Remove Advertisements

[10] Majordomo Staghelm

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Majordomo Staghelm

Postby Rokh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:40 am

My guild shifts him at 5 stacks, and we have killed him np every week like that. He dies right about 5stacks into the normal scorpion after the cat+orbs phase.
Rokh

Postby frontallobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 am

A few tips for the non heroic guilds trying this

1. Run your first scorpion phase to 7 - we ran to 9 once but it was only 1-2% more dps with many more CDs burned. 7 seems like a good start.
2. Now start using 5 as your max transition number
3. During orb phase we only let it get to 2 then stack back up and deal with the scorpion instead. Too much RNG kitty pounce deaths. This helped us quite a bit.
4. Have your DK switch to unholy - that bubble mitigates one full flame scythe and is up every 2m.

CDs we used
=================
Mirror + DP glyphed = tank full hp on a bad scyth / kitty transition
DK bubble - bit less dps from unholy but worth it (good ams for him as well)
Aura Mastery from holy pally
Spirit link totem from resto shaman
Tranq from our feral kitty
Barrier from the disc priest.

Properly rotating these made a big difference later in the game. Hope this helps. With the orb shortened phase modification we killed it with all 10 of us up. Fun fight, bit of a gear check. (We've been gearing for 4 weeks now on the other bosses. I think the raid team averages in the 368 range atm)

Frontallobe
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Winkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 am

frontallobe wrote:A few tips for the non heroic guilds trying this

1. Run your first scorpion phase to 7 - we ran to 9 once but it was only 1-2% more dps with many more CDs burned. 7 seems like a good start.
2. Now start using 5 as your max transition number
3. During orb phase we only let it get to 2 then stack back up and deal with the scorpion instead. Too much RNG kitty pounce deaths. This helped us quite a bit.
4. Have your DK switch to unholy - that bubble mitigates one full flame scythe and is up every 2m.

CDs we used
=================
Mirror + DP glyphed = tank full hp on a bad scyth / kitty transition
DK bubble - bit less dps from unholy but worth it (good ams for him as well)
Aura Mastery from holy pally
Spirit link totem from resto shaman
Tranq from our feral kitty
Barrier from the disc priest.

Properly rotating these made a big difference later in the game. Hope this helps. With the orb shortened phase modification we killed it with all 10 of us up. Fun fight, bit of a gear check. (We've been gearing for 4 weeks now on the other bosses. I think the raid team averages in the 368 range atm)

Frontallobe

I guess there are different approaches to every boss but i really think the approach of swapping often makes the boss harder than necessary.

Every time MDomo changes form he gets an 8% dmg buff that stacks, so ideally you want the earlier phases to last longer.

How we did it:
Scorpion 1: Straight heal first 6 slashes, Divine Guardian 7th, Aura Mastery 8 & 9 (1 AM covers both), Ardent Defender 10th. Using AD on the last one allows the healers to get the raid back up for Cat.

Cat 1: 7 leaps, tank CD around leap 5 or 6.

Scorpion 2: Trickier because of seeds. Heal 1 & 2. Guardian Spirit 3. Heal 4 and Tranquility (or Spirit link, Priest Bubble etc) 5 and 6.

Cat 2: 7 leaps, tank CD around leap 5 or 6.

Scorpion 3: Heal 1-4, DG 5, Aura M 6, Ardent Def 7.

Cat 3: Boss already dead, screw fire trees.
Winkle

Postby HammU » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Does Guardian Spirit actually work to solo-eat a Scythe? I would guess no, since it only absorbs 200% of the casters life. (contrary to AD which should absorb an indefinite amount) Or should it work in combination with a glyphed DP?
HammU

Postby Kishandra » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 am

Flame scythe does about 800k damage in 10m after resists, split amongst all its targets. Lets say it does a million later on when you're trying to GS it. If your tank has 200k hp, gs will absorb 400k, so you'll need to reduce 1 mil to about 400k - doable with a mixture of two or more: shieldwall, glyphed dp, pain suppression, and hand of sac. A common tactic is to have a shadow priest dispersion and also help soak.
Kishandra

Postby Raive » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

We've taken him down 2 weeks in a row, first week with on about the 4th or 5th attempt, second week on the 2nd.

Our set-up is: 1 pally tank (me)
3 Healers (2 Holy pallies for aura mastery (which is HUGE on scorpion swipes) and a druid)
6 DPS (Had one boomkin for tranq and a warrior for rallying cry)

We push the first scorpion phase to 6, using aura mastery for the last two swipes. We found any higher number than this didnt add up to enough dps to make up for the healer mana being burned.
Cat phases we take to 5 throughout, with everyone collapsing after the 4th leap. We found letting too many leaps go, despite the damage being very controllable quite often led to people not being able to collapse in time causing a leap onto the entire raid.
The following scorpion phase with the seeds we push to 5, with me popping Divine Guardian on the final cleave.
Again, cat phase to 5.
The next scorpion phase is where we pop BL, with it being strictly a burn phase and push it to around 5 or 6 depending on how healers are doing keeping everyone up, most raid CD's were up by this point so it made it a bit easier.
Cat phase, again to 5. The orbs are somewhat hectic but since they dont have a minimum range you really dont have to have people stand way out of the group to eat the beams, it's just whoever's closest.
Usually the boss either dies this cat phase or early on in the scorpion boss.

Hope something I've said helps
Raive

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:23 am

Just an observation on this fight.

Because of the delay between the pull and when the boss arrives at the raid stack, pre-potting ranged (i'm looking at you Arcane Mages) blowing their CDs are able to generate obscene threat (and dps too) early on before the tank has much of a chance. What I started doing as a healer was putting salvation on the mage shortly after combat started, then putting Hand of Protection on the mage once salvation wore off. HoP might be bad for melee classes, but since it only protects against melee damage it allows magic output to continue, but the bubble will discourage the boss from eating the mage until the tank can establish aggro.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby fafhrd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Observation on this fight: if your guild has problems with the execution for Flame Seed or Flame Orbs, on 10 you have the option of not dealing with those mechanics if you don't want to, at the expense of making things harder to heal. He only puts those abilities out if he's been made to transition enough times (every 3rd time IIRC). If you extend the initial scorpion and cat phases long enough by using a raid cooldown for every slash, getting pets to help soak slashes etc), you can definitely kill him without having him ever do a Flame Orb. Our first kill we pushed it and didn't get any Flame Seed casts either, but that was in mostly 372+378 gear, so might be rough for a 359+378 group.

This isn't necessarily a good way to do it, but if you have good healers/cooldowns/DPS and so-so don't-blow-the-raid-up execution, it is handy.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:21 am

Hrobertgar wrote:Just an observation on this fight.

Because of the delay between the pull and when the boss arrives at the raid stack, pre-potting ranged (i'm looking at you Arcane Mages) blowing their CDs are able to generate obscene threat (and dps too) early on before the tank has much of a chance. What I started doing as a healer was putting salvation on the mage shortly after combat started, then putting Hand of Protection on the mage once salvation wore off. HoP might be bad for melee classes, but since it only protects against melee damage it allows magic output to continue, but the bubble will discourage the boss from eating the mage until the tank can establish aggro.

Well, you can just pull him from closer too, his aggro range is pretty small. Having a boss move for more than 2-3s during a pull isn't that great an idea unless there's something very specific about tanking position. Longer than that is a lot of pre-pot time across the raid being wasted.

Tank can move him to the middle of the room (or wherever else you want him) while every spreads out for the first cat phase, and after that the fight continues with whatever positioning you want.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Tebin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17 am

We've just taken a quick introductory run at this guy, but I had a question regarding bloodlust. Is it worth hitting it on engage since the 1st scorpion phase is the longest sustained pure DPS you get, or is it necessary to boost healing later in the fight when he has lots of stacks of form-switching buff?
Tebin

Postby Chicken » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:55 am

We've always just done it during the first scorpion phase, but honestly any scorpion phases that don't have you deal with the seeds debuff is fine. If you can reach him you should have enough DPS that he'll die shortly after his seventh transformation at latest, which is before the damage buff has stacked up high enough to make it unviable to have scorpion phases longer than 40 seconds.
Chicken

Postby frontallobe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 am

We do it (lust) on the scorp phase AFTER orbs as healing is intense and a few classes benefit from the boss being < 35% hp. We're in 367 avg gear I would say. Your mileage may vary.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Destruktive » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 am

Because there is little damage in the first phase, it's really beneficial to draw it out as long as possible. We've been going to 10 stacks in first scorpion, cycling cd's for the 8th, 9th and 10 stack; aura mastery, spirit link and divine guardian, in that order. We also lust at the start to burn him down as much as possible at the start.

2nd scorpion we spread out on 5 stacks and usually do 6-7 jumps per cat phase. He's been dying for us right before or immediately after the cat+orbs phase begins.
Destruktive

Postby Epimer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 am

Destruktive wrote:Because there is little damage in the first phase, it's really beneficial to draw it out as long as possible.

What's the average item level of your raid, if you don't mind me asking? I was healing on our first kill and started to get a bit twitchy at the 8th stack (even with an Aura Mastery).
Epimer

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)