[10] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am

Chronos wrote:
Winkle wrote: Casters won't want to be near the boss as he does an AOE knockback for melee that interrupts casts.

I suggest you tell your healers to pay more attention, sulfuras smash will be the least of your worries come phase 2.

He casts Hand of Ragnaros, knocking everyone within 55 yards back. I heard things about healers trying to out range this, but we had problems with them not being in range of healing the tanks (40 yards) if the tanks didn't want to get knocked back out of melee range and eat Magma Blast... So if the healers have to be eating these knockbacks anyway, might as well put them in snug to boss so they can avoid hammer/lava waves

It's 55 yards from the centre of his hitbox, and his hitbox is enormous. Look at the distance the pets stand from the boss - if you stand just behind that point you will never get hit by hand of ragnaros. If anyone other than melee or tanks gets hit by hand of ragnaros they're standing in the wrong place.
Rhiannon

Postby Chronos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Ah, I've never been at ranged, didn't realize Hand silenced too? Didn't see that in the tooltip. Thanks Rhiannon.
Chronos

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 pm

It interrupts casting and locks out that school, so if you're hardcasting a spell when you get hit by it you get locked out of that spell school, instants work fine though. This can be frustrating for enhance shamans trying to use hard casts in their dps rotation.
Rhiannon

Postby RedAces » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Being locked out of holy or nature school as healer = silence.
Last edited by RedAces on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedAces

Postby Finkum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Chronos wrote:He casts Hand of Ragnaros, knocking everyone within 55 yards back. I heard things about healers trying to out range this, but we had problems with them not being in range of healing the tanks (40 yards) if the tanks didn't want to get knocked back out of melee range and eat Magma Blast... So if the healers have to be eating these knockbacks anyway, might as well put them in snug to boss so they can avoid hammer/lava waves

It's 55 yards from the centre of his hit box, which is a good 25 yards away from the edge of the platform where melee/tanks are standing. It is trivially easy for healers and ranged to not get hit by Hand; they just have to be in the rear half of the platform (which puts them maybe 25 - 30 yards away tanks, at most).

Your healers absolutely must get the hang of avoiding Smash properly as it continues throughout the whole fight, and not always in the relative isolation phase 1 affords.

Edit: wow, beaten by many peoples!
Finkum

Postby Winkle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:04 am

Chronos wrote:
Winkle wrote: Casters won't want to be near the boss as he does an AOE knockback for melee that interrupts casts.

I suggest you tell your healers to pay more attention, sulfuras smash will be the least of your worries come phase 2.

He casts Wrath of Ragnaros, targeting a random raid member and knocking them and everyone within 6 yards back.
He casts Hand of Ragnaros, knocking everyone within 55 yards back. I heard things about healers trying to out range this, but we had problems with them not being in range of healing the tanks (40 yards) if the tanks didn't want to get knocked back out of melee range and eat Magma Blast... So if the healers have to be eating these knockbacks anyway, might as well put them in snug to boss so they can avoid hammer/lava waves

Healers shouldn't be "eating the knockbacks", and tbh i still can't quite grasp how your healers can't avoid sulfuras waves. P2 and P3 have a lot more to avoid on top of smash. The only solution to your problem is to simply tell the healers to open their eyes.
Winkle

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:52 am

There is a DBM timer for Hand of Raggy. The very first one seems to come about 5 secs prior to the first Hammer ability, and after that the DBM timer will be up. On my Pally healer, I am usually in melee range for SoI returns and I rarely get interupted or otherwise inconvenienced by Hand of Raggy.

Scroll out your camera a tad so you can see if there is a Magma trap behind you, and move sideways if a Hand is coming up. Also adjust your position if a Hand is coming shortly after a Hammer so you don't get knocked into the waves. When Hand is about to be cast, switch to instant cast spells, your tanks should not be so low that they can't take hits for a few seconds while you wait for Hand to pass.

Being in melee as a caster takes a little extra awareness, and I wouldn't do it other than for SoI, but it is doable.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Thaumatrope » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 am

Sorry if this has already been asked - I searched but didn't find anything.

In phase 3, can you use Ardent Defender to soak up a meteor explosion away from everyone and survive? (And if it knocks you into, say, the lava, you could bubble and get back to safety?) I'm under the impression you can't do the same trick directly with bubble, due to it not exploding on you... but I'm not even sure about that.

Anyone know?
Thaumatrope

Postby Treck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:14 pm

AD would be a complete waste.
Bubble works more than fine.
The meteor will be stunned, and if you stay in it you will keep stunning it.
We used this during rag progress when trying to deal with 4 meteors, having 3 paladins one by one stunning them all gave us potentially little over 20sec more in that phase without worrying about the meteors, altho it was risky, and you had to execute it perfectly, or those 20sec could turn out to gain you like 5sec.

If your knocked down, the only way to get back up is by dying and getting ressed up again.
Treck

Postby Vaastra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 pm

After a few hours of tries on heroic rag, we thought we would just kill it on normal . I suggested that it be solo tanked, and we did it with no problems. Has anyone else tried this?
Vaastra

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:06 pm

How did the tank handle the stacks?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Belloc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Stacks can fall off from time to time... and the damage isn't all that terrible until you start getting really high stacks. I'm guessing they got lucky with stacks falling off in the first phase and had stacks falling semi-naturally in later phases.
Belloc

Postby Vaastra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Actually, I ended the first phase with about 9 stacks, and I ended the entire fight with no stacks at all (They all managed to drop off in the last phase). The log for the fight is here http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fuyt6mfcxh6u73w1/dashboard/?s=4&e=276
Vaastra

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm

On PTR it was much easier solotanking Rag than using 2 tanks.
Never actually dont 10man on live, using one or two tanks wont change much tbh, both are pretty easy to deal with, depending a bit on how your healers feel about healing a tank a bit more in p1 than they otherwise would have to.
They keep falling off allthrough p3, and pretty common in p2 aswell, altho its not always (anyone with a shieldwall or smth could taunt it off you for a few sec if you really wanna reset).
Treck

Postby Zalaria » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 am

I don't know what kind of gear you guys are rocking, but I've never had my stacks fall off. I've gotten as high as 18 stacks after my co-tank died, and it only stopped there because he died!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)