?

Just asking because the one time my group got past this we had a 13% wipe after losing 1 person in first orb phase @5 minutes and another at the 8:30 mark with 30 seconds left on enrage. (so time was 9:30 and one dead at 4:30 and another 8:30 during 2nd orb phase)
Arincia

Postby fafhrd » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Belloc wrote:Either start off with 8 people + pets eating a cycle of cleaves

Just for clarification, I'm fairly sure pets don't reduce the damage of a cleave, they just take the same damage as everyone else would have if they hadn't been there. Someone posted a log comparing it on R&D, although I didn't really check their math to confirm the claim.

Easy test I guess would be to take a comp that does the pally + 2 spriests thing to soak a slash, replace the 2 spriests with 2 pets, and see if everyone gets oneshot or not.

I still don't understand how dps is a problem on this btw, we absolutely don't have all that great dps (mage and lock rank often, others very rarely) but even doing pretty much everything that would reduce DPS (3 healing, lots of slashes mostly soaked by the whole raid, only dps soaking orbs) we're miles ahead of the enrage. If you can beat Baleroc or Beth or Rhyo you should have tons of dps to spare for Domo.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:15 pm

You're absolutely right -- pets do not lower the damage that the raid takes. I find this very disappointing :P
Belloc

Postby Treck » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 pm

They for sure said pets should start taking damage from the cleaves, but if they do take damage, they dont seem to be split the same way as if it was another player.
Since people exploited using a pet tank the first 2 resets, not taking cleave damage aka keeping it in scorpion form for the whole fight, they changed it so they take damage from it aswell, however that works.
Treck

Postby Vathral2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 am

Arincia wrote:Any tips for helping to survive the orb phase (using cat x 8 scorp x 0)? We get there and even using tank+melee on one orb and healer+dps/dps+dps on other orb we end up losing someone or wiping at that point somehow. I know there's lot of rng with that phase (and with a few void zones from leaps left over) but is there a way to make it more consistent to get past that phase and not lose people?

Just asking because the one time my group got past this we had a 13% wipe after losing 1 person in first orb phase @5 minutes and another at the 8:30 mark with 30 seconds left on enrage. (so time was 9:30 and one dead at 4:30 and another 8:30 during 2nd orb phase)

We had this problem too. Here's our kill for tonight using a modified scorp/cat strat. I had concerns with fire as well going into an orb phase, so this is exactly how we personally did it.

Logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/b1raeuw2 ... 61&e=10826

We pull him into us, and we do it as follows:

7 scorpions (hunter, rogue, resto druid out, aura mastery on 6/7 with tranq on 6)
7 leaps
1 scorpion (hunter, resto druid out since if we spread prematurely with rogue out as well during seeds, he goes into cat earlier than what we want, just to clear fire, no CD on this slash)
7 leaps
2 scorpion (hunter only out, no CD on first slash, AM on 2nd slash, this is how we clear fire going into the orbs phase)
7 leaps (tank+melee dps and dps+dps alternating orbs so our 2 healers can focus)
1 scorpion (all 10 in, no CD)
7 leaps
1 scorpion (All 10 in, no CD)
7 leaps (he dies somewhere at this point

We alternated where we'd spread out, going from the north half of the room to the south half every time we went into cats. No issues whatsoever.
Vathral2

Postby Bellante » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 am

Treck wrote:You can actually keep changing his forms indefinately without ever taking a leap/cleave for the whole fight.
"Hardest" thing is as always the orbs but since there isnt much else to worry about its still pretty easy.
This is a lot easier to do in 10man compared to 25man as you can have the assignement of who goes in/out easily coordinated in 10man, while its a bit harder to do in 25man.
Very dps and healing friendly this way as theres basicly only the tank to heal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efS88FCK ... r_embedded

Also, did anyone knew he grows with the buffs he gets?

We've now killed him with 3 different strategies, first being taking 5 cleaves first 2 times and then only 2, with 7 cat leaps, 2nd kill was just 0 cleaves and 8 cat leaps, and last reset we did the no cleave/no jump tac.

The last one was by far the easiest to execute and 2 heal, and was much less likely to result in screw-ups on jumps and such, and the enrage is several minutes away. The main thing about it is to have a solid strategy if both orbs spawn behind the tank, as that's the only eek-moment. We had the tank get to about 12-14 stacks, then a dps would run up and tank it until they reset on the tank, rinse repeat. 2 healing it is very easy, we did it with a holy paladin in 378 gear, and me in resto offspec (about 365 I'd say).

The entire tactic is controlled by the 3 players who are in/out of the group, rest just stand still/run with seeds. Very simple, as the video also shows (did take a few try's to figure out the best way to make sure there weren't any screwups on form changes, which is why I'm posting this).
Bellante

Postby Andover » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 am

What works best for your guild/group set-up on handling the orbs?

Orb next to melee = Tank + 1 melee?
Orb furthest away = 1 Healer + 1 designated ranged dps?

Same people take the orbs every time?

This is our biggest hurdle right now. We got him to enrage so I think we have a handle on it but that was with 3 healers + 1 tank + other tank as DPS but their DPS was way low, like only 13M damage done.

We're going to run with 2 healers, 1 tank. From what I see each DPS needs to at least put up 20M Damage done average for the entire fight to record a kill. My concern with that is the healing orbs, thus this post.

Thanks in advance for the help on the Orbs everyone.
Andover

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)