Remove Advertisements

[25HM] Lord Rhyolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25HM] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

We assign a DK to them for the slows and the AoE and we have the warlocks or boomkin help out when they're really clumped after fragments are down. We actually don't tank the fragments on them because we ended up with our AoE capped out and fragments not going down fast enough.
Arianne

Postby Darielle » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:05 am

We actually did 3. A couple of Boomkins spamming did the job pretty well, and they can dps Legs/Sparks too.
Darielle

Postby Herrbjorn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 am

We started a few pulls of this tonight to figure out the right DPS split, and I am looking for a little clarification of the sparks. We started to push around 4 minutes into the fight before wiping, and I noticed the 3rd spark came out at 4:10 mark.

Code: Select all
22:17:48 - Fight starts
[22:18:32.316] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith
[22:20:50.466] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith
[22:21:59.291] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith

How long are sparks staying up for successful raids? Should this spark be dead around 4:30, then pop heroism? Thanks.
Herrbjorn

Postby madmessias » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 am

Herrbjorn wrote:We started a few pulls of this tonight to figure out the right DPS split, and I am looking for a little clarification of the sparks. We started to push around 4 minutes into the fight before wiping, and I noticed the 3rd spark came out at 4:10 mark.

Code: Select all
22:17:48 - Fight starts
[22:18:32.316] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith
[22:20:50.466] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith
[22:21:59.291] Lord Rhyolith summons Spark of Rhyolith with Summon Spark of Rhyolith

How long are sparks staying up for successful raids? Should this spark be dead around 4:30, then pop heroism? Thanks.

Thats supposed to be the fourth spark, as u can see theres a 2min 18sec gap between spark 1/2, theres supposed to be a spark inbetween those two, and the fourth you offtank. He doesn't summon a spark if he stomps on a volcano, altho its not plannable etc.
madmessias

Postby Herrbjorn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 am

madmessias wrote:He doesn't summon a spark if he stomps on a volcano, altho its not plannable etc.

So this is something commonly seen, if the timing lines up?
Herrbjorn

Postby madmessias » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:38 am

Herrbjorn wrote:
madmessias wrote:He doesn't summon a spark if he stomps on a volcano, altho its not plannable etc.

Yes, but dont ever count on it happening.
madmessias

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 pm

madmessias wrote:
Herrbjorn wrote:

Yes, but dont ever count on it happening.

Just as a point of reference, we happened to get maybe 5 times that he didn't spawn a spark over the course of our ~80 pulls before our first kill.
baleogthefierce

Postby Maat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi, my guild has been working on this rage-inducing fight for the past 3 weeks. We've finally beaten into the dps' heads that aoeing off the bat is stupid when fragments spawn, which allows me to haphazardly pick them up and bring them to the boss faster. Today we got him to P2 semi-regularly amidst crazy stupid volcano rng seconds before 5 minutes, but the moment he stomps the raid hits 10% or dies flat out.

What we are doing:
1)Sparks tanked generally in front of the boss, fragments on top of the boss for aoe
2) 3 dedicated spark dps, fragments are globally aoed by everyone else along with the slimes. Melee are split on the legs but generally aoe most of the time anything else is in range.
3)Ranged and healers generally on top of the boss barring lava floes, but especially when fragments will spawn
4)We only have 2 hunters at most, so I am on my own to pick up the first wave of fragments, and get an MD to help out with the second, with some ToTs once I get within melee range, sometimes. It takes so long to gather and establish fragments that the 1st wave typically doesn't die before the 2nd wave spawns.
5)BL after 3rd spark dies or at 4:15 (whichever is later) while still aoe'ing the any sparks still up before the 4:35 spawn

He typically has 20-30 stacks of Obsidian Armor gained and 3-6 stacks of Molten Armor going over. Considering that we only have maybe 1 raid cooldown planned for each of the 3 stomps (only one AM, one DG, SL totems/tranq/barrier are used on transition to top people off, do we just need to cooldown better? and any suggestions on pushing him 10s earlier? :(
Maat

Postby Kishandra » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 am

Some tips -

*Figure out a way to tank fragments better because dps need to (and should be) going full out max aoe dps as soon as they pop. Assign certain dps to ae the fragments down, and generally only have them hit them. It's more efficient to have, say, 2 boomkins and 2 spriests spend all their time ae'ing fragments than for your entire raid to spend 1/4 of their time ae'ing frags. Either be more on the ball with threat and taunts, put on full ret gear, or have a dps dk switch to blood presence and tank the fragments when they spawn and only use one tank for the fight. They hit for next to nothing, but need to die before the next wave spawns because a second or two after the next wave comes, they deal half their remaining hp to some random person. Lots of avoidable raid damage/deaths here.

*Don't aoe the slimes. They have a lot of hp, and even if you make an effort to kill them, half of them will reach the boss anyway. All for what? a grand total of 1% damage mitigation on the boss. Better to just have your boomkins/ele shaman punt them when they get close and ignore them otherwise. We do so, and his armor is usually around 15-20 when we push through. If they get caught up in fragment ae, all the better, but don't actually spend dps time on it.

*Try to save as much lust time as you can for the last phase. It's all about surviving the second stomp, even if 2/3 of your raid dies on the third stomp, if most of them were alive to that point, Rhyolith will drop. To aid in that, having lust up after the first stomp allows healers to top the raid up a lot faster.

*Enforce Baradin's hold trinkets on everyone. Everyone; no one is exempt. They will generally halve a stomp's damage, and you can use it 3-4 times throughout the fight. With everyone having a BH trinket equipped, your cooldown rotation will look something like: 1x SL totem, tranqs, DG for the transition. 1x SL totem, barrier, AM for the first stomp. Trinkets and personal cds for the second stomp. Everything you have left for the third (bubble, iceblock, dispersion, ams, loh on classes with decent innate DR like boomkins, etc. should save at least 50% of the raid, enough to whittle down the remaining 2-3%)
Kishandra

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 am

We ultimately found it easiest to put 10 DPS full time on the legs and AoE the fragments on top of the legs (but NOT on top of the Liquid Obsidian, just use knockbacks/slows to control them). We would pop hero at about 45% and generally transition with plenty of time before Superheated begins to stack (which made the damage in phase 2 much less severe).

We were able to steer the boss effectively with as few as 3 DPS per leg, but we found that melee helping cleave the fragments (plus AoE splash on the legs) was much more effective than having the ranged attempt to DPS the legs in their spare time between killing Sparks/Fragments.
baleogthefierce

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am

On our kill we may have been a little behind on dps, but we survived 4 stomps in the last phase ( Really good raid CD's, 4th stomp most are dead). I think that's how it's been two weeks in a row now. Initially they had said to tank the fragments on the legs, but I just couldn't keep up. I agree that it would be a DPS increase, effectively pushing him quicker and what not.

However, I found it near impossible to hold aggro on the fragments and try to run them all the way to the legs, and then have a new set spawn half way across the room. They said they liked it on the oozes because like none got to him. I could have possibly done it better so lets get some questions out there.

I had a lot of targeting issues with 50 little oozes running across the room do you guys turn off name plates? Or use tidy plates and just make those smaller? I'm sure that may be an option on Tidy Plates and that would really help just don't know how to set that up.

Also I was having an issue holding aggro because my shield I swear would bounce and hit the oozes. I glyped Hammer of the Righteous but its still hitting the oozes I'd imagine. Would it be wise to spec into hallowed ground and heck glyph of judgment for a prime glyph over shield slam would probably be more beneficial seeings how I use inquisition with my holy power every time? Maybe I'm just bad at moving and doing my rotation, I suppose that is a possibility, but it just seemed very difficult to get them to his feet.

As far as CD's go in that last phase seriously every player just needs to be more aware. I don't understand paladins who don't use Divine Protection like a lot.Its absolutely amazing glyphed for that fight.

As far as the TB trinkets, if it ends up being such a great DPS loss to where you will have 5 stomps or extra stacks of super heated it isn't worth it. In 25 man you have enough raid CD's to survive 3 stomps, and then on the fourth one if ppl use their personal CD's for the 4th one in cunjunction with raid CD's it should be good.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby madmessias » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:08 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:On our kill we may have been a little behind on dps, but we survived 4 stomps in the last phase ( Really good raid CD's, 4th stomp most are dead). I think that's how it's been two weeks in a row now. Initially they had said to tank the fragments on the legs, but I just couldn't keep up. I agree that it would be a DPS increase, effectively pushing him quicker and what not.

However, I found it near impossible to hold aggro on the fragments and try to run them all the way to the legs, and then have a new set spawn half way across the room. They said they liked it on the oozes because like none got to him. I could have possibly done it better so lets get some questions out there.

I had a lot of targeting issues with 50 little oozes running across the room do you guys turn off name plates? Or use tidy plates and just make those smaller? I'm sure that may be an option on Tidy Plates and that would really help just don't know how to set that up.

Also I was having an issue holding aggro because my shield I swear would bounce and hit the oozes. I glyped Hammer of the Righteous but its still hitting the oozes I'd imagine. Would it be wise to spec into hallowed ground and heck glyph of judgment for a prime glyph over shield slam would probably be more beneficial seeings how I use inquisition with my holy power every time? Maybe I'm just bad at moving and doing my rotation, I suppose that is a possibility, but it just seemed very difficult to get them to his feet.

As far as CD's go in that last phase seriously every player just needs to be more aware. I don't understand paladins who don't use Divine Protection like a lot.Its absolutely amazing glyphed for that fight.

As far as the TB trinkets, if it ends up being such a great DPS loss to where you will have 5 stomps or extra stacks of super heated it isn't worth it. In 25 man you have enough raid CD's to survive 3 stomps, and then on the fourth one if ppl use their personal CD's for the 4th one in cunjunction with raid CD's it should be good.

What i feel got our kill is getting the raid really stacked up in the middle between a few marks, and always tanking the sparks there, if the legs are close, you can tank them inbetween the legs, otherwise i wouldn't bother. If you got trouble getting aggro on the fragments i would def remove the nameplates of the oozes, thats what i did. I also used one dps trinket (revered one with mastery+str) if you are using your raidwall in p3 on the stomps, make sure its used in p1 3min or more before superheated, reduces some damage on a stomp or whatever.
madmessias

Postby Arianne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:14 am

To remove the Liquid Obsidian nameplates (or make them smaller) type /tptp and go to Custom Nameplates. Scroll down to an empty line and click on it. Type Liquid Obsidian in the name field. By default custom nameplates are white. If you want to have nameplates still (which I think is useful), just scroll down until you see the size option and turn the nameplates down to around 30% (depending on your overall threatplates size).
Arianne

Postby Galiks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:31 am

If anyone wants more detail let me know, but I'll provide the most useful tips that get us a repeatable kill each week:

-3 arcane mages, 1 aff lock, and 1 ele shaman switching to spark after 5-6 stacks. Once the spark is down, they switch to assigned legs. Ignore the 4th spark.
-3 survival hunters and 1 spriest AoEing fragments
-IGNORE OBSIDIANS, but be sure to knockback/slow/stun with piercing howl, traps, holy wrath glyph, chillblains. Honestly, ignoring obsidians is most likely a good thing since the DPS you'd lose on them can be offset by constant dps on the legs. Also, removing his armor stacks is risky since he restores health upon eating obsidians with no armor stacks on (since he can't regain his armor stacks once his buff is removed)
-6 healers (2 resto druids, 1 disc priest, 2 holy paladins, 1 resto shaman) ... stack for first stomp with disc priest bubble,spirit link. After first stomp, tranq. After first stomp, spread out loosely to avoid beams.
-Before second stomp, call for all paladins to bubble, mages to ice block, hunters to deterrence, and one Aura Mastery - raid wall as well if so desired. this completely negates half of our raid's damage. blow second tranq after this stomp. Third stomp = AM/whatever else

We use bloodlust at 25%, and he normally superheats between 25-33%. As long as you don't get completely fucked on volcanoes, this strat has reliably worked for us and net us consistent P2's and a 0.1% wipe on the first try this week. The main key to this fight is optimizing time on the legs by putting the bare minimum on adds. We probably have about 6 melee and 2 ranged full-time on the legs, with the spark DPSers (5) switching to legs when not on the sparks.

Edit: Taken from my 10 man H Rhyolith post if anyone is interested...
"I've done a lot of testing upon predicting the next volcano spawn location, and we've decided its predictable. If you have Rhyolith walking in a straight line, he will spawn an active one at a random location on the map, but if you have him turning he will almost always spawn one in the direction he is turning.

Our theory is: the code for choosing an active volcano takes rhyolith's current position and translates that to where he is aimed to turn, as if he was actually facing that direction already. So what we do is we keep him straight, and when he is about to choose another active volcano we turn him slightly to theoretically transpose his position, and he always places an active volcano in that direction.

Now this isn't too useful as the fight is prolonged, as there will be volcanoes everywhere, but it is useful in the beginning to help ensure things start off smoothly. We start hard right foot, straighten him out after the first stomp, then soft right foot to grab the immediate volcano to his right, then go from there.

..Maybe blizzard has some type of tangential trigonometric function in the script and it bugs out when he's not being turned, maybe producing a NaN result :\..."
Prot Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... s/advanced
Moonkin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... ice/simple
Prot Warrior - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... osh/simple

<Rehabilitation Clinic> GM/RL
rcazgalor.guildlaunch.com : 13/13H 10-man: Mon-Wed 7-11 World #49 Overall

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/231362/

Recruiting mage!
Galiks

Postby Maat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for the tips, the adds are going down much better except when they decide to spawn on the spark tank (gg) but now we are constantly plagued by volcano rng and unresponsive turning :(

I really, really, hate this encounter.
Maat

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)